2Likes
  • 2 Post By DucRider

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Out in the cold

One of the big decisions points before I finally pull-the-trigger and buy a Bolt regards cold weather.

I do not have a garage, so the poor thing would be left out in the cold all the time. We have times where the temperature falls to single digits and occasionally in the negatives. A couple years ago we had a stretch of significant temperatures that froze my Beetle's diesel fuel filter solid. How will temperatures like this affect the Bolt? As my commute is 100 miles round trip I plan on charging at home daily via LV2. Will the car regulate the battery compartment temperature so as to avoid damage through the charge process? Will it keep the compartment warm even when charging is completed? If not how long does it take to warm the battery to a proper operating temp? Other thoughts/tips would be appreciated as well.

I understand that range is decreased in the cold. I would love to hear from some of you early adopters what kind of range reduction you got and at what temperatures.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
From the owners manual:

Quote:
Do not allow the vehicle to remain in
temperature extremes for long
periods without being driven or
plugged in. It is recommended that
the vehicle be plugged in when
temperatures are below 0 C (32 F)
and above 32 C (90 F) to
maximize high voltage battery life.
As long as you keep it plugged into your L2, you should be fine.

Range decrease will vary greatly, but could be as much as 50%. Most will find they do much better than that. Factors like road conditions (snow, etc), speed, heat/defrost settings all have a significant effect on range.

100 miles should be doable. If you go for the LT trim, the heated seats/steering wheel are a MUST (Comfort & Convenience I). Using these greatly reduces energy draw vs heating the cabin air.
ChiBolt and Dadrick like this.

Gary
2014 Honda Fit EV
Lease expires Jan 2017
NDEW City Captain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association (OEVA)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
If you keep her plugged in all the time when not driving- the battery will keep it self warm if/when needed.

You can also pre-condition the cab while plugged in to L2 to bring it up to livable temps without draining the battery prior to departure.

As Duc mentioned above, heated seats and steering wheel will help greatly to conserve energy.

What's your location BTW?

2017 Cajun Red Bolt Premier- Driver Confidence II Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I am in So. Central PA, near York. While our temps are mostly mild compared to other parts of the country our friends to the north occasionally send those Arctic Clippers dipping down into our region.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I drive 130-150 every day. Got the bolt jan 9. Cold weather affects the bolt for miliage. But would charge to 170 miles at the lowest. Left out in the cold but no lower than 20 degrees. No problems. Should work fine for you. Enjoy.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucRider View Post
100 miles should be doable. If you go for the LT trim, the heated seats/steering wheel are a MUST (Comfort & Convenience I). Using these greatly reduces energy draw vs heating the cabin air.
I was planning on the LT, but without the Comfort package. You make a good argument for it. My Bug is notoriously lacking in the heat category usually taking 15-20 miles on a cold morning to warm the cabin to the point I can unzip the coat and take off the gloves. I can see where only heating where needed would greatly reduce the energy consumption and extend range. Does CC1 include the passenger seat heating or just the driver's?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posatronic View Post
But would charge to 170 miles at the lowest. Left out in the cold but no lower than 20 degrees. No problems.
Thanks, Posatronic. That sounds pretty close to what is more typical for our winter lows. So at 20*F you are only seeing a 25-30% reduction in range. That is very helpful, and well within my round trip range.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Be aware that if the Bolt is cold soaked overnight (or even left out in the cold for a few hours), fast charging will likely be limited till the Bolt's battery reaches around 68F/20C. The Bolt restricts DCFC rates until the battery warms up. I found that out one time on a trip to PA over the winter.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadrick View Post
Does CC1 include the passenger seat heating or just the driver's?
CC1 includes both driver and passenger heated seats (Premier is needed for rear heated seats). I live a few hundred miles north of you (Vermont), and after having them on my last car, now consider them a must have purely for the sake of comfort (they heat up much more quickly than the regular heat), but as others have noted, they're of particular importance for range on an EV due to the lower power consumption in comparison to using the heat.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page