1Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
myChevrolet App and Key Pass

Hi!

I was lucky enough to to take delivery of my Chevy Bolt on January 2nd. I have one quick question: Has anyone gotten Key Pass to work properly with the myChevrolet App? Apparently it allows lock/unlock, remote start, etc. functions to work via phone bluetooth, but despite what the manual says, the myChevrolet app doesn't seem to have any reference to this at all.

Thanks!
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
I found the chevy site about the app, but can't help you much as I've never used it before.

https://my.chevrolet.com/learnAbout/mychevroletapp
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I think you need on star set up to use my Chevy app. I'm wondering if we can use it after the free 3 months is over. The free 3 months includes most everything. Just checked and supposedly the basic is free for 5 years and that's what you need to run the app.

Last edited by Forman; 01-07-2017 at 10:31 AM.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Arrow

I took delivery of my Bolt a couple of days ago and immediately set to going through the settings to see how the vehicle could be customized. KeyPass is such a prominent setting that it just needed to be explored, thus began my quest. It turns out, however, that there is virtually no public information on what it is or how to set it up. I spoke with my dealership, with Chevy technical support, reviewed the patents database, reviewed GM federal transportation safety board filings, etc. but all to no avail. I finally found an interview with the Product Marketing Manager from early 2016 where he explains what the feature is.

In summary, it is a feature for eventual car sharing applications. Let's say you wanted to rent a Bolt for a couple of hours. You log into an app on your smartphone, check local inventory, find one in a parking lot around the corner, download a security token (a KeyPass) and head over to the parking lot. As you approach the vehicle, the Bluetooth low energy beacon (BLE) in the vehicle activates the application on your smartphone which exchanges the KeyPass with the vehicle. If the KeyPass is authentic and validated by the vehicle, the vehicle flashes its lights to help identify itself and unlocks as you approach. This works from a distance of 200 feet or more based on how much interference is present surrounding the vehicle. The KeyPass application cannot start the vehicle, so I assume the actual key fob would need to be left inside the vehicle. At the conclusion of your ride, the KeyPass expires.

All in all this seems like a cool feature, but not something that is built into the myChevy app (or needed by it for it to perform its remote key fob functions). This is really designed for a use case involving a smartphone that has never been paired to the vehicle.
Bazinga likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Very interesting. Not sure you can lock your vehicle with the key fob inside. My 2016 Volt will not allow it. Good that it recognizes this to prevent one from locking themselves out accidentally.

2012 White Volt to be sold
2016 Summit White Volt
2017 Summit White Bolt premier on the way
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Bill, that's incredibly helpful! I'll stop trying to make it work then.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfspeakman View Post
Very interesting. Not sure you can lock your vehicle with the key fob inside. My 2016 Volt will not allow it. Good that it recognizes this to prevent one from locking themselves out accidentally.
I just hope people don't get to comfortable with not worrying about locking keys inside. If the battery happens to die one day it won't be detected and... you know the rest.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
In the Spark, IIRC you can turn the feature on or off.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi all,

There was a update for the MyChevrolet app for iOS that enables KeyPass functionality in the vehicle remote area. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I will the next opportunity that I get.

Cardyin
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardyin View Post
Hi all,

There was a update for the MyChevrolet app for iOS that enables KeyPass functionality in the vehicle remote area. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I will the next opportunity that I get.

Cardyin
Please let us know how that goes. I didn't think the Bolt would get it so soon since Bill Calle said it is a feature for eventual car sharing applications.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page