User Tag List

9Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
No Maps?

So, I've had my Bolt and been driving it for about 2 weeks. I'd leased a Nissan Leaf for the last almost six years, so I have been comparing the two quite a bit as I drive.

I love how the Bolt drives, but I have to say my biggest complaint is the lack of a maps GPS feature like my 2012 Leaf had. At least, I am assuming there are no maps. If there are, I've yet to find them. I have Onstar activated for my free trial, but it seems like it just gives you verbal directions. Am I missing something?

I do have to say that the screen's menu features are about the most non-intuitive I've every seen. It is difficult to navigate and seems user-unfriendly.

I love the Bolt's range and power, but the Leaf's menu system was so simple (and much better). More comparisons and questions as I drive more...

Worldwidemike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I think Apple Carplay together with the standard apple maps app on one’s iphone, is outstanding. One needs a Siri-capable iphone which I think is a 5 6 or 7. The route shows up wonderfully on the 10” screen and the accompanying voice directions are perfect. I’ve got the British-female voice downloaded, my friends think its cool.

Previously I was a Google navigation fan. Before I got my Bolt I was planning to get some sort of perch for my iphone so I could see the map. Don’t need it.

This is my first EV so I’m not encountering any problem associated with transitioning from something else that was engrained into me, insofar as the screen menu features.
DaV8or and drdiesel1 like this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
You need to run Android Auto (Google) or Apple Car Play for navigation. The onboard system has no built in navigation to become out dated. It's all done with phone apps now.
The old Leafs system is an antique and you need to move into the Bolts 21st century system

2017 Loaded Premier in Summit White

Last edited by drdiesel1; 05-15-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'll give it Carplay a try. I had my car shipped from California here to Ohio, so if that is something the dealer would tell buyers about, I missed that. I use Apple's Maps for navigation when I am overseas and it always works flawlessly, so that's encouraging. As for the Leaf's system being antique, well, it is nice to have a hard button to simply click on and boom, there are maps. Ha, ha...guess that's Old School.

Thanks for the info, guys!

Worldwidemike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
You can just say something like, "Hey Siri take me home."

I had (still have) a 2011 Leaf. The Bolt is so much nicer as both a car and an electric vehicle, the two shouldn't even be mentioned in the same post.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
I'll give it Carplay a try. I had my car shipped from California here to Ohio, so if that is something the dealer would tell buyers about, I missed that. I use Apple's Maps for navigation when I am overseas and it always works flawlessly, so that's encouraging. As for the Leaf's system being antique, well, it is nice to have a hard button to simply click on and boom, there are maps. Ha, ha...guess that's Old School.

Thanks for the info, guys!
It should be noted that the Carplay feature only works when plugged into the USB port. It doesn't work over Bluetooth.

2017 Bolt LT Burst Orange
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd agree about the comparison between the navigation system approach that Nissan chose vs the Chevrolet version. The OnStar is good but in some ways harder to use for the average driver who's is not in an emergency situation. The CarPlay is sophisticated but more complicated (read more distracting to use) for the driver. What to do???
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
It should be noted that the Carplay feature only works when plugged into the USB port. It doesn't work over Bluetooth.
Android Auto is also hardwire only as well. Hoping someday there will be an update that allows wireless AA/Carplay.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Let's hope someone reads these forums and it makes it out to someone else that can make these changes!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I would like AirPlay, If it was connected via Bluetooth. I always forget to plug the phone in. I find it interesting that my car has a wireless charger, but can't use wireless connection for CarPlay

2017 Bolt Premier Kinetic Blue
2016 Model S
Prior EV's
2015 Leaf
2014 Volt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page