U.S. Bolt Owners Traveled 4,570,300 Miles So Far - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
U.S. Bolt Owners Traveled 4,570,300 Miles So Far

In Chevrolet’s latest Bolt press release, the automaker claims that owners have collectively travelled 4,570,300 miles in their brand new electric cars within the span of a few months. More specifically, from December 2016 to April 2, 2017, the Bolt EV managed to save an estimated 175,000 gallons of gas.

Their fuel savings number was based on an average EPA-estimated 26 mpg car, and fuels savings in a electric car is proportional to miles traveled, meaning those gallons saved will increase exponentially. Sure, it may not seem like much compared to the miles Tesla owners have racked up, but the Bolt is still in its rollout process.

Currently they are only sold in California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Washington and Virginia with 3,492 cars delivered. That works out to around 1,308 miles per car.

The average Bolt EV owner drives approximately 53 miles per day, with some driving going beyond the EPA-estimated 238 miles of range.

“One Bolt EV owner set a new range record by traveling 310 miles on a single charge and on a continuous trip. While this achievement is not typical of average Bolt EV range, some drivers are finding new roads and new range.”

Though your actual range is dependent on a variety of factors including temperature, terrain and how heavy footed you are. Still, the numbers are impressive as the Bolt is already averaging around 1 million miles per month.

Last edited by Chevy Bolt News; 04-27-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Probably by 2020 the Chevy Bolt EV will save more gasoline than the Chevy Volt or any other hybrid. has saved. GM must promote these numbers to sell the Bolt EV.

16kW Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed and ready
EVSE registered at PlugShare.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
In 2016, about 143.37 billion gallons (or about 3.41 billion barrels1) of finished motor gasoline were consumed in the United States, a daily average of about 391.73 million gallons (or about 9.33 million barrels per day).3 This was the largest amount of annual motor gasoline consumption on record.

Just a drop in the bucket but at least it's going in the right direction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Guy View Post
In 2016, about 143.37 billion gallons (or about 3.41 billion barrels1) of finished motor gasoline were consumed in the United States, a daily average of about 391.73 million gallons (or about 9.33 million barrels per day).3 This was the largest amount of annual motor gasoline consumption on record.

Just a drop in the bucket but at least it's going in the right direction
Last time I checked, GM was selling about 1000 Bolts per month at least through April. That is a drop in the bucket and makes me wonder why it isn't selling better. As I remember prior to its launch they we building about 90 a day or about 2000 per month. Maybe the early adopter market is already filled with BEV enthusiasts having Leafs, BMW I3s, Teslas etc. Of course, since there is no real advertising campaign for the Bolt, I guess 99% of the public don't know it exists or think it is a Volt. Naming it the Bolt with Chevy already having a Volt was way stupid in my view. Anyway, mine is going fine and I enjoy it. I find few people recognize it as a BEV, or even a new car line. It looks similar to the Honda Fit and a variety of other cars.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
People ask me about the car and I have to say at least twice "no it has no gas". The next question is what happens when it runs out of charge? My answer is the same as when you run out of gas. How many times do you run out of gas? With proper planning and a home charger it is not an issue. If you want gas buy a Volt. This is the best commuter car on the road today. I am fortunate my employer has 20 chargers spread thru out the campus. I have yet too charge at home and the monster truck guys at work give me crap about my free power. The want a diesel pump put in��. The lack of advertising is a shame but they did the same with the Volt. With the better half driving the Volt at 85% + electric and me completely gas free now it's just the home power. Big investment that makes no sense with the current lack of net metering and high grid use surcharges imposed by the so called elected officials on the commission that sets rates for the monopoly power company. The combo of solar and storage in Az could put a huge dent in the profits of these monopolies and they are doing everything in their power to keep their$$$.

2015 Volt Summit White
2017 Bolt Kinetic Blue
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotaledJetta View Post
Last time I checked, GM was selling about 1000 Bolts per month at least through April. That is a drop in the bucket and makes me wonder why it isn't selling better. As I remember prior to its launch they we building about 90 a day or about 2000 per month. Maybe the early adopter market is already filled with BEV enthusiasts having Leafs, BMW I3s, Teslas etc. Of course, since there is no real advertising campaign for the Bolt, I guess 99% of the public don't know it exists or think it is a Volt.
It occurred to me that dealerships have a disincentive to push Bolts, because of the minimal maintenance schedule means less recurring service revenue. And it seems they don't get a fat markup on the initial sale either. Any big push to advertise Bolts would have to come from GM itself. I've yet to see an ad specifically mentioning a Bolt. Supporting this vehicle may have to be a grassroots thing! Tell your friends, tell your neighbors, tell your coworkers...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Yup, I still recall stories of potential Leaf buyers who were disenchanted with dealerships when they tried to buy one. Salespeople tried to steer them towards ICE cars and claim the Leafs weren't even charged for test drives. But the EV segment is picking up momentum with more and more informed buyers doing research beforehand. Dealerships may not push them, but we don't need them to.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page