User Tag List

3Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SAE Combo Charger?

From @Zoomit 's post, I learned the Bolt will be coming with an SAE combo charger, like the Chevy Spark EV. This is my first EV, so I have to admit that I am a bit confused about the different plug standards. Where will I be able to charge the Bolt? Which charging networks? Which other vehicles use the SAE combo?

Please educate me -- I would like to learn.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
From @Zoomit 's post, I learned the Bolt will be coming with an SAE combo charger, like the Chevy Spark EV. This is my first EV, so I have to admit that I am a bit confused about the different plug standards. Where will I be able to charge the Bolt? Which charging networks? Which other vehicles use the SAE combo?

Please educate me -- I would like to learn.
From what I understand these are compatible:

• AeroVironment home charging station for the Nissan Leaf[28]
  • BTCPower (Broadband TelCom Power, Inc.)[29]
  • Bosch Power Max home charging stations
  • ClipperCreek products include CS-40,[30] LCS-25[31] and LCS-25p,[32] HCS-40.[33] The product with highest charging amperage is CS-100.[34]
  • ChargePoint CT4000 newest intelligent charger,cable management,driver services CT500, CT2000, CT2100, and CT2020 families of ChargePoint Networked Charging Stations[35]
  • EATON [2] Pow-R-Station Family of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations [36]
  • ECOtality Blink home wall-mount and commercial stand-alone charging stations[37][38]
  • Electric Motor Werks JuiceBox Open Source 15 kW 60 A EVSE
  • EVSEadapters EVSE240V16A 240V 16A Portable Level 2 EVSE
  • EVoCharge – Retractable Reel EVSE’s designed to support Residential, Commercial and Industrial Markets.
  • GE Wattstation available in 2011[39]
  • GoSmart Technologies ChargeSPOT line of charging stations
  • GRIDbot's "UP" family of charging stations
  • Hubbell PEP Stations - http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/press/pdfs/WLDEE001.pdf
  • Leviton evr-green home charging stations at a range of power levels, with separate pre-wire kit that allows one to plug into a NEMA 6 240 V receptacle[40]
  • Schneider Electric / Square D EVLink Charging Solutions for residential, commercial, and fleet charging solutions.
  • Siemens VersiCharge for cost effective residential, semi-public, and fleet level 2 EV charging.
  • SemaConnect ChargePro Charging Stations
  • Shorepower Technologies ePump line of fully customizable EVSE; indoor and outdoor solutions for cars and trucks.
  • TucsonEV - J1772 Adapter Boxes, Inlets and Plugs with and without cord, 70 A and 30 A. We will soon have a J1772 Compatible EVSE for up to 240 V/30 A
  • CIRCONTROL CIRCARLIFE product range includes EV charging infrastructure with post and wall mount units with J1772 standard
  • OpenEVSE Project - Open Source Design for EVSE.
  • eStation Level-2 Charger by Vega. Part of chargeNET network in Sri Lanka

Keep in mind this is our first EV as well, so we're learning on the fly. Found on Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1...stem_.28CCS.29
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:16 PM

Vehicles using SAE combo: the Chevrolet Volt, Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid and Smart EV.

And found this RE: CCS, again from Wiki

SAE is developing a Combo Coupler variant of the J1772-2009 connector with additional pins to accommodate fast DC charging at 200–450 Volts DC and up to 90 kW. This will also use Power Line Carrier technology to communicate between the vehicle, off-board charger, and smart grid.[11] Seven car makers (Audi, BMW, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche and Volkswagen) had agreed to introduce the "Combined Charging System" in mid-2012.[12] The first vehicles using the SAE Combo plug were the BMW i3 released in late 2013, and the Chevrolet Spark EV released in 2014.[13] In Europe, the combo coupler is based on the Type 2 (VDE) AC charging connector maintaining full compatibility with the SAE specification for DC charging and the GreenPHY PLC protocol.[14]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
In your first post, I am pretty sure those are what are called 'EVSE', which are basically the charging stations you can install in your home to power up the EV. I think I'm right on that --

What I am unclear about is when you're out in the wild, and you see a charging station, how do you know if you can charge the Bolt there? Do you need to use an app to find only the specific charging stations out there that accept SAE Combo?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Vehicles using SAE combo: the Chevrolet Volt, Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid and Smart EV.
So is it correct to say that anywhere a Leaf can charge, so too should a Bolt be able to charge? If so, this is relieving to know, because I'm pretty sure Leaf owners have no problem finding places to charge.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
So is it correct to say that anywhere a Leaf can charge, so too should a Bolt be able to charge? If so, this is relieving to know, because I'm pretty sure Leaf owners have no problem finding places to charge.
The way I'm understanding things is that CCS is a derivative/capability of SAE J1772. CCS adds extra pins to the traditional J1772 connector in order to facilitate DC fast charging...
Dr.G likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
These are a pretty good place to start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charging_station

http://evobsession.com/electric-car-...ing-apps-more/

http://evobsession.com/electric-car-...-of-27-models/
Dr.G likes this.

2015 Spark EV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
All electric vehicles in North America use the J1772 plug for typical AC charging, with the exception of Tesla which includes an adapter. So the Bolt will be able to charge at any public AC charging station. This will fully charge the Bolt from empty in about 9 hours.

SAE Combo, also known as Combined Charging System (CCS), is a DC fast charging standard. Like Jerry said, it's a J1772 connector with two DC charging pins added below. This will charge the Bolt to 80% in 1 hour.

CHAdeMO is another DC fast charging standard, used by the Nissan Leaf. CCS and CHAdeMO are not compatible, although a lot of new fast charging stations have two separate plugs: one for CCS and one for CHAdeMO.

Finally, the third DC fast charging standard is the Tesla Supercharger, for Teslas only.
Dr.G likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Well I wonder when Elon is going to come good on his promise to open superchargers up to other manufacturers...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page