User Tag List

5Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
On Star pros and cons

I admit to missing the simplicity of the Leaf's navigation system. The On Star alternative turn by turn is not as good as the less sophisticated alternative that Chevrolet mandates. The option of what Apple offers through CarPlay is good, but it requires more out of the drivers attention (which should be focused on driving safely) than the Nissan's system. I'm curious about how many Bolt owners are choosing to pay for the On Star menu of options vs staying with the CarPlay alternative.

I'd suggest to Chevrolet that they should consider more options for their Bolt owners outside of the On Star menu.
I'd like to see a built in navigation software that comes on with the car being powered up.s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I'm pretty happy with Apple maps through CarPlay. I push the button on the steering wheel and ask for directions. It finds a route, displays a map, and gives me turn by turn instructions. There have been times when it offered to change the route to something faster given current traffic conditions.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I need a fast charger

Searched the Internet and can find no manufacturer of CCS for home use. Does anyone know of a EVSE CCS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjony View Post
Searched the Internet and can find no manufacturer of CCS for home use. Does anyone know of a EVSE CCS
http://insideevs.com/bmw-launches-ne...chargers-6458/

Realistically, DC charging at home isn't a great option. It is very expensive, and would likely require a service upgrade (3 phase power) at your house. Not to mention that quick charging isn't all that great for the battery on a regular basis.

2011 Chevrolet Volt
Waiting for my Bolt.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
When I do get my Bolt I won't be subscribing to On-Star. I supply the wife with a paper map and she navigates. My phone's navigation is sufficient when she's not around.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have found that the OnStar's navigation is not as robust as Waze, for example. While it's convenient, I am not sure it takes traffic into account into consideration as well as other apps do. Now, if only Waze could be made CarPlay compatible.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Only way navigation is going to win in vehicles is with Google Maps, can't beat the level it has reached and all Google is doing to improve it. For this reason in the future Andriod-based systems will win I know my Bolt will be getting a tablet just for uses like this.
drdiesel1 likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:24 PM

Garage
Waze currently run a beta program with Android Auto, chances are that it will be release in the upcoming few months.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/04...-android-auto/

Current: '17 Bolt EV | '14 Toyota Rav4 EV
Previous: '12 Honda Odyssey |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| '12 Mercedes GL450 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| '08 Lexus LS460 |

Last edited by timeToy; 05-18-2017 at 12:29 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
I use google maps. At home, I can download a route to my phone and let the phone store the trip
without running on my phones data. I won't pay for anything onstar has. They're a terrible parasitic load of crap.

2017 Loaded Premier in Summit White
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 06:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiesel1 View Post
I use google maps. At home, I can download a route to my phone and let the phone store the trip
without running on my phones data. I won't pay for anything onstar has. They're a terrible parasitic load of crap.
I bought my Bolt yesterday and signed for Onstar. Today I tried to add my wife's Cruze onto free Onstar that has been advertised. Instead what I got is they threw out my account, set up my wife and now I have another Onstar fight on my hands!

Disasters like this is one of the reasons why I allowed my wife's Onstar for the Cruze to lapse. That and they consistently got me lost with their directions.

Give me Google maps any day!
drdiesel1 likes this.

2017 Cajun Red LT-DC Fast Charging, Comfort & Convenience, Driver Confidence

Because Red is the fastest color!!!

Just charging into the future.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page