(Thread Starter)
Forbes article on Bolt vs. Tesla Model 3 culture war

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookec.../#23e793f83df2

Plenty of issues to mull over here...
post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
the lack of advertising for this car is what really bugs me.
c'mon Marry Barra, a super bowl 30 second commercial would have been nice....just show the car with a family in it, show the name of the car, show the instrument panel that shows 240miles left, and then showing the mom plug it in when they get home.
now words, just music and logo at the end. done.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
A country-wide commercial would have been a waste of money when it is only available in a few states.

Targeted marketing in the key markets would make much more sense (and which I have seen here in CA).

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
It's just a car. If it's as good a car as I believe it is, there will be no shortage of demand.

And the comparison to Tesla is incidental only due to the range of the vehicle.

The Bolt really has no equal (for now). I see loaded Leaf's still advertised for $34-35k. Why?

FAIR is a four letter "F" word
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leocal11 View Post
the lack of advertising for this car is what really bugs me.
c'mon Marry Barra, a super bowl 30 second commercial would have been nice....just show the car with a family in it, show the name of the car, show the instrument panel that shows 240miles left, and then showing the mom plug it in when they get home.
now words, just music and logo at the end. done.
You have to put yourself in GM's shoes. They have buildings full of extremely smart people that have orchestrated the bolt roll-out with one singular purpose. Profit. They've brought back a bankrupt company in 6 years now selling 10 million cars/year with over $9 billion in profit. That's not by luck. Even though it's rumored and probably true that they loose as much as $9k/bolt, they get more than that back by using the ZEV credits the bolt affords them to continue to sell Silverados and Suburbans. That's where the real profit is. However, they only need to sell around 20k bolts/year IIRC to earn enough credits to stay on track with truck/suv sales. Anything more than that, they can sell to other automakers but at a fraction of their value (Tesla has shown this to be the case as they don't even line item the ZEV credit sales in their financials). So basically, there is a point of diminishing returns with the sale of the bolt. Now if they can get their battery costs down and oil/gas subsidies disappear, they might be able to turn a profit on the bolt and I assure you, if they could make money selling more than 30k a year, they would try like ****.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Actually, GM only needs to sell about 400 Bolts this year to satisfy their ZEV mandate. And only 1400 next year. This is no compliance car.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...for-compliance

2012 Plug-in Prius
2016 Highlander Hybrid
2017 Chevy Bolt (delivered 2/4/2017)
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
The article complains that there isn't enough advertising for the Bolt, but then goes on to say that Teslas are starting to flourish and pop up everywhere. Tesla does zero advertising. No billboards, no TV ads, no magazine ads, no radio ads, not even any internet ads. Advertising doesn't sell new cars, word of mouth sells new cars. Seeing people driving them in the street, particularly the right people, sells new cars.

The Bolt does have the big disadvantage of being an everyday, ordinary every man's car from a stogy old rust belt, brick and mortar type company. A company with a checkered past. A company many don't trust.

It's going to be tough to compete head to head with the Model 3. The Bolt has to convince people to buy it, where as the Model 3 has people lined up to buy it and they don't even really know why they want to buy it, but they just do. Everyone likes to feel special and a Tesla makes you feel special, elite, cutting edge and in the know. The Chevy Bolt is an electric economy car. Your neighbors won't even notice it in the driveway. It's not going to make you feel very special.

It just is what it is.

The part of the article I do agree on is the dealership part. Some dealers really don't want anything to do with the EVs and others do, but are still torn on how much to invest in that type of car, or how much to support it. It's a problem for everyone, the dealers, the buyers and GM.

IMO and I've said this before, GM should set up a new stand alone brand, maybe something new, or maybe resurrect the Saturn brand to sell just their plug ins. These should be stand alone dealerships with only plug in product for sale. They should copy the Tesla model and put them in malls at first.

This would give the EV buyers that special feeling they want, with people that really know the product, it would relieve the Chevy dealers so they could completely focus on selling trucks and SUVs and distance the plug in line from the stigma that is GM. Both Fiat and Mini started with just one product and as sales grew, demand for more product has forced those brands to come up with more models to choose from. IMO, GM's electric models would grow a lot faster by themselves rather than under the shadow of Chevrolet.
jagger likes this.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
IMO and I've said this before, GM should set up a new stand alone brand, maybe something new, or maybe resurrect the Saturn brand to sell just their plug ins. These should be stand alone dealerships with only plug in product for sale. They should copy the Tesla model and put them in malls at first.
I agree on the dealer issue, but I'm not sure this is viable yet. They are aiming at the mass market, and if they sell something like 60,000 to 100,000 Volts and Bolt EVs this year, that's an awfully thin volume to spread around the cost of a brand new dealer network.

Tesla's been able to do it because (a) so far they've been selling luxury cars that have the margins to support a dealer network even on modest volumes, and (b) they been loosing money so far. Those business models just don't apply to what GM is trying to do.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
They're just mad at how well Tesla hacked culture, that all these years they come along and smash the game and now is when it really ramps up for Tesla with a product that will do some serious damage among other things they have planned. It's not going to be pretty. But at least Trump is on Elon's side (i think)
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
It's easier for Tesla since everything is ordered online to your specification and I do admit that their design is more sleek. Chevy dealerships have limited stock and they'll do their best to find one that fits your cafeterias but that's not always going to happen. That's too bad as it could drive away some customers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page