User Tag List

25Likes

post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First Chevy Bolts Delivered Today

Chevrolet has made good on their promise to make its first sales before the end of this year. GM announced that their first Bolt deliveries were made today and it’s right in Tesla's backyard at Fremont, California.

Maybe this is a dig at Tesla, maybe not, but we do know that there are now three lucky new Bolt owners in Fremont. This took place just a few days after the Volt’s sixth-year anniversary and the GM EV1’s 20th anniversary.

All three owners were excited to take delivery of their new Bolts.

Bobby Edmonds is replacing a BMW i3 with the Bolt EV because “The range and technology attracted me to the Bolt EV. It’s also a great-looking, roomy vehicle and I love the fact it’s from an American brand.” Steve Henry is replacing his Toyota Prius and the Bolt EV will be William “Bill” Mattos’ third Chevrolet electric vehicle.

More lucky owners in California and Oregon should be driving away with their own Bolts soon and then everyone else nationwide will get theirs by mid-2017. In fact, a few Northeast and Mid-Atlantic States including New York, Massachusetts and Virginia should be receiving their deliveries this winter.

GM’s Orion plant is operating on one eight-hour shift a day to produce around 100 Bolts a day and depending on the demand for their newest EV, they may increase that to three shifts.
post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
This is not something BMW will like, the last thing they want is people moving from a product like the i3 to something seen to be lower. Would be interesting to see how it plays out with the Model 3 and what certain buyers history is like.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
As the new owner of the red one (that's me in the blue sweater), I can say that the Bolt was everything I hoped it would be and more. The performance, ride and handling is second to none, and it's far better looking in person than in photos. But I have only owned it for five hours and had to make a mad dash home and put it in the garage because it looks like rain is headed to Fremont.

Ignore the tag line re: the Silver Bolt. Long story.

Cajun Red Bolt Premier with all options. One of the first three in the nation to be delivered to customers on 12/13/16.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Congrats on picking up one of the first three Bolts in California! Makes me wonder if the other two new owners are on the forum too.
Have you had a chance to play with the infotainment system yet?
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmat View Post
As the new owner of the red one (that's me in the blue sweater), I can say that the Bolt was everything I hoped it would be and more. The performance, ride and handling is second to none, and it's far better looking in person than in photos. But I have only owned it for five hours and had to make a mad dash home and put it in the garage because it looks like rain is headed to Fremont.

Ignore the tag line re: the Silver Bolt. Long story.

Did you get inside information? Does the Bolt melt in the rain?????

Just kidding, I test drove Fremont Chevrolet's Bolt in the rain last night, and it was a blast. That "runway" that goes by their lot is fun to push the EV car on.

It was commute, so we did not even think of trying to hit 880.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Congratulations to the Chevy Bolt EV owners! Did anyone from Tesla Motors see you pass by? There is probably more "Bolt Evy" now from all those who put down their money for a Model 3 reservation. I expect many will cancel that reservation and use that money to buy the Chevy Bolt EV.

16kW Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed and ready
EVSE registered at PlugShare.com
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondjram View Post
Congratulations to the Chevy Bolt EV owners! Did anyone from Tesla Motors see you pass by? There is probably more "Bolt Evy" now from all those who put down their money for a Model 3 reservation. I expect many will cancel that reservation and use that money to buy the Chevy Bolt EV.
I expect very few(percentage wise...but that could still be a large number) will cancel a Model 3 for the Bolt. Most(of those that I know) are buying into the "Tesla is sooo cool" fantasy. Many have not researched or looked at any EV. They just saw the opportunity to get a Tesla at mass market price.

Anyone who has put down a deposit after 200,000 have no chance to get the full Rebate, so they will be paying more than expected, and many do not realize that.

The timeframe for delivery also has not really phased them since they were just going with the flow.
Raymondjram likes this.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappcatt View Post
I expect very few(percentage wise...but that could still be a large number) will cancel a Model 3 for the Bolt. Most(of those that I know) are buying into the "Tesla is sooo cool" fantasy. Many have not researched or looked at any EV. They just saw the opportunity to get a Tesla at mass market price.

Anyone who has put down a deposit after 200,000 have no chance to get the full Rebate, so they will be paying more than expected, and many do not realize that.

The timeframe for delivery also has not really phased them since they were just going with the flow.
I bet as the clock ticks...and ticks and ticks....while those reservation holders wait, and wait, and wait....for the Model 3, a good number will see Bolts driving around and be tempted to drop their reservation and get a Bolt because it's here and now.

Plus those waiting for a true $35k Model 3?
Raymondjram likes this.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 04:19 PM

There will be some people who want a 200 mile rated EV, who happened to put down the deposit on the first "offered" one, and will look elsewhere, but many are Tesla or back to Gas powered fancy cars.

A current coworker who drives an Audi was excited he put down the payment for 2 Teslas...but he has little interest in EV cars as a whole.

Another is a Tesla owner, who is looking to have a smaller, around town car to go with his Model S.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappcatt View Post

Agreed. I don't think there is a whole lot of "cross shopping" going on between Tesla and Chevy. Teslas have a "Wow" factor. A 21st century future car look. The Bolt does not. It looks like an ordinary, contemporary economy car. Most of your neighbors would never know it's electric unless you tell them.

Basically, Model 3 wanna be buyers are the same people that will stand in a line the night before to get the latest iPhone. Bolt buyers, not so much.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page