User Tag List

4Likes

post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
WHO is buying a Bolt and is shipping it back home?

Curious how many people are planning on picking up Bolts this month that aren't CA/OR residents.

I'm one such person. Plan is to buy from a SoCal dealer, and then have the Bolt shipped back to MD. Anyone else doing that? If so, post where you are getting your Bolt from, and where you are located!
post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
How much more does it cost to have them ship it to MD? I had assumed people who are buying out of state would drive it home and make a road trip out of it.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
How much more does it cost to have them ship it to MD? I had assumed people who are buying out of state would drive it home and make a road trip out of it.
Cost should be in the $800-850 range for an open transport.

Honestly, if I was single and had about 7 days of leave to spare, I might actually take delivery in CA and find a way to drive the Bolt back home. But then I'd have to pay 9% CA tax (versus 6% MD tax)....along with the cost of a 1 way ticket and 7 days of leave I don't have.

Paying to have it shipped will actually be cheaper than picking up in Cali and driving it back (not to mention the time/energy saved). MD tax + shipping would still be almost $600 less than paying CA tax alone. No thanks!

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post

Honestly, if I was single and had about 7 days of leave to spare, I might actually take delivery in CA and find a way to drive the Bolt back home. But then I'd have to pay 9% CA tax (versus 6% MD tax)....along with the cost of a 1 way ticket and 7 days of leave I don't have.

Paying to have it shipped will actually be cheaper than picking up in Cali and driving it back (not to mention the time/energy saved). MD tax + shipping would still be almost $600 less than paying CA tax alone. No thanks!
I'm in MD too. I'll be watching how it goes for you and may be asking you for advice later should I end up going a similar route.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
$800-850 is a lot cheaper than I was expecting and definitely the better choice financially. Originally thought it would be around $1000. If this works out for you, then more member may follow in your footsteps.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Im in TX and I'm using DSR leasing to order, lease and ship. He has told me 650-700. My TPW is 12/19 (using Camino Real Chevrolet). Hopefully, it will be next to my '17 Volt by Mid January.

Rob
Silence likes this.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post

As much as it could help boost acceptance for the Bolt, it could backfire. The Bolt is not intended for trips beyond your 100 mile home radius, especially outside the west coast. Use Plugshare or EVtripplanner and see how many CCS chargers are on route. Then figure you will max out your range to about 160 miles due to freeway speeds, wind, hills, buffer for when you get to the charger and realize that;
1. Most are single chargers
2. It may be occupied
3. It may be broken
4. It may be ICEd
You will probably be using Level 2 chargers as much as CCS, but the bright side is that you can find them for free at grocery stores/restaurants. If you start a gofundme campaign, i'll chip in $20 and throw in another $20 if you can do it in a week. I love road trips but that would be torture. Good luck which ever way you go.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyefrog View Post
As much as it could help boost acceptance for the Bolt, it could backfire. The Bolt is not intended for trips beyond your 100 mile home radius, especially outside the west coast. Use Plugshare or EVtripplanner and see how many CCS chargers are on route. Then figure you will max out your range to about 160 miles due to freeway speeds, wind, hills, buffer for when you get to the charger and realize that;
1. Most are single chargers
2. It may be occupied
3. It may be broken
4. It may be ICEd
You will probably be using Level 2 chargers as much as CCS, but the bright side is that you can find them for free at grocery stores/restaurants. If you start a gofundme campaign, i'll chip in $20 and throw in another $20 if you can do it in a week. I love road trips but that would be torture. Good luck which ever way you go.
CCS coverage is not really an issue in MD.

L2 + CCS in MD:

Even road trips to Grandma's house in CT look fine with the current CCS infrastruture, not even considering future stations:

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Once there's a good amount on the way to Gradmas house... that's the most important.

Seriously though, there are a lot more than I honestly expected. That's pretty darn wicked
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
Once there's a good amount on the way to Gradmas house... that's the most important.

Seriously though, there are a lot more than I honestly expected. That's pretty darn wicked
For comparison, here is the Tesla Supercharger presence in MD. Ehhhhhh......
Dr VS likes this.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page