12Likes

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Clipper Creek vs. Juice Box?

I need to order my EVSE and I can't make up my mind on which of these two to buy. I want either the Clipper Creek HCS-40P, or the Juice box 40. They both have pros and cons.

Clipper Creek HCS-40P

Pros-
  • Established company with good reputation.
  • Slightly longer charge cord.
  • Good customer support.

Cons-
  • Bulky, takes up more wall space.
  • $40 more expensive.
  • 12" Power input cord.
  • Non portable mounting.

Juice Box 40

Pros-
  • Detachable Mount for portability.
  • 6' Power input cord.
  • $40 cheaper.
  • Smaller box on the wall.

Cons-
  • Lesser known company with less service history.
  • 1' shorter charging cord.
  • Lesser known reliability.

Both are made in USA, both have 3 year warranties, both have a holster and some sort of cable management and both have some sort of safety ratings. I will be mounting this indoors in my garage.

What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I went with the JuiceBox 40. Since the car is smart and I was able to set up the EV rate plan from PGE on the car, I thought that all I needed was a dumb charger and I would be okay. I have had no issues so far, and having the longer input cable was a huge advantage for my set up.
Raymondjram likes this.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
both are good and reliable - I'd recommend a "bigger" or "configurable" EV charger for your future EV purchasing needs - I have the clipper creek 60/48 amp charger and while the Bolt can only used 32 AMP's my other EV's can charger at the full 48 amp rate…

you'll do fine with either purchase - I'm partial to the Clipper Creek since I know they are basically bullet proof from a reliability point of view.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You could do a heck of a lot better with OpenEVSE. Based on your handiness you could get their feature-rich 50A deluxe kit and J1772 40A cable for as low as $400 ($250 + $150). I built mine in an hour, and although I have mine wall-mounted you can make it portable. The enclosure is moisture-proof and can be installed outdoors.

I added their WiFi kit after the fact ($38) and now I monitor all the sensor info (voltage, amperage, temperature) as well as send email alerts, etc.

They're constantly adding new features and it's pretty easy to update.

I can't add the URL because of my post count, but search openevse. It's the first and second hit.
cyclone likes this.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0ner View Post
You could do a heck of a lot better with OpenEVSE. Based on your handiness you could get their feature-rich 50A deluxe kit and J1772 40A cable for as low as $400 ($250 + $150). I built mine in an hour, and although I have mine wall-mounted you can make it portable. The enclosure is moisture-proof and can be installed outdoors.

I added their WiFi kit after the fact ($38) and now I monitor all the sensor info (voltage, amperage, temperature) as well as send email alerts, etc.

They're constantly adding new features and it's pretty easy to update.

I can't add the URL because of my post count, but search openevse. It's the first and second hit.
Thanks for posting this. I did go check it out. It looks like all in, I'd save about $40-50. Basically I'm willing to pay an extra $50 to have them put it together, have them go to Home Depot to get the input cable and plug and get a 3 year warranty. Looks like an easy one hour job, but I have loads of projects going now and at some point I don't need anymore.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
As I've posted already, I have a JuiceBox 60A unit, bought several years ago based on the desire to be all-in if I'm going to go electric. Took three years to get there (240V feed), but the Bolt was a great motivator.
The JB folks have been amazingly supportive, feeding me firmware updates to keep my unit up to date, particularly when they changed their online monitoring code in an incompatible way. However, I'm a tech geek and very comfortable with this stuff. (There's a FEH out there with an Arduino driving indicator LEDs for the aftermarket heated seats that I coded and installed.) If you're not comfortable with pushing the update yourself, they'll let you ship the unit back for an upgrade. For me, being in control is important.

So, I'm a enthusiastic supporter of the JuiceBox. I'm looking with some interest at the OpenEVSE stuff, but no reason to change at the moment.
Raymondjram likes this.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksBolt View Post
As I've posted already, I have a JuiceBox 60A unit, bought several years ago based on the desire to be all-in if I'm going to go electric. Took three years to get there (240V feed), but the Bolt was a great motivator.
The JB folks have been amazingly supportive, feeding me firmware updates to keep my unit up to date, particularly when they changed their online monitoring code in an incompatible way. However, I'm a tech geek and very comfortable with this stuff. (There's a FEH out there with an Arduino driving indicator LEDs for the aftermarket heated seats that I coded and installed.) If you're not comfortable with pushing the update yourself, they'll let you ship the unit back for an upgrade. For me, being in control is important.

So, I'm a enthusiastic supporter of the JuiceBox. I'm looking with some interest at the OpenEVSE stuff, but no reason to change at the moment.
I'm going the low tech Luddite route. Just the basics, no connectivity. I'll let the car sort it out.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm very happy with the juicebox pro 40. I know you said you don't want connectivity, but one thing that surprised me is how easy it is to adjust the amperage through the app. I try to go for a slow charge when I can as I assume this is more gentle on the battery. When I know I have a lot of battery to fill I will crank up the amperage to the max my wire can handle.
Raymondjram likes this.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Bought the basic Juice Box 40 because I work close by their shop and I popped in one day a 6 months ago to check them out. Great bunch of guys and I could tell there would be great support if I ever needed it. It's been a great product.
Raymondjram likes this.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
All these new features!

I purchased a Bosch (30 amp) unit 4 years ago for my Volt, and it's worked beautifully on it, then on the ELR, and now on the Bolt. As far as "connectivity" features go, it has an on/off switch and a green charging light

Eventually, I'll be moving out of my current place and into something smaller and so I'll be wanting to get one of these new-fangled charging units installed there. So please keep up the discussion!

2012 Volt
2014 Cadillac ELR
2017 Bolt Premier (delivered 2/26/17)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page