Bolt EV Marked Up Or Discounted By Dealers - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bolt EV Marked Up Or Discounted By Dealers

Car prices can change depending on a dealership’s location and the amount of stock they have. The Bolt EV is no different when it comes to geographical price fluctuations, especially with its 2017 rollout schedule.

Automotive News took a look at the Bolt’s pricing disparity and found that some dealerships are already tacking on signification discounts even though we’re just seven states into the vehicle’s rollout.

As one of the first States to get the Bolt, a Southern California dealer was advertising a Bolt last week for $4,439 less than what a competitor 5 miles away is selling theirs for. Both models are identically equipped, but in order to attract buyers from an already small pool of potential customers, dealerships need to aggressively price their Bolts even if the discounts are taking a bite out of the dealerships' profit.

"If somebody's marking them down, it's coming out of their margin," GM spokesman Jim Cain said. "Dealers are independent businesses, and capitalism at work tends to drive local market pricing."

On the other hand, if a dealership is located in a rural area with limited access to Chevy dealerships, Bolt buyers could see a markup. A few dealerships contacted by Automotive News, of which none has replied, is listing their Bolts for as much as $5,000 above MSRP.

With the Tesla Model 3’s looming release date, Chevy dealerships may be trying harder than ever to lure people away from the long reservation list and last we heard, there are around 373,000 interested buyers in line.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Not too sure why they anyone would have thought that the prices would be consistent throughout for any reason. It's still another car being sold by a dealership. There really isn't anything "special" about it to justify having it stuck at MSRP or a consistent markup throughout.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
The markdown numbers will give buyers whoa re willing to wait an idea of how much it could go down month by month.

Quote:
Nationally, the average amount consumers paid below sticker price grew from $1,400 in January, a 3.4 percent discount, to $2,200 in February, a 5.3 percent discount, according to TrueCar.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 03:23 AM
XBS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I paid $2,750 below msrp.

-George
2017 Bolt EV Premier (Black)
AeroViroment L2 Home charger
3M Crystalline Tint windshield and front doors, 3M 20% tint rear doors and hatch
Kenwood 300W RMS amp with MTX Slim 10" Subwoofer
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
This article is meaningless.

Chevy is not Tesla. GM tried the fixed pricing fantasy with Saturn.

Dealers will sell cars at whatever price they can get away with.

I suspect another article trying to affect sway stock prices (either GM, Tesla or both) to the author's benefit.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
GM still offering 0 consumer cash on the Bolt (no rebates, lease loyalty, lease conquest, farm bureau, etc...).

Only incentive you can receive is if you have GM card earnings to use.

So it is the dealerships that are discounting the Bolt. I am curious if there is some "hidden" dealer cash GM is providing to dealers, though. We as consumers would never find out about that $$$.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Don't dealerships buy the cars from GM at a certain price and then sell it for the MSRP? I assume any price drops are and loss of profit will be absorbed by GM and not the dealerships.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Don't dealerships buy the cars from GM at a certain price and then sell it for the MSRP? I assume any price drops are and loss of profit will be absorbed by GM and not the dealerships.
Yeah. but GM could be offering some incentive money to dealers to help move Bolts. I don't think a dealership is making any money selling a Bolt $5k off UNLESS GM is kicking in some money.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page