4Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Front cup holder inserts

I realized that my Thermos tumbler rattles in the front cup holder and that there isn't a rubber insert inside them.

I bought an 8 pack of silicone coasters from Amazon and cut them down to 2.5" diameter.

No more rattle.

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Bazinga and jagger like this.

FAIR is a four letter "F" word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
I must have the same Thermos tumbler, and I've been wanting to do something about the rattle. The most annoying part is that the rear seat cupholders are much nicer, and would hold my tumbler perfectly, except I never sit in the rear.

I don't understand how this works, though. The tumbler is narrower than the cupholder. Don't you need something to pad the sides of the cupholder, rather than just the bottom?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil0909 View Post
I must have the same Thermos tumbler, and I've been wanting to do something about the rattle. The most annoying part is that the rear seat cupholders are much nicer, and would hold my tumbler perfectly, except I never sit in the rear.

I don't understand how this works, though. The tumbler is narrower than the cupholder. Don't you need something to pad the sides of the cupholder, rather than just the bottom?

Heres my tumbler:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stain...hermos+tumbler

The bottom of the tumbler is just metal. Previous tumblers had at least a rubber pad at the bottom.

The coasters are thick enough to prevent bottom of the tumbler from directly contacting the empty cup holder. I thought the width would be a problem too, but apparently not.

FAIR is a four letter "F" word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Maybe the coaster is enough to fix the rattle, if not you can always try padding the sides a bit with some adhesive foam, but I'm not sure how hard they are to remove later down the road.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Maybe the coaster is enough to fix the rattle, if not you can always try padding the sides a bit with some adhesive foam, but I'm not sure how hard they are to remove later down the road.
If you're concerned about the car you can always apply the foam to your trusty coffee cup instead.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
After a couple of days I figured out that if I centered the tumbler the sides don't touch the cup holder walls.

The rubber coaster keeps the bottom quiet and prevents it from moving off center which allows the sides to touch.

The cup holdr itself is too narrow for the complete rubber inserts like those in the rear cup holders.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post
If you're concerned about the car you can always apply the foam to your trusty coffee cup instead.
Thanks Sean. I'm trying something similar - ordered some of those silicone sleeve things they make for holding hot coffee cups. May also put a circle of Contact grippy shelf liner on the bottom, based on tk's suggestion.

tk1971 - Surely, the cup must still hit the sides of the cupholder when you accelerate, decelerate, or turn? My cup looks narrower than yours, so perhaps that's the difference.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Thankfully this won't pose much of an issue for me, I usually lay a microfiber over the cupholder opening, and then stick my beverage of whatever sort in and it seats snug. Even if it's something sealed, I don't take chances lol.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil0909 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post
Thanks Sean. I'm trying something similar - ordered some of those silicone sleeve things they make for holding hot coffee cups. May also put a circle of Contact grippy shelf liner on the bottom, based on tk's suggestion.

tk1971 - Surely, the cup must still hit the sides of the cupholder when you accelerate, decelerate, or turn? My cup looks narrower than yours, so perhaps that's the difference.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Phil0909, my cup looks thicker and unless a hit a bump it no longer rattles.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
You guys are brave when it comes to having coffee in your vehicle, more often than not coffee cups leak in my vehicle and just make too much of a mess or have too much of a potential for it.

The only way coffee is coming into my car is as just beans to get rid of smells and for cheap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page