User Tag List

14Likes

post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks to GM, no bolt for me.

It apparently doesn't matter if you put down a deposit 6 months in advance and become the first reservation at a major Bay Area dealer. Reservations numbers 1-5 are sitting in Milpitas where they've been for an entire week. Reservations 6-24-ish were delivered over the last three days. Many happy bolt owners have been streaming out of the San Jose dealers. Just not me.

Just ten minutes ago I got the official word that it won't happen -- they won't have my Bolt for me before 2016 is over and as such I cannot claim the tax break. Because they can't seem to find anybody to ship it the last 8 miles from Milpitas and supposedly have no control what order they're sent over in. The manager there steadfastly refuses to let me do the finances based on the VIN even though I've had the VIN for nearly a full month now.

Without the 2016 tax break, I'm not buying it. Having that $7500 tax hit apply to this year's deductions was a core part of the purchase plan for me. It was the reason I went to so much effort to get first in line and be a responsible buyer. Feeling rather screwed over by GM at the moment, yeah. The dealer also doesn't care in the least as they know that the moment I walk away from the deal there will be a line of others to snap it right up; no sweat off their back whatsoever. Watching the salesman go "well, er, sorry!" and give a goofy smile just makes it sting a little more. This was going to be the first Chevy I'd ever bought, and all this does is continue to teach me to avoid this company.

So, whoever ends up getting the nice blue Premier bolt that ends in VIN 2016, do enjoy. At least I still have my Tesla3 reservation. Who knows; maybe that'll come out before 2020.
post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
I'm in a similar boat. My Bolt has been sitting at Mira Loma over a week, and won't get to the dealer till Monday at the earliest. What the ****.
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Same boat here - I was first to sign up for my dealer (they're getting an allotment of around 80 spread over their dealerships) - yet my car won't arrive until next Friday. Other smaller dealers (who only got an allotment of 10-15) got their Bolts delivered 2-3 days ago.

Oh well - at least my dealer let me buy the vehicle with all the paperwork and DMV registration/title/etc. yesterday so everything on the car shows 12/30/16. Even my insurance company now has the VIN for my policy. I'm going to file for the tax credit next month and hope the IRS isn't going to crack down hard on audits (if there is a repeal and it's retroactive, the IRS tends to get REALLY picky).

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
A quirk of GM's production and it may be the same for other manufacturers too. The VIN numbers are generated in sequence, but actual production is not. The VINs are just paperwork and are created when the order is processed into their computer systems. However actual production of the vehicle is dependent on how the car is optioned.

My experience with the Pontiac Solstice was that production priority seemed to be based mostly on paint color. So cars are actually produced out of order according to their VINs. Basically, placing an order first does not mean you will get your car first.

As to delivery, the transportation companies contracted with are not controlled by GM, or your dealership. They do what they do presumably due to their own logistics. It is too bad there isn't more flexibility in the system but it is what it is. You can rant at your dealer and GM all you want, but once it's in transit, actual delivery date is out of their hands.

This is all Deja Vu to me. Back when people were waiting for the very first Pontiac Solstices there were similar frustrations voiced, only back then there was no $7500 tax credit.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
I'm in a similar boat. My Bolt has been sitting at Mira Loma over a week, and won't get to the dealer till Monday at the earliest. What the ****.
Me too. I did "buy" my car today, but won't see it till early next week. Sitting at Mira Loma, waiting for delivery. My dealer (in Orange County) tells me he investigated with the shipping company today. He learned that union rules allow up to 3 days before they have to truck the car to the dealer. He pointed out that it's been well over 3 days already, to which the trucker replied: "Yeah, what's your point?" Dealer complained loudly, and got a commitment to have his Bolts delivered "no later than Tuesday." At least that's what they told me. It would have been nice to take delivery before the tax year end, but I expect the chances of any problem with the tax credit are pretty minimal.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
If you wait for the Tesla 3 in 2020 you won't be getting a tax credit either. Even if you got it in 2019 you probably won't see a tax credit, or it'll be almost nothing.

I do feel your pain because I'm a similar situation as you. I ordered on 10/11, I was #17 at the dealership. My car was produced before Thanksgiving. But it is still stuck in Quality Control back at the factory. I probably won't get my car for at least 2 weeks even if it made it on a train yesterday. While I would have liked to have gotten the car in the 2016 tax year, I can still reap the benefits by lowering my withholding this coming year. It's spread out over a longer term, but I can still take advantage of it.

As others have pointed out, it's not GM's fault, or the dealership's fault that the transportation company was unable to make the deliveries. It's also unfortunate that other people who ordered after you got their Bolts first. But you ordered a specific car with a particular configuration and was given a specific order number and VIN for that car. So you have to wait for that car to come in, just as I have to wait for my specific car to come into the dealership despite there being a Kinetic Blue Metallic Premier with all the options on my dealer's lot right now that perfectly matches my configuration but doesn't have the right VIN.

2012 Plug-in Prius
2016 Highlander Hybrid
2017 Chevy Bolt (delivered 2/4/2017)
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil0909 View Post
Me too. I did "buy" my car today, but won't see it till early next week. Sitting at Mira Loma, waiting for delivery. My dealer (in Orange County) tells me he investigated with the shipping company today. He learned that union rules allow up to 3 days before they have to truck the car to the dealer. He pointed out that it's been well over 3 days already, to which the trucker replied: "Yeah, what's your point?" Dealer complained loudly, and got a commitment to have his Bolts delivered "no later than Tuesday." At least that's what they told me. It would have been nice to take delivery before the tax year end, but I expect the chances of any problem with the tax credit are pretty minimal.
Legally, you can't take the tax credit until the year that the dealer signs over possession of the car at delivery, regardless of what the purchase date is.
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhyzx View Post
Legally, you can't take the tax credit until the year that the dealer signs over possession of the car at delivery, regardless of what the purchase date is.
Legally, that's approximately correct - the car must be "placed in service" by the end of the tax year for which the credit is taken. Dealer signatures are not relevant.

Now, ask me if I care.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil0909 View Post
Legally, that's approximately correct - the car must be "placed in service" by the end of the tax year for which the credit is taken. Dealer signatures are not relevant.

Now, ask me if I care.
How come GM has posting the tax credit as a selling point if only a few people are technically qualified to get the credit?
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forman View Post
How come GM has posting the tax credit as a selling point if only a few people are technically qualified to get the credit?
It is a selling point. Most purchasers are technically qualified to get the credit. But many people will qualify for it in 2017, rather than in the 2016 tax year.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page