1Likes
  • 1 Post By XBS

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HomeLink Install question

I just purchased a sun visor that had a current Homelink module. The module is small enough that I can just fit a part of it inside the headliner at the windshield interface. Now my only problem is to get power to the unit. I am thinking that there must be a wire for the sun visor vanity light. The only problem is that wire will only be hot when the car is on. I would tie into one of the wires going into the front radar/modules but am concerned that there is not high enough amp to run everything. I don't want to mess with the forward accident prevention system. Any ideas? I wish I had access to a service manual I could see what was there. There is a interior light that should draw enough current. The question is how to gain access to it?
Manny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:07 PM
XBS

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just find a good 12v source under dash and run up A pillar don't be lazy!
DaV8or likes this.

-George
2017 Bolt EV Premier (Black)
AeroViroment L2 Home charger
3M Crystalline Tint windshield and front doors, 3M 20% tint rear doors and hatch
Kenwood 300W RMS amp with MTX Slim 10" Subwoofer
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yea that is the right way to do it. When I added the Homelink mirror to the Kia Soul EV+ They supplied the wire and showed how to run it up through the pillar. You have to be careful as there is a airbag in the pillar area. They provided a special attachment as you had to break the existing one and it has an impact on the deployment. Not sure there is an airbag in the Bolt Pillar. At least it is not noted anywhere I can see on the plastic. I connected with the cigarette liter connection to get a hot wire. I then used double back tape to attach this unit to the side of the steering wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
If you have a premier, the digital rear view mirror connector has an ignition 12v.

FAIR is a four letter "F" word
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
I just purchased a sun visor that had a current Homelink module. The module is small enough that I can just fit a part of it inside the headliner at the windshield interface. Now my only problem is to get power to the unit. I am thinking that there must be a wire for the sun visor vanity light. The only problem is that wire will only be hot when the car is on. I would tie into one of the wires going into the front radar/modules but am concerned that there is not high enough amp to run everything. I don't want to mess with the forward accident prevention system. Any ideas? I wish I had access to a service manual I could see what was there. There is a interior light that should draw enough current. The question is how to gain access to it?
Manny
The wire being hot only when the car is on is a good thing. That would prevent someone from opening your garage door when the car is off, sitting in your driveway.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page