User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Best Bolt Level 2 Home/Work Charging Station

We hope this may help other forum participants who have not yet purchased a Level 2 charging station. We have bought our Bolt, and are first time EV owners. (we did own a GEM car back in the day, when GEM was all that was available to us. EV--or a glorified golf cart?!) We have done a fair amount of shopping and research for a Level 2 EVSE that would suit our home and work requirements, but don't claim to be experts.

Some background on home charging stations that some folks already know. GM decided to sell a Level 2 charger for the Bolt made by a company called AeroVironment, and GM is selling the AV model EVSE-RS. I do not know what price the dealership will ask for these chargers, or whether they will be re-branded with a GM logo. This exact charger is still available on Amazon, etc.

We decided to buy the Clipper Creek HCS-40 among all the 240 volt EVSE charging stations we could research, and here's why. By the way, I'm sure most of the Level 2 charging stations on the market work very well, and if you already have one, you are probably very satisfied with your unit.

Clipper Creek's HCS-40 provides 32 Amp charging, 240 VAC, 25' of cable, a 7.7 kW charging rate, and a very nifty mount and base design. The price is $565 if you want the hardwired version, and $589 if you want a plug in model. (You can choose between a NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 6-50 plug on the power supply whip). And, they advertise Made In USA.

We have two homes and a business to deal with, and at the business there's just an outside NEMA 6-50 receptacle. Both homes are plumbed with NEMA 14-50 receptacles. Yes, we could change out the boxes at home, but we need a traveling Level 2 charger that we can use at the business (can't leave the business charger on site). So, we bought two HCS-40 chargers from Clipper Creek, one with the 14-50 male plug for the homes, and the other with the 6-50 plug. It will be a bit of a pain, but we will have to store the 6-50 plug in unit at the work place, and plug it in during the work day. Plus, if we go on the road and have a destination with only a 240 V NEMA receptacle, we can take the correct charging station for the planned destination.

One reason we were impressed with the Clipper Creek unit is because the base is substantial, and allows for secure mounting. What we will do at the (rather public, think sidewalk) business location is use heavy duty, closed hook eye bolts to mount the base, and secure the base with a pad lock through the eye bolt(s). If things go as planned, at the end of the day, take take the lock off and remove the unit. We may figure out something more clever, (please write if you know of a better security system), but our desire is simply to discourage anyone from thinking they could easily unplug our charging station and walk away.

I'm sure everyone will do a great job researching their home charging stations, but give Clipper Creek a look along with the rest. They are one the web, or call Lisa or Joel at 530-887-8527. They ship at their actual expense, with either UPS, FedEx, or Priority Mail. We got our units by Priority Mail within two days of the order. Good luck with your search!
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
You could have made an adapter pig tail to use just one charger for both outlets for a fraction the cost of a second charger. Just an idea, but likely moot at this point. I too will likely be buying Clipper Creek.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
We thought about that, but are trying to not haul a charger around too much, if possible. Also, the folks at Clipper Creek were not too keen on using any sort of adapter with their equipment--duh, I bought two chargers, didn't I? Actually, Clipper Creek folks were trying to talk us out of buying the second charger, but the customer is always right--and stubborn! If it turns out we really don't need two chargers, it will be a pleasant surprise.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
You might have a look at this one: https://www.evseadapters.com/collect...nt=27438698696

120/240 dual voltage, 16/24/30a, portable, all three connectors, for $385.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 11:32 PM

If you'd like a wifi enablebed version eMotorWorks sells the Clipper Creek HCS-40 with eMotorWorks software installed.

https://emotorwerks.com/index.php/st...ory_pathway-40
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Many folks who buy an Internet-connected EVSE find the feature redundant - Chevy EVs provide the functions that the EVSE mimics. The "connected" ones were more useful for Gen 0 EVs, and are a lot more expensive.
If you actually look inside any EVSE, it's basically just a smart relay - not much to justify a high price.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I had my portable Nissan charger converted to 240V by https://evseupgrade.com/ inexpensively. He has adapters too. Probably the cheapest route for full speed charging. Some are selling on eBay that are already converted.

7th Year of Pure EV Driving: Gray Bolt | Black Model S | Red Model X | Blue LEAF
Tesla Savings Wiki:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
You might have a look at this one: https://www.evseadapters.com/collect...nt=27438698696

120/240 dual voltage, 16/24/30a, portable, all three connectors, for $385.
I've had one of these for my Leaf for 3 1/2 years and it has worked flawlessly at home and on the road. I highly recommend these folks! I'm going to get another one as soon as my Bolt (finally) arrives.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
I think a Clipper Creek EVSE for the home combined with a portable Adjustable Charger EVSE should cover most people wherever they go. Is the HCS-50 worth the extra cost or is the HCS-40 enough for the bolt?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Did you look into the Juice Box 40 amp charger capable of up 9.6 KWH for $499 or $599 for the pro with WiFi?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page