More Opel EVs On The Horizon - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
More Opel EVs On The Horizon

Opel may have been sold to French automaker PSA Group, but CEO Karl-Thomas Neumann will remain at his post and press on with plans to produce more electric vehicles and even a flagship SUV.

In an interview with a German motoring magazine, Neumann told Auto Motor und Sport that "it is important for me to stand before employees and show leadership. I have done this in the past and will continue to do so." We shouldn’t see too much conflict between him and PSA's CEO Carlos Tavares as they both “have great respect for each other”, which sets a “good foundation for continued cooperation”.

Neumann goes on to state that even though Opel’s future models will be underpinned by PSA platforms instead of GM's, the brand will still have its own leadership, its own design and develop its own cars. They don’t want to be similar to each other as Opel is still recognized as a German brand even though it is now owned by a French company.

For the foreseeable future, Opel will be run as a separate company with separate management and the brand will be allowed to sell the outgoing Ampera-e and follow up models with the European market as a priority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
I wish them luck in turning Opel around. It has been a GM liability for decades. I don't fully understand why, but that has been the case. I don't think this transition bodes well for Ampera E sales. I think buyers are going to be wary of buying cars soon to have limited support.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
This is going to be interesting since GM has a history of favoring what its partners overseas does and even pulling from it. The Buick Regal and Chevy SS were some great examples of this, both very succesful in the US. Now in the future we might see some Chevys run a platform that PSA has involvement.

Opel for the most part has made good choices, looking forward to what these EV's will be like.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page