What other car would you lease for $485/mo? - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

26Likes

post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What other car would you lease for $485/mo?

Reality bites...

From my dealer, nearing signing time: $485/mo for a Bolt premier, 39 mo lease, 15k/year. MSRP. Includes the $2500 "tax credit" cash, includes the bank fee (595), does not include the DMV reg fee (4 year) (444) and first monthly.
About $30/mo less per 1000 down.

Currently, that puts the Bolt in the same league as currently published leases on the Audi A5 or Q5, Acura MDX and more expensive than a BMW 3 series and Lexus ES Hybrid.

Discuss.
BelleLeblanc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That is a very good question and I may need to start thinking about the answer to it too. Unless the Bolt grabs me on an emotional level next year when I test drive it there is no way I'm paying $485 a month to lease one. I want to go full electric now, but I don't have to and there are way too many great non-electric or hybrid options around $500 a month.
BelleLeblanc likes this.
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
That's why I'll be leasing an LT and adding some sort of aftermarket Surround View. I can't justify $500 a month. Maybe for a Tesla P90D, but not a Bolt.
BelleLeblanc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
You also get the CA $2500 rebate, don't you? Can't ignore that.
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oregon
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltar View Post
Reality bites...

From my dealer, nearing signing time: $485/mo for a Bolt premier, 39 mo lease, 15k/year. MSRP. Includes the $2500 "tax credit" cash, includes the bank fee (595), does not include the DMV reg fee (4 year) (444) and first monthly.
About $30/mo less per 1000 down.

Currently, that puts the Bolt in the same league as currently published leases on the Audi A5 or Q5, Acura MDX and more expensive than a BMW 3 series and Lexus ES Hybrid.

Discuss.
What MF and residual on the lease they are proposing?

Gary
2014 Honda Fit EV
Lease expires Jan 2017
NDEW City Captain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association (OEVA)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I admit I'm a little confused on the pricing myself. http://www.carsdirect.com/deals-arti...reen-car-deals says shoppers in California and Oregon can sign up to lease the Bolt EV LT from $359 for 36 months with $1,099 due at signing with an allowance of 15,000 miles per year...and that's certainly a deal I would take...but that's quite a bit lower than the actual price I was quoted. Sales tax accounts for part of the difference, and the dealer trying to sneak in a little bit of APR/money factor markup accounts for part of it, but...
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
What sort of requirements are there for those other leases? Large down payment? Less than 12K miles a year? Do the cars have similar content? What's the cost per mile to drive those cars? Do those cars fit your lifestyle/driving style better?

Focusing on only the monthly lease payment is a mistake. You also need to consider the monthly and yearly operating costs. If you drive 15K miles a year, and currently drive a car that gets 25 MPG and gas is $2.50 a gallon, that's 10 cents per mile, or $1500 a year in gas. On the other hand, if you get 3.5 miles per kWh, and pay 15 cents a kWh, you end up paying only about 4 cents per mile, or about $650 a year, to drive the Bolt. That drops your monthly cost by $70 a month.

2012 Plug-in Prius
2016 Highlander Hybrid
2017 Chevy Bolt (delivered 2/4/2017)
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devbolt View Post
Focusing on only the monthly lease payment is a mistake. You also need to consider the monthly and yearly operating costs.
True. In my case, eliminating gasoline, oil changes, and the odd mid-ownership repair would probably save me $100 a month, vs. the car I'm making payments on now. But in two years I'd own that car and have an asset...whereas trading it now for a leased Bolt would mean three years of payments followed by owning nothing. I'm trying to talk myself into it because I want (not need) a Bolt, but my last remaining fibers of common sense are being a real killjoy.
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
On the other hand, since I retired I only drive about 2000 miles a year. That would go up a bit with a Bolt, but I wouldn't be saving a significant amount of money by driving one - I drive a Leaf now. I'll be looking for a 10k mile per year lease (or lower). Since I assume that GM self-insures against collision loss like Nissan, I'll also try to put down no more than $2k, because if the car gets totaled the down payment will (if I'm correct) be lost for me. Still, if it will cost me $400 a month to lease an LT with the options I want (and can get on the LT) I'll be looking at the Hyundai Ioniq and maybe one or two other EVs as well. I'll probably do it for $350, but no more.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page