Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Loading screen stuck at power on

17K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  EV Fan 
#1 ·
My wife observed something strange the other day with our Bolt. Not sure if we'll ever see this again, but thought I'd share.

When she got in the car and pressed the power button the loading screen was stuck for nearly a minute as shown in the photo. She pushed the power button to power off the car and then again to try and start the car but the same loading screen was stuck again. Once she got out of the car and got back in the car started up just fine. The weather was in the mid 60's.

Would there have been another thing to try if this comes up again? Has anyone experienced this in another EV?

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Just guessing here- We have two people that have stuck screens and the solution seems to be getting out of the car and back in again. Rather than a problem with the key fob, I suspect the user's cellphone. When the car makes the bluetooth connection to the phone it may have an issue with something on the phone, or what the phone app is relating to the car.

Next time somebody has a frozen screen, try turning off the phone, or at least the bluetooth and see if that helps. Sadly, the reality is this car needs a more powerful computer to run than cars in the past and now, do to consumer demand, that same computer has to interface with a multitude of other computers that can have thousands of different bits of software installed by users. A potential conflict could be a computer programmer's nightmare to trouble shoot.

I just hope we don't have screens going down and computer seizures while we're driving! :eek:

#13 ·
Something that is consistent with phil0909 story is that my wife plugs her phone in and uses Android Auto. I like the theory right now that it could have been related to the phone connection. I will share if it happens again and we'll try troubleshooting at the phone connection rather than musical chairs.

#14 ·
My display goes blank too

I purchased the Bolt last week. Once while driving home for the first time and again today, the infotainment center screen went blank when the power on button was pushed. The screen behind the steering wheel said "loading". After what seems like several minutes, a brief message comes up too fast to read but seemed to say something like "error corrected...". Then everything came back on and my music started playing.

I do not use a cell phone, nothing is paired. Since it did this on the way home after buying the car, I went right back to the dealer. Their service guy had no idea what it could be and made sure my "dimming" rheostat was turned all the way up so it doesn't dim in the dark. Yes, the car seems to drive OK but with a blank screen I pull over and await the system to "load" and reboot.

I called another dealer and told the service guy what happens. He said he would research the issue. Nothing heard so far. Since this thread exists I am surprised Chevy is not listening.

#15 ·
Since this thread exists I am surprised Chevy is not listening.
I'm sure they are, just don't expect a response on an internet forum. All the car companies found out years and years ago not to get stuck in the quagmire that can be an internet forum. GM is not likely to announce a technical service bulletin to their dealers until they actually have a fix. In this case, it is no doubt a software issue and not a hardware issue, so they have to reproduce the problem on their end, figure out why it's happening and then recode the OS. Then they can issue an update version and let all the dealers know about it.

I think a problem like this takes some time because it's intermittent, not an obvious mechanical failure and doesn't seem to effect all cars.

#19 ·
Happened to me as well

Car is only two weeks old, 150 miles. Turned on with the "Bolt EV" screen, but that screen did not go away.
I tried a variety of buttons, to no effect. The DIC still worked, and the fan buttons worked. Pressing "Max"
made the fan and AC come on full blast. No other misbehavior...just the frozen screen.

After three or four minutes, while fiddling with the infotainment power and volume knobs yet again, the home
screen appeared. It behaved normally after that.

Weird. What process takes three or four minutes? Does Chevy push new firmware downloads at random times?
I too had my IPhone connected via Bluetooth (but not by cable). I did nothing different this time compared to
a drive 10 minutes earlier (or indeed every other time).

#21 ·
Took My Bolt in to Dealer and Reported Problem

At the suggestion of several people here, I took my Bolt into the dealer and asked them to check for any updates, etc. My Bolt was built February 2017. Here is their reply on the paperwork when picking up the car.

"CUSTOMER STATES CENTER FRONT DISPLAY SCREEN GOES BLACK AT TIMES WHEN STARTING. LOADING AND ERROR MESSAGES ON THEN AFTER 1-2 MINUTES SCREEN COMES ON. NO DICS PRESENT. DISPLAY OPERATING AS INTENDED. NO RELATED BULLETINS. UNABLE TO VERIFY CONCERN"

So report the problem you are having to the dealer. If they get enough reports they will try to find the problem.

#22 ·
At the suggestion of several people here, I took my Bolt into the dealer and asked them to check for any updates, etc. My Bolt was built February 2017. Here is their reply on the paperwork when picking up the car.

"CUSTOMER STATES CENTER FRONT DISPLAY SCREEN GOES BLACK AT TIMES WHEN STARTING. LOADING AND ERROR MESSAGES ON THEN AFTER 1-2 MINUTES SCREEN COMES ON. NO DICS PRESENT. DISPLAY OPERATING AS INTENDED. NO RELATED BULLETINS. UNABLE TO VERIFY CONCERN"

So report the problem you are having to the dealer. If they get enough reports they will try to find the problem.
So they looked for DTC's, but failed to check for software updates. What a useless dealer :|

#23 ·
Maybe I was not clear. I specifically asked if there were any "software updates" which was the reason I took the car in for service in the first place. Verbally they said there were no updates. I would not blame the dealer. Chevy needs to do something if they can figure it out. As a retired engineer I know intermittent problems are a nightmare difficult to catch the root causes. More reports will elevate the problem. One user report will not do much.

#25 ·
I noticed this last week and wondered if it was just lagging......... even though it shouldn't.

I also hit the start button 2 different times and it didn't start. I chalked it up to not hitting the button fully. But I can't remember if this was before I noticed the Loading Circle or not.

I just turned off my BT and I will go out to the car and see what it does. Well, in a little big. Old blind cat just sat on my lap, I can't move her now :)

#28 ·
My 2020 bolt ev happened to me first time . started up in am everything fine drove 3 miles to store turned off . when i restarted screen came on but no radio ? next stop 2 miles and when i restarted there the info screen never same on just said bolt ev for the whole 4 miles drive home . when i got home powered off and 1/2 hr later all was fine / has not happened since / 4000 miles on car / maybe this excessive heat in ga and my very hot garage / also have my target level set to 75 cause of battery recall.

#29 ·
I didn't see this tip in the thread, but just a reminder that you can force restart the infotainment system (radio screen) by holding down the Home and Fast Forward button for several seconds. It can be done even while driving. However, it will not correct an issue with the Driver Information Center (display behind the steering wheel that has the range Guess-O-Meter and speedometer).

#30 ·
Same problem here. MultiFunction Display is blank on startup with "loading" symbol spinning on the speedometer screen. Happened for about the 5th time last evening. First time was a few months ago. It comes on and goes to normal after 1-3 minutes. 2019 Premier with 66,000 miles. Any new info appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.