6Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Front License Plate Holder Woes

Hello,

Thought I'd see what others thought. My car came without the front license plate holder installed, the sales person just stuck the holder and hardware in the trunk. Now that our plates have come, I went to the dealer to see if they'd attach the holder for us.

They can't tell me until I take the car in for an appointment if they will charge me to attach this or not.

My question is, did your Bolt come from the dealer with the front license plate holder attached? Should I expect it to, or for the dealer to cover the cost to attach it? To me it seems silly that I'd have to pay for this. I'd do it myself but don't have a riveter at home.

Also, how many out there are deciding to drive without the front plate? In CA we need it by law, but it sure looks ugly on the Bolt, in my opinion. A casual look at traffic in my neighborhood reveals a surprising number of drivers without front plates, so how likely is not having a front plate to be an issue, do you think?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbbycar View Post
Hello,

Thought I'd see what others thought. My car came without the front license plate holder installed, the sales person just stuck the holder and hardware in the trunk. Now that our plates have come, I went to the dealer to see if they'd attach the holder for us.

They can't tell me until I take the car in for an appointment if they will charge me to attach this or not.

My question is, did your Bolt come from the dealer with the front license plate holder attached? Should I expect it to, or for the dealer to cover the cost to attach it? To me it seems silly that I'd have to pay for this. I'd do it myself but don't have a riveter at home.

Also, how many out there are deciding to drive without the front plate? In CA we need it by law, but it sure looks ugly on the Bolt, in my opinion. A casual look at traffic in my neighborhood reveals a surprising number of drivers without front plates, so how likely is not having a front plate to be an issue, do you think?

Thanks.
The lic. plate holder installation is part of the PDI (pre delivery inspection) and it's installed as part
of the vehicle delivery and setup process. Don't let your dealer charge you anything to install it.
If they refuse to install it without a charge call Chevrolet Customer care @ 1 (800) 222-1020
DaV8or and Sean Nelson like this.

2017 Loaded Premier in Summit White
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I agree with the response COMPLETELY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Like others have responded, the dealer should put it on free of charge. It's part of the set up and they have already been paid to do that job. As to the front plate in California, all I can say is I have driven my Pontiac Solstice of the last 11 1/2 years without the front plate and have never been stopped for it. As you have noted, running without the front plate is common and it's also an infraction of the law. It's up to you. At worst it's a fix it ticket I believe. I have no choice with the Bolt as I bought mine off the lot and the front plate bracket was already installed.

2017 Bolt LT Burst Orange
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiesel1 View Post
The lic. plate holder installation is part of the PDI (pre delivery inspection) and it's installed as part
of the vehicle delivery and setup process. Don't let your dealer charge you anything to install it.
If they refuse to install it without a charge call Chevrolet Customer care @ 1 (800) 222-1020
Thanks to all three of you for your responses. I thought something was a little fishy in service today. Makes me wonder too, if they even did a PDI. How can I find out what's supposed to be covered for that? Looks like I need to talk to my dealership...
You guys are the best, I really appreciate it. Happy driving
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
...and for those with the opposite problem, the bulky, un-aeordynamic plastic front plate holder in states that don't require front plates, like my own NM, and want it to go away, here's what I did with no more damage than had already been done in the installation by the dealer.

There are four rivets holding it on, all soft aluminum. Find a drill bit somewhat less in diameter than the head of the rivet and start drilling very gently until the rivet head comes off you can tell it's close to. Do that for all four. Use needle-nose pliers to tear rivet head off if not fully off. Pull plate-holder off, push remaining rivet shafts in flush with plastic.

The holes they drilled through your beautiful plastic nose will still be there, but relatively innocuous. Only people who wish they were as good-looking as you will say, nice car, but what's with those four little holes?

This is guaranteed to quintuple your range due to improved air flow.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
PDI sheet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt-PDI.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	4154  
DaV8or and Sean Nelson like this.

2017 Loaded Premier in Summit White
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Installation of these plate holders are an industry standard, no reason for them to not do this. Only reason they wouldn't is if the owner requested not to. Some people get hideaway plate systems or have their own alternative. Hopefully they don't give you any trouble.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
ourbbycar we bought our car at Quality Chevrolet of Escondido. They didn't put the front plate holder on. Same story as you. I'm with you on the looks and I decided to risk it and leave it off. I also see a large percentage of vehicles in California with no plates in the front.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
There's always the option of those hidden plate holders so you can hide or slide it out whenever you want. The trade off is taking an inch or so off your ground clearance.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page