User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bolt spare tire options

As the manual states: ".. if the vehicle does get a flat tire, there is no spare tire, tire changing equipment, or place to store a tire. Contact Roadside Assistance for help.", are there aftermarket options for a spare tire kit ? like a donut space saver ?
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Sure would be nice to have a small temporary use spare tire option for times when you may be traveling in an area that may not have good cellular signal. Just ask Ladogboy!

2012 White Volt to be sold
2016 Summit White Volt
2017 Summit White Bolt premier on the way
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moombolt View Post
As the manual states: ".. if the vehicle does get a flat tire, there is no spare tire, tire changing equipment, or place to store a tire. Contact Roadside Assistance for help.", are there aftermarket options for a spare tire kit ? like a donut space saver ?
I doubt there will be. There is no good place for a spare and the jacking equipment. Of course you can probably buy and carry all that stuff around if it's really that important to you.

I've been driving the last 10 and half years in a car that came from the factory with no spare. That car came with some sort of emergency inflator kit. It has some sort of goop that gets sprayed into the tire and then there is an electric battery operated air pump to air the tire up again. I can't tell you how well it works because I've never used it.

The Bolt comes with self sealing tires, so they already have the goop in them. I think we'll be fine.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfspeakman View Post
Sure would be nice to have a small temporary use spare tire option for times when you may be traveling in an area that may not have good cellular signal. Just ask Ladogboy!
Once we know what all wheel specs are, I bet you can buy a donut spare and of course jacks and wrenches are easy to come by. Assembling a kit to carry with you would be pretty easy.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
With TPMS, knowing that there is a slow leak prevents most flat tires. I haven't had a true flat in over a decade. I have had leaks and just get them fixed. Carry a can of flat fixer and your should be fine for 98% of situations.

7th Year of Pure EV Driving: Gray Bolt | Black Model S | Red Model X | Blue LEAF
Tesla Savings Wiki:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There is a Tire Inflator kit for $95 at http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-ele...essories.html#
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klowenst View Post
There is a Tire Inflator kit for $95 at http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-ele...essories.html#
There is also a tire inflator for $39 here:
https://www.amazon.com/TireTek-Compa...t_sims?ie=UTF8

Which one is better?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ref:

Wheels: 17in x 6.5J offset 44, cast aluminum
Tires: Michelin Energy Saver A/S 215/50R17 all-season
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil0909 View Post
There is also a tire inflator for $39 here:
https://www.amazon.com/TireTek-Compa...t_sims?ie=UTF8

Which one is better?
But the Bolt one fits in the cuts out in the trunk. That's worth at least 50 doll hairs
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I really cannot see the value in having a tire inflator kit for these self sealing tires. Only time might help were if there was a small puncture in the side wall, and that has to be a very rare problem. Larger problem like Ladogboy had would not have been fixed by goo and inflator kit. So I am fairly confident driving around on these tires, going "naked" except in that situation where you may be going on a trip where cellphone signal is spotty, as OnStar also relies on cellular signal...not satellite. A small donut tire, tire tool, and jack would make all the difference here. Would save HOURS if not days. Took Ladogboy more than a day with his situation.

And these OEM tires are currently back-ordered on Tirerack. Not so easy to come by. We do know the specs, just waiting for someone to create and market a usable donut tire to throw in the garage and put in the storage area for those mission critical trips.

2012 White Volt to be sold
2016 Summit White Volt
2017 Summit White Bolt premier on the way

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page