User Tag List

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Smartphone holder

So, I gave it the good 'ole college try. I've been using Apple CarPlay since I got the car. It works.

Slide the phone in the designated slot, plug it in using the extra short 6" lightning cable I bought for this specific purpose... still I can't use Google Maps. Worst of all, with the phone tucked into that slot, I've actually forgotten and left it in the car several times.

I can relearn retrieving my phone from the slot, but I just can't use Apple Maps. Address voice dictation is horrible. I can't say: "1-1-3-4-0 Main Street", instead I have to say "eleven thousand three forty Main Street". Can't get used to that.

In my previous car/setup, I have a phone holder with the phone connected to the car via Bluetooth only. In that car, the holder is permanently attached to the dash.

I have this spare Macally cup holder phone mount.

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

The only thing is that pressing the phone button on the steering wheel > 2 seconds results in OnStar instead of voice commands for the phone. Good thing the phone is easily reachable and pressing down on the home button activates Siri voice commands.

FAIR is a four letter "F" word
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I got a iKross 2-in-1 Tablet and Cellphone Adjustable Swing Extended Cup Mount Holder Car Kit from Amazon. It works well, but using the 10" one as they show blocks access to the buttons below the infotainment screen. I turned it around and lift the arm only part way. It works great!

I got this because I signed up with Lyft to give me an excuse to drive my Bolt. Their app doesn't work with Car Play, so I needed access to the phone while driving.

Voice turn by turn instructions in Google Maps don't work very well with the phone plugged in to a USB port. The voice cuts out a lot. I have to watch the screen way too much.

Ed
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
I honestly never knew they had cupholder phone mounts... yes I've been under a rock. I thought the only thing was really a vent mount but I was worried it may block the infotainment screen... I must look into this now.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
If you don't want to look down too much when accessing your phone, try an air vent mount. Just can't really crank up the head when you're using it but they keep things at around eye level.

I personally use the RANVOO Air Vent Aluminium Magnetic Holder, you stick a magnetic piece to the back of your phone case and it'll stick to the vent magnet.
https://www.amazon.com/RANVOO-Alumin.../dp/B01HQ12396
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
If you don't want to look down too much when accessing your phone, try an air vent mount. Just can't really crank up the head when you're using it but they keep things at around eye level.

I personally use the RANVOO Air Vent Aluminium Magnetic Holder, you stick a magnetic piece to the back of your phone case and it'll stick to the vent magnet.
I recently bought the "AUKEY" version of this. While it doesn't have the cool Aluminum look of the RANVOO, it was a few dollars cheaper. I noticed it worked real well in a new 2017 Chevy Equinox we have in our work fleet, but not nearly as well in my old Jeep. It seems that the vents really needs to have some tension to them and not be too loose (or easily adjustable, if you know what I mean).

Thanks for the link, I need to get a second one for our other car and may splurge for this one. Then it won't matter which vehicle I'm in that day; I'll have one available at all times.

Joe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:09 PM
XBS

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I went with the MOD Armor MobNetic Pro holder, mounted to the right side of the infotainment screen. Works great - I like to use Waze so this was a must have!

http://mobarmor.com/mobnetic-pro/

-George
2017 Bolt EV Premier (Black)
AeroViroment L2 Home charger
3M Crystalline Tint windshield and front doors, 3M 20% tint rear doors and hatch
Kenwood 300W RMS amp with MTX Slim 10" Subwoofer
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm trying a WizGear vent-mounted magnetic unit - but if the magnetic plate is inside the phone case then the magnet's not strong enough for a swift turn, and if the magnet's outside the phone case it tends to pull the base from the vent, argh. So, I'm trying an iOttie extended arm unit on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Not sure about WizGear, but the one i use is pretty good and the phone hasn't been flung off yet even when I make sharp turns and it hasn't pulled the magnet off the vent either when I detach it. At least these things are generally pretty cheap so you can test out a few before you find one that works best for you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page