User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Crossbars for Premier trim roof rails

I was expecting something from Chevrolet on this first, but so far no crossbars are listed among the official Chevy accessories. Meanwhile, I also would have expected something from the aftermarket pretty quickly, and it's a bit surprising that you can already get a trailer hitch but you can't even get crossbars for the factory roof rails on the Premier trim. (Thule at least has the Bolt in their dropdown menu but it produces no search results.)

Has anyone heard anything on this? I'm going to need roof rails ASAP once we get our car in early January.
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
We may have to wait for the aftermarket companies to get their hands on a Bolt before we see crossbars. Maybe they need a Bolt for measurement.
Think those universal ones will work?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Definitely will have to wait for the aftermarket to come through. Thule should have something quick after deliveries if they already have it in their drop down menu. Why do you need them ASAP ?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
I really wish the roof rack were an option on the LT. It is the one feature of the Premium level that I could really use, but it's not worth the $4000+ upgrade cost. I really am hoping that the aftermarket steps up with something nice.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
I saw on Facebook someone supposedly stated they were told the load limit for the roof rails is 100 pounds. Take it with a grain of salt, however, as the "some dude on Facebook" source has a pretty sketchy history for accuracy. Lol

100 pounds sound right though.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
This may or may not be worthy of a separate topic, but speaking of spending more for a Premiere just to get one feature, I really need some kind of surround view system to help me park, and I'm not paying that huge extra cash - especially since it also gets me mandatory leather-trimmed seats I definitely don't want. So I'll be looking for an aftermarket surround view system to install on a leased LT...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
Definitely will have to wait for the aftermarket to come through. Thule should have something quick after deliveries if they already have it in their drop down menu. Why do you need them ASAP ?
Bicycles. I have a roof rack on the Spark EV, leased, and which goes back when we get the Bolt in early Jan. (being built this week)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
I saw on Facebook someone supposedly stated they were told the load limit for the roof rails is 100 pounds. Take it with a grain of salt, however, as the "some dude on Facebook" source has a pretty sketchy history for accuracy. Lol

I'm skeptical of that: 100 lbs. is pretty low for roof rails. No point in even providing them with that limit, since just crossbars and a couple of bike carriers (or a box) will weigh most of that without even adding any cargo. That's 25 lbs. per mounting foot.

That said, given what my bikes weigh, I probably won't exceed 100 lbs very often.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
I really wish the roof rack were an option on the LT. It is the one feature of the Premium level that I could really use, but it's not worth the $4000+ upgrade cost. I really am hoping that the aftermarket steps up with something nice.
You'll probably end up with something like I've had on my Spark, which mounts to the top of the door frame. The Rhino Rack was really the only thing available when we got the car, and I have had no problems with it aside from a little bit of extra noise because the clips compromise the door seal. Obviously, this in unavoidable without some kind of mounting points on the roof, which the LT does not have.

http://www.rhinorack.com/products/ro...of-rack_rs284b

One piece of advice that has served me well: apply some 3M clear shield to the mounting points to protect the paint.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post

Would the Bolt owner's manual mention the roof load limit with rails? I assume it's included since the rails are an option anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftieBiker View Post
This may or may not be worthy of a separate topic, but speaking of spending more for a Premiere just to get one feature, I really need some kind of surround view system to help me park, and I'm not paying that huge extra cash - especially since it also gets me mandatory leather-trimmed seats I definitely don't want. So I'll be looking for an aftermarket surround view system to install on a leased LT...
You can get those wide angle round convex mirrors and stick it onto the Bolt's existing mirrors. Those were what I used back in the day for parking before all the nifty side cameras came about.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page