1Likes

post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CA HOV sticker application timeline ?

Hi all,

For all current owners, can you share the approximate timeline from purchasing the car, to getting the license plate, to applying for HOV sticker, to actually getting them ?

I acquired my bolt on 1/16, still haven't gotten my license plate yet. Is it true that we have to wait for the license plate to be in hand, before we can apply for HOV ? Any way for us to know our assigned license plate number before actually receiving the registration and/or physical plate ?

Thanks!
lindy likes this.
post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moombolt View Post
Hi all,

For all current owners, can you share the approximate timeline from purchasing the car, to getting the license plate, to applying for HOV sticker, to actually getting them ?

I acquired my bolt on 1/16, still haven't gotten my license plate yet. Is it true that we have to wait for the license plate to be in hand, before we can apply for HOV ? Any way for us to know our assigned license plate number before actually receiving the registration and/or physical plate ?

Thanks!
I know the dealer can get you the plate number immediately, and you can then order the CAV stickers. I don't know how long the stickers are taking, because mine have not arrived yet.

My dealer promised to order my plates and stickers the day after I bought the car, but they blew it off for 3 weeks till I made a stink. When I twisted their arm, they gave me plate number the same day. Dealers are able to order the stickers too, but apparently dealers can not be trusted to do anything for you after they have your money.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil0909 View Post
I know the dealer can get you the plate number immediately, and you can then order the CAV stickers. I don't know how long the stickers are taking, because mine have not arrived yet.

My dealer promised to order my plates and stickers the day after I bought the car, but they blew it off for 3 weeks till I made a stink. When I twisted their arm, they gave me plate number the same day. Dealers are able to order the stickers too, but apparently dealers can not be trusted to do anything for you after they have your money.
My dealer claimed that they used to, but no longer pre-acquire stickers.

They said all EV license/registrations are expedited via DMV, said usually 3-4 weeks, but expedited is 2 weeks.
My friend who got a hybrid in SF, got his plates in the mail in 2 weeks

We'll see ....

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dealer ordered the HOV stickers when they filed the rest of the DMV paperwork on 1/5. The white stickers arrived yesterday but I still haven't received my plates.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moombolt View Post
My dealer claimed that they used to, but no longer pre-acquire stickers.

They said all EV license/registrations are expedited via DMV, said usually 3-4 weeks, but expedited is 2 weeks.
My friend who got a hybrid in SF, got his plates in the mail in 2 weeks

We'll see ....
I'm in MD....and I got my CA plates (yes, CA plates) about 2 weeks after the dealership finalized the purchase paperwork. I did NOT pay CA tax (or MD tax yet either, actually).

I'm not really sure how I got issued CA plates when I'm not a CA resident AND I didn't pay CA tax, but whatever! I technically have 60 days to register the car in MD now. I have a feeling someone screwed up at the CA DMV.

I supposedly am getting white HOV stickers mailed to me. Worthless in MD, but still funny.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
It took me about 4-5 weeks to get the CA white stickers for my Leaf in 2013.

This time around I am trying to speed the process up a bit by submitting the application before I actually get the car (offloaded from train in Milpitas and awaiting trucking to dealer.) I submitted the application last week when I was able to get the VIN from my dealer (which is needed on the application form) and indicated to the DMV on the form that I am transferring the personalized plates from my Leaf to the Bolt.

It costs $22 to file and I don't know if this approach will work, but I figured it's worth a try. Wish me luck... please!
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V7i7c View Post
It took me about 4-5 weeks to get the CA white stickers for my Leaf in 2013.

This time around I am trying to speed the process up a bit by submitting the application before I actually get the car (offloaded from train in Milpitas and awaiting trucking to dealer.) I submitted the application last week when I was able to get the VIN from my dealer (which is needed on the application form) and indicated to the DMV on the form that I am transferring the personalized plates from my Leaf to the Bolt.

It costs $22 to file and I don't know if this approach will work, but I figured it's worth a try. Wish me luck... please!
Wait, we DON'T need the license plate number ?! Just the VIN ?
I was told we need a license plate number before we can even apply.

Last edited by moombolt; 01-26-2017 at 01:32 PM.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
i pickup my Bolt on 1/10, still waiting for the 'sloths' at the DMV to send me my plates and stickers. dealer said they ordered them for me.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leocal11 View Post
i pickup my Bolt on 1/10, still waiting for the 'sloths' at the DMV to send me my plates and stickers. dealer said they ordered them for me.
I read that in Cali, you can drive up to 90 days using just the temporary registration paperwork before requiring plates to be put on the car. Think of all the toll booths you could blow by scott free!

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
I read that in Cali, you can drive up to 90 days using just the temporary registration paperwork before requiring plates to be put on the car. Think of all the toll booths you could blow by scott free!
yeah just that there are crack downs from time to time

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page