post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Chevy Bolt tested by Tesla Model S Owner

As posted on Green Car Reports-

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...his-assessment

Pretty fair assessment, IMHO. Should get some Model 3 wannabees to bolt over to the Bolt!
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
That whole wider door part will mean a lot to the bigger americans among us and with the way the Model 3 is shaping that won't help.
Actually I don't think that even the Model X will load bigger passengers as easily in the front, now in the rear that will be a different story.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eops View Post
That whole wider door part will mean a lot to the bigger americans among us and with the way the Model 3 is shaping that won't help.
Actually I don't think that even the Model X will load bigger passengers as easily in the front, now in the rear that will be a different story.
Add the millions of older "seniors" who have mobility problems, and cannot climb into a low slung vehicle, or a tall SUV. The Bolt is perfect for them, since it has higher seats, flat floor from door to door (no edges to climb over), flat bench seat to slide across, and excellent driver visibility. The flat floor also makes it easier to clean!

16kW Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed and ready
EVSE registered at PlugShare.com

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
People don't seem to realize that Tesla sedans are fundamentally sports sedans. Low Cd targets make for sexy shapes, but impractical back seats, difficult access, and poor cargo arrangements. High performance motors make for worse energy efficiency, which is why despite having worse aerodynamics, the Bolt has a longer Highway range at 75 mph than the model S60. There is a price to pay in terms of compromises for these choices.

They will typically have higher maintenance costs as well.

This is why I went for a Bolt. EV fun, Tesla range, and hatchback practicality. Rocks all the boxes for me.
flmgrip likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Grinwis View Post
People don't seem to realize that Tesla sedans are fundamentally sports sedans. Low Cd targets make for sexy shapes, but impractical back seats, difficult access, and poor cargo arrangements. High performance motors make for worse energy efficiency, which is why despite having worse aerodynamics, the Bolt has a longer Highway range at 75 mph than the model S60. There is a price to pay in terms of compromises for these choices.

They will typically have higher maintenance costs as well.

This is why I went for a Bolt. EV fun, Tesla range, and hatchback practicality. Rocks all the boxes for me.
It's true, there are always trade offs in engineering and design. Ultimately the marketplace will determine who chose the better path. It's shaping up to be kind of an IBM PC vs. Apple kind of thing. I think Elon looked hard at his iPhone and said- "I want a car like this.", where as GM is thinking purely in terms of functionality and economy.

I think the Model 3 will be a huge sensation, but I also think GM can compete in the marketplace on functionality and bang for the buck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
It's true, there are always trade offs in engineering and design. Ultimately the marketplace will determine who chose the better path.
Well, this isn't a VHS vs. Betamax "winner takes all" kind of contest. There's plenty of room in the market for several successful form factors. That's a good thing, it gives us all some choices.
V7i7c and DaV8or like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post
Well, this isn't a VHS vs. Betamax "winner takes all" kind of contest. There's plenty of room in the market for several successful form factors. That's a good thing, it gives us all some choices.
Not just different form factors (body styles), but also different levels of powertrains.

It's somewhat analogous to the muscle car wars of the 60's and 70's.

2012 Plug-in Prius
2016 Highlander Hybrid
2017 Chevy Bolt (delivered 2/4/2017)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondjram View Post
Add the millions of older "seniors" who have mobility problems, and cannot climb into a low slung vehicle, or a tall SUV. The Bolt is perfect for them, since it has higher seats, flat floor from door to door (no edges to climb over), flat bench seat to slide across, and excellent driver visibility. The flat floor also makes it easier to clean!
Agree entirely about how easy it is to get in and out for older folks. I'm 62. My wife commented today on how easy it is to get in and out of the Bolt EV.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post
Agreed. There is plenty of room for diversity of vehicles. Right now though, the EV fans seem to be favoring Tesla and there's nothing wrong with that. I think when more and more buyers with no previous EV experience enter the market, they will start gravitating towards the Bolt. It offers utility and bang for the buck over style. It will be interesting to see if other manufacturers step to compete in this segment other than Nissan and what they might offer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page