User Tag List

7Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Vehicle creep - just like a gasser w/ an automatic

I've been reading nearly every news post and tidbit I've seen on the Bolt, this was the first time I saw this mentioned:

Quote:
The Bolt has been programmed to creep forward at a stop light exactly like a conventional car with an automatic transmission does if you take your foot off the brake pedal.The regenerative braking is set so the car decelerates just the way a car with a gasoline engine does. There is even a gearshift lever in the usual location, even though there is no transmission. Someone who drives a Civic or a Corolla can climb behind the wheel of a Bolt and feel instantly at home.
http://ecomento.com/2016/01/20/chevy...eneral-motors/

This really turns me off for the Bolt. My understanding is that the Leaf does the same thing. Bleah...

So far I've only driven the BMW i3, and it behaves exactly as I would expect an EV to at a stop. It should stay STOPPED!

And here I was thinking about getting a used Leaf. Will have to get some longer term driving on one, see if I can get used to it.

Maybe I'll just make the savings and splurge for the i3 as well. Eighty miles of range is all I need.
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I would think this feature is probably configurable in the preferences & settings menu. The Tesla Model S gives the driver the option of "creep" or auto-regen and full stop with the foot off the brake. Not a deal-killer one way or the other with me.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I wouldn't expect Chevy to offer it as a user-adjustable option.

I also wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
That article has a lot of errors in it.

If you have the shifter in D the Bolt will creep. If you have it in L it won't.

Take at look at this interview with the Chief Engineer for the Bolt:

http://insideevs.com/exclusive-insid...r-new-details/
Zoomit, V7i7c and jagger like this.

2013 Volt owner. No plug? No sale.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
I thought auto regen was something that would prevent this? Once the auto regen has been turned on, it shouldn't creep.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
I prefer no creep on my EV. It is a waste of energy and an increase of brake wear and human effort holding the EV from moving when you need to keep it stopped. In my gas engine vehicles I shift into "N" and if the road is level, the car will remain where it is. In this case I am also saving on gasoline, since I am not fighting the engine, and the automatic transmission will cool off for seconds until I shift back to "D".

If GM can set the electric creep in the manu, so be it. Let every driver chose how they want their EVs to act and satisfy their needs.

16kW Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed and ready
EVSE registered at PlugShare.com
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
With that being said it would be cool if they gave us more freedom to change and adjust things. BUT one way to look at it is, a minority of buyer will want it, rendering it useless.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well, things have changed since I posted this mini rant.

Two weeks ago I picked up a 2013 Chevy Volt.

We had been out looking at the Audi A3 e-tron for her, I drove a Nissan Leaf just to do it, and then went back to that dealer a couple days later to drive, and then buy, the used Volt.

Yeah... the Volt has 'creep'. Its not my favorite thing in the world. My daily driver cars for the last 15 years have been manual transmissions. Its just habit to sit in neutral and relax at a stoplight. Even our ProMaster van has an automated manual transmission, it holds the clutch in while at a stop until you touch the throttle.

What I have not liked about most automatic cars is the creep often requires significant effort on the brake pedal. With the Volt, it is much softer. The motive force from a stop seems quite less than a gasser with an automatic.

Definitely much easier than holding the brakes on my old '71 Dodge station wagon, 318 V8 with three speed auto, and four wheel drum brakes. On that car I joke there's a reason the brake pedal is 8" wide, so you can get two feet on it, cuz you'll need them both.

So while I still would like to have no creep, I quickly got used to driving an EV that does have some creep.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
The creep is catering towards people who are used to automatic cars but glad to hear that it's not longer an issue for you. Probably could turn it off but the process and the computer know how to do it probably won't come until much later after the release and maybe not worth the potential problems it could cause.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It depends a lot on the particular car and the "looseness" or "tightness" of the torque converter. I've been in some where they barely move if you just sit in idle, and others where it will "creep" pretty aggressively with your foot off the brake. It's a non-issue for me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page