User Tag List

17Likes

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Chevy Bolt Winter Tire Discussion

It's time to think about winter tires. Our Bolt's run a tire size of 215/50/R17, whether you want to run that or a size you figure is better is up to you. Use this thread to compare and discuss sizing, pricing, brands/models, wheel/tire packages, comparisons, reviews, where to buy, etc.

Starting this thread off i'm keeping myself open to the following three winter tires:
  • Dunlop Winter MAXX
  • Michelin X-ICE XI3
  • Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I've been running Pirelli "Carving Edge" snows on my Leaf for four Winters. They are harder compound "studdable" tires. They give decent (but not great) traction without studs, the range hit is relatively small for them not being LRR tires, and they handle well. The biggest downside is they howl like banshees, even at higher inflation pressures.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Even in snow tires, I tend to prefer tires with at least an H speed rating.

But I will make an exception for Nokian Hakkapelitta snow tires. They are the hot set up for winter here in Vermont.
Boltar likes this.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Alright,
since we talk snow here and cold weather, lets not forget to recommend appropriate Propane Heater like "Coleman" for the interior to ease the range deterioration anxiety and risk of hypothermia if juice runs out!
LOL
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
The X-Ice does have really good reviews. Great dry performance as well which is important for me as sometimes we have a good amount of snow and sometimes it's just really cold and dry. At $152 on tirerack, you really can't go wrong. Ran the X ice 1s a long time ago and the 2s and never had any issues. I'm really inclined to go for these now.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftieBiker View Post
I've been running Pirelli "Carving Edge" snows on my Leaf for four Winters. They are harder compound "studdable" tires. They give decent (but not great) traction without studs, the range hit is relatively small for them not being LRR tires, and they handle well. The biggest downside is they howl like banshees, even at higher inflation pressures.
As long as it provides good braking without any slippage then the whole sound part of it for me would go right out the window, and that's one important thing we need to discuss here. Even someone with say an AWD Subaru still needs winter tires that grip well enough under braking.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
The Pirellis perform adequately in both cornering and braking. They are a little slippery on actual ice - no studs are installed - but overall they are ok. I have, after all been using them for four years! I would expect softer-compound tires to do better on ice, at the cost of reduced range.
Roth33d likes this.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Why not the Blizzak WS80? It will perform along with or outperform all on your list depending on the test.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronus View Post
Why not the Blizzak WS80? It will perform along with or outperform all on your list depending on the test.
I was wondering the same thing. The WS80 is one of the best winter tires out there and definitely out performs the X-Ice and Dunlop Winter Maxx both.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftieBiker View Post
The Pirellis perform adequately in both cornering and braking. They are a little slippery on actual ice - no studs are installed - but overall they are ok. I have, after all been using them for four years! I would expect softer-compound tires to do better on ice, at the cost of reduced range.
Not bad at all, at that point you just have to be as aware as anyone else about road conditions before your tires touch them along knowing what to look out for on the road. Most people living in the city should be in the clear unless the city forgets to de-ice... then you have this:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page