Tesla Model 3- Help or hinder the Bolt? - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
View Poll Results: Will the Tesla Model 3...
Help Bolt sales? 5 31.25%
Hurt Bolt sales? 2 12.50%
Make no difference either way? 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

6Likes

post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tesla Model 3- Help or hinder the Bolt?

In about a year from now, the Tesla Model 3 will likely be a reality and start to hit the streets in the hands of customers. I expect it to sell really, really well at least initially. The question here is, do you think the Model 3 will help Bolt sales, hurt Bolt sales, or really have no effect on Bolt sales?

On one hand, the Tesla holds a lot of cache. It's cool to own a Tesla, a Chevy not so much. The Model 3 is sexy looking and likely will be faster then the Bolt.

On the other hand the Bolt offers greater utility, a lower purchase price, a conventional dashboard arrangement and likely a little bit better range.

The Model 3 will likely be a short lived sensation with sales blowing the Bolt's numbers out of the water, but when it calms down and the short comings of the 3 are more well known, some consumers may start to cross shop.

On the other hand, the Model 3 may turn out to be a fantastic car in almost all respects so much so that only if you really need your BEV to haul stuff, there is no point to the Bolt.

There is also the argument that the Model 3 may increase interest in BEVs and get people to shop that otherwise would not with the the older Model S, LEAF, i3 and bevy of compliance cars. In effect, some might "discover" the Bolt in the process of learning about the Model 3. We have to remember that nearly all of America knows almost nothing, or cares very little about electric cars today. Many are down right hostile towards them.

Anyhoo, what do you all think?
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
There is also the argument that the Model 3 may increase interest in BEVs and get people to shop that otherwise would not with the the older Model S, LEAF, i3 and bevy of compliance cars. In effect, some might "discover" the Bolt in the process of learning about the Model 3.
I believe this will be the case. Tesla gets a lot of press and interest from the general public, and when the Model 3 is released you can expect a lot of coverage. And since the Bolt EV will be the only other EV with similar range and price it will inevitably be mentioned. There will be a lot of comparisons between the two cars, and I'm sure that will do a lot to raise the Bolt's profile.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
So little is really known about the Model 3 that it is hard to draw conclusions, but anything that raises awareness of EV's and lends them credibility is bound to help.

I hope they can get a few cranked out by the end of the year. At some point they are bound to make a target production date. At least they started making the 2170's for the packs.

We'll see how many of the reservations get converted to sales. A higher percentage than I expected of the reservation holders I have talked to are wither on the fence or speculating that they can sell the reservation/car and make a buck or two.

Gary
2014 Honda Fit EV
Lease expires Jan 2017
NDEW City Captain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association (OEVA)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
On one hand, the Tesla holds a lot of cachet
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkE View Post
On one hand, the Tesla holds a lot of cachet
Yeah, what you said.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
Anyhoo, what do you all think?
Realistically, I think it'll be more like the end of 2018 at the earliest; and for anyone who didn't already have a reservation & deposit in, and order a high-trim car, and live in California, it'll be even later than that.

But if Tesla meets their price, performance, production and timetable targets, I think the Model 3 will dominate the EV market overnight. Why? Because Tesla is a status-symbol brand and Chevy isn't (unless you're talking about Suburbans in Texas)...and if you're willing and able to lay down 30-40 grand or more, there's a good chance that matters to you.

To be fair, there are reasons Tesla has cachet...they reinvented and reinvigorated the EV category, they're unequivocally dedicated to it and the clean-environment motivation behind it, they don't make you battle sleazy franchised dealerships, and they've built a widespread and technically superior fast charge infrastructure. They're a company people want to reward, in other words.

However, I think a lot of starry-eyed Model 3 reservation holders are going to be disappointed when they see the inevitable compromises made to reach the price target: a spartan interior, slower charging rate than its big-battery siblings, etc. There's nothing wrong with a Honda Civic unless you were expecting a BMW 325.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We agree that Tesla is carrying the star power in the EV market. We shopped heavily for a Tesla. In the end, a Model S was barely in our price range, and my wife truly thought it was too big, and too ostentatious. What we really wanted in a smaller EV was range. We are a rural EV user family, and a 200 mile range was our minimum. And, we did not want to have to carry around an ICE in order to make range.

So, the Chevy Bolt matched our needs first, and it was as simple as that. We are pleased to be able to offer GM/Chevy our business, and feel they should be rewarded for breaking the range barrier with an affordable car. We may well own a Model 3 someday, but were not willing to wait years to own an EV with a 200+ range, that was not a high price end, or a large,luxury car. We will likely be first in line for an EV SportWagen--so designers, get with it!
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:34 AM
ev1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Tesla already sold 83k cars (2 models) last year, which is more than any other EV or company's EVs by far. I don't think an EV by any other car company will come close to Tesla. Given the range issues with the Bolt in real world scenarios, lack of Bolt supercharging, Chevy badge (no cachet), and potential for low resale values, I don't think the Bolt will make a significant impact in the end, despite positive initial reviews.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
On one hand, the Tesla holds a lot of cache.
It's spelled like it's pronounced: "cash." ;-)
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
According to the Tesla diehards, no one is cross shopping a Bolt against a Model 3, so if we go with their beliefs, there should be zero effect on the Bolt.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page