User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dealership charging

If I get a Bolt one of the 1st things I'll want to do is thank the wife by getting her the puppy she wants. The Breeder is 600 miles away so a 1200mi round trip would be required.

What has been your experiences charging your Bolt at "foreign" Chevy dealerships? Were they receptive and open? Did they have DCFC available outside? What about after the service dept is closed? Were you charged ($ not electrons)?
Leland Davies likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
I actually wasn't aware that you could just pop up at a dealership and utilize they're chargers or anything. Interested to hear peoples experience with this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
I would definitely not rely on any dealership CCS for road trip charging. Odds are they may not even be open to the public (service bay CCS only for example). I'd actually ignore them as far as options for fast charging.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
You can make a weekend trip out of this and take your time getting the puppy. Not sure how it'll fare on the long ride back with around 3 charging stops. Interested to read about your journey afterwards.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you have been given the go ahead to make the purchase use your gas vehicle to make that 1200 mile trip and then start your all EV journeys. Maybe you could rent a Volt without range anxiety.

Two Volt owner hoping to get a Bolt EV if all the stars align.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadrick View Post
If I get a Bolt one of the 1st things I'll want to do is thank the wife by getting her the puppy she wants. The Breeder is 600 miles away so a 1200mi round trip would be required.

What has been your experiences charging your Bolt at "foreign" Chevy dealerships? Were they receptive and open? Did they have DCFC available outside? What about after the service dept is closed? Were you charged ($ not electrons)?
The California BA dealerships I visited when shopping did not have CCS charging stations, just L2, so a proper fill-up would be pretty tedious, especially since they are usually in enormous car shopping malls, and there is nothing to do besides shop for cars.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In Canada, if you go to the manufacturer that made your car (i.e. Chevy/GM/Buick) they are OK with you stopping in for charging. Some other dealers like BMW are a little pickier on who can use them and they are generally located inside the dealer showroom so harder to access. Some are more receptive to you using their chargers if you call ahead and ask if it's ok to stop by and charge, and they don't charge you for using their charger. Again, this is Canada, in the US not sure what the policy/procedure is for them.

Although if they have DCFC now than that does suggest that chevy vehicles are good to charge there. Otherwise, why put in the infrastructure for a DCFC if it's going to sit there looking pretty and not be used.

Just my thoughts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhodgson View Post
Although if they have DCFC now than that does suggest that chevy vehicles are good to charge there. Otherwise, why put in the infrastructure for a DCFC if it's going to sit there looking pretty and not be used.
It's required by Chevy to sell/service the Bolt.

I think most will be in the service area. If they do make it available for general use, customer cars being serviced or prepped for delivery will obviously have priority. Not likely to be available at all outside of normal business hours.

Chevy has no requirement on it's availability - it was never meant to be a charging network for road trips. It is my understanding that they are 24 kW units and that means it is approaching the drive for an hour charge for an hour scenario (taking into account leaving your route to get to the dealership, arranging to charge, getting connected, returning to your route, etc). Possible to road trip that way? Yes. Practical? Not in my opinion.

Gary
2014 Honda Fit EV
Lease expires Jan 2017
NDEW City Captain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association (OEVA)

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
My dealer's charger is on the showroom floor, sadly. Ain't gonna get charged there most likely.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadrick View Post
Asking for people's experiences might be misleading since different dealers may have different policies. I wouldn't put much weight on any responses that don't relate to the specific dealers you may actually stop at.

The first resource to check is the comments in PlugShare. If the dealer doesn't have a charging station listed in PlugShare or if there isn't enough information there to make you feel comfortable, then the obvious thing to do is to call or e-mail the dealers you think you could potentially use and find out the answers to these questions. Make sure you find out how much power the chargers can deliver since there can be a big difference in charge times between a 24A and 50A DC fast charger.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page