24Likes

post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The Front Seats - OUCH!

The front seats are really awful.

My wife and I test drove the car last week for roughly 5 minutes and loved it. We came home in a leased LT.
The next day, 10 minutes into her first drive, my wife said "wow these seats are really uncomfortable" and 15 minutes in she was in pain. Both of us are not big ( 34 inch waists). There is a plastic railing underneath the seat just jams into your hip and makes driving anywhere more than 5 minutes, not a pleasurable experience. It doesn't hurt me so much , as long as i concentrate to sit in the middle of the seat, but comfortable it is certainly not. and why should have to concentrate to sit in the middle of the seat on a 40K car? Sucks because we love everything else about the car.

Now what do i do.... wonder if i can get out of the lease after 24 hours.
post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Check your lease and an attorney - Quickly! You may have three-day rights of rescission under federal law.
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Finding an aftermarket remedy will be MUCH cheaper than trying to get rid of the car now. That much is assured.

post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Would a set of stock Volt seats fit as replacements? I've never had problems with the Volt seats.
geeboss likes this.
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Could there have been “variation” in quality at the seat supplier ? Something that wouldn’t have been checked at the assembly plant.

Doesn’t cost anything to make noise with the dealer & the GM regional rep & the customer care center. Who knows but you may be offered a Bolt replacement seat.
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This guy bought multiple seat cushions off of Amazon and tested them in the Bolt EV at an Auto Show.
While it is disappointing that the seats in a brand new car are uncomfortable, it's a relatively cheap fix:

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/vie...5675&start=140

colaboy29 likes this.
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
The other option is to have your seats modified by a custom upholstery shop. I believe that Boltar here was doing that. I don't know what his progress on that is at the moment.
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Hill View Post
The front seats are really awful.
You guys are making me feel very abnormal. I find the Bolt to be the most comfortable of any car I've owned (1968 American Motors Ambassador, 1976 Honda Civic wagon, 1982 Honda Civic 4 door sedan, 1995 Infiniti G20, 1997 Honda EVPlus (leased), 2011 Nissan Leaf, 2017 Chevrolet Bolt).

The seats are high enough and go back far enough that my legs actually rest on the seat rather than being suspended an inch or two above the seat. There is still an inch or so of clearance between the top of my head and the roof. I can't get over how comfortable this is for me.

Every time I read one of these posts about the seats I go down and sit in the car to see if I'm imagining things. The longest I've driven the car is about an hour and a half and I was just as comfortable when I got home as when I left.

Now that I know car seats can actually be comfortable, I will make sure to consider that the next time I buy a car.
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialed View Post
You guys are making me feel very abnormal. I find the Bolt to be the most comfortable of any car I've owned (1968 American Motors Ambassador, 1976 Honda Civic wagon, 1982 Honda Civic 4 door sedan, 1995 Infiniti G20, 1997 Honda EVPlus (leased), 2011 Nissan Leaf, 2017 Chevrolet Bolt).

The seats are high enough and go back far enough that my legs actually rest on the seat rather than being suspended an inch or two above the seat. There is still an inch or so of clearance between the top of my head and the roof. I can't get over how comfortable this is for me.

Every time I read one of these posts about the seats I go down and sit in the car to see if I'm imagining things. The longest I've driven the car is about an hour and a half and I was just as comfortable when I got home as when I left.

Now that I know car seats can actually be comfortable, I will make sure to consider that the next time I buy a car.
No, you're not abnormal. You're just part part of the subset that has no issue. I'm in that set too.
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Sounds like the wondergel seat can be an easy fix for the set problem. Stinks that you'll have to dish out around $50 to make the seat comfortable, but it's better than taking a depreciation hit if you try to return the Bolt.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page