Bolt Production NOT shifted to Korea, still produced in Orion - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bolt Production NOT shifted to Korea, still produced in Orion

I ordered a Bolt back in December (am in Ontario) and it was built the week of February 6, 2017.

My dealership only knew that it was 'in transit' but when I called Chevrolet I found out that because of the demand, production on the Bolt has shifted to South Korea. My Bolt was indeed built but is now awaiting a transport ship to carry it overseas.

I haven't seen this publicized and was blindsided. When I found out my car was built back in early February, I gave my existing car to my sister figuring that mine would be here a few days or a week later. I've now been without a car for a month, because the dealer didn't have the right information.

Chevrolet has botched this rollout at nearly every juncture!

Last edited by bro1999; 03-13-2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Spreading misinformation
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
They shifted production to South Korea? That sounds like something every publication would be all over. And this information came from a Chevy corporate customer service rep?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes it did. On Friday March 10 in the afternoon.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I really do not think final production shifted to S Korea. However, if you look at your window sticker you will note that well over half of the parts in the Bolt EV are from S. Korea, shipped to the US for final assembly.

There could have been a delay or ramp-up glitch at some factory in S. Korea, but I don't think it was final assembly.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bogus report

The hyperlinks in the first two posts lead to a marketer of aftermarket accessories. The GM Authority press release says the car is coming to Korea...via export from the Orion factory. (USA)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
My Bolt was built the week of Feb. 14th, here in the US.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurphyto View Post
My dealership only knew that it was 'in transit' but when I called Chevrolet I found out that because of the demand, production on the Bolt has shifted to South Korea.
Nope, simply not true. And I will not feed a potential troll by saying any more.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm really not trying to troll anyone. I'm simply relaying what the Chevy rep told me on Friday. He didn't indicate that it was replacing the Orion plant, but said that my car was built South Korea and waiting (fully completed) for a ship to transport it to North America.

I was told that once it was on a ship that they would be able to give me an ETA.

I really wish this weren't true - but I'm still without a car and this is the only information I've been able to get from Chevrolet!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurphyto View Post
I'm really not trying to troll anyone. I'm simply relaying what the Chevy rep told me on Friday. He didn't indicate that it was replacing the Orion plant, but said that my car was built South Korea and waiting (fully completed) for a ship to transport it to North America.

I was told that once it was on a ship that they would be able to give me an ETA.

I really wish this weren't true - but I'm still without a car and this is the only information I've been able to get from Chevrolet!
Final production of Bolts is completed in the Orion plant, not Korea. Bolts will EVENTUALLY be sold in Korea....being shipped from MI. Provide some hard evidence backing up your claims.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
If you have the VIN of the car, you can determine where it was built. Bolt's that have been built so far have a VIN that starts with 1G1 which means that it's a GM plant in America. If it was actually built in South Korea, the VIN would start with a KL1, KL2 or KLA.

All Bolt VINs should be starting with 1G1FX6

Update: Premier trim is 1G1FX6 and LT trim is 1G1FW6.

2012 Plug-in Prius
2016 Highlander Hybrid
2017 Chevy Bolt (delivered 2/4/2017)

Last edited by devbolt; 03-13-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page