8Likes

post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Are Bolt owners really "Tesla Wannabees"

Just ordered my new Bolt and couldn't wait to tell my family and friends. It will be my third (around town) car and am retired so not using for commuting. Just want to save our planet, use the solar panels on my house, and have some FUN!

However, so far most has questioned my decision and say "why not Tesla" or "can't you afford a Tesla" or "Chevy, are you kidding me"???

Thoughts from Bolt users?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I am a CO Bolt owner. Why not Tesla? #1 cost, after tax rebates (Assuming the Fed rebate is still there at end of this year) the car costs me less
than $30000. No current Tesla can be had for that. The design suits my needs very well a hatchback with good cargo capacity. Don't want to wait for whenever Tesla model 3 finally comes out and anyway I would be far enough down in the buying order that I doubt I would be able to get the federal rebate if it still exists since Tesla will probably have exhausted it's 200000 unit limit. I love my Bolt and I'm not one who buys a brand just for name status
even if Tesla is what all the cool kids are buying
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reasons

Not everyone lives nearby to a Tesla showroom or service center. If your Bolt gets a ding, who cares? With a sleek, sexy sedan I could go crazy with chips or dings in my car. I have two dogs. I don't care if there is dog hair in a Chevy. I have hundreds of Bolts to choose from in Southern California. Chevy will bring one to my house if I want a test drive. My Volt is insanely reliable. So I think the Bolt will be as well. I can get the 7,500 tax credit. I'm not in line to get it from Tesla. So an M3 is automatically a lot more expensive, although I would be happy if GM sold enough Bolts and Volts to exhaust its tax credits.

How much do you think XM Radio and heated seats will cost on an M3? I'm not sure. We'll all find out in July when production of the M3 starts. If I can get XM Radio and heated seats and steering wheel for 1,500 that would be a 1,000 premium over a Bolt (not counting the tax incentive), so that's not too much of a premium. But as I said, no one knows what features will be in a base Tesla M3. Until we see that, no one really knows which car is a better deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
No, I prefer the Chevy. I seriously considered the Model S, especially when they were doing 2-year leases. But it was too bulky for my needs, and I hear terrible things about the Teslas' service record.

The Tesla Model Y sounds like it might work for me someday. If Tesla survives long enough to build it, and improves their reliability, I might well trade in my Bolt for a Tesla then. Maybe 2023?
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
If someone gave me a Tesla I'd trade it in for a Bolt. I don't like the Tesla form factor - a small hatchback suits much much better.

By the way, this thread is in the wrong section...
EldRick likes this.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sean, Yes I know its in the wrong section. However asking three members how to "start a new thread" I finally found the option in only place in the forum and that was this section. How do I start new threads in any other sections? and can I "move" this one?

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
I have moved the thread to the General Discussion part of the site.

2012 Plug-in Prius
2016 Highlander Hybrid
2017 Chevy Bolt (delivered 2/4/2017)
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
As to the actual topic, I don't think that Bolt owners are Tesla wannabes anymore than a Toyota Highlander owner is a BMW M3 series wannabe. The cars compete in different market segments (hatchback versus sedan) and potentially at different price points. The only similarity is that they both have an electric powertrain.

I personally don't care for sedans. I prefer hatchbacks, whether it's a liftback like the Prius, an SUV like the Highlander, a Bolt, or even a minivan, as they offer more versatility. So a Model 3 was never really in the cards, despite how sexy it might be.

2012 Plug-in Prius
2016 Highlander Hybrid
2017 Chevy Bolt (delivered 2/4/2017)
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devbolt View Post
The only similarity is that they both have an electric powertrain.
Would you have bought the Bolt if it hadn't had an electric drive train? I think most of the owners here would not have. So, the Bolt and the Model 3 are extremely similar when it comes to the main reason for buying one.
jimmyspeed likes this.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampera e View Post
Would you have bought the Bolt if it hadn't had an electric drive train? Would you have bought the Bolt if it hadn't had an electric drive train? I think most of the owners here would not have.
It seems to me like you're projecting your own preferences onto other people. It may well be that more people would prefer a sedan than a hatchback, but I'm very, very skeptical that this would be true of those who have actually bought a Bolt.

My current car is a Prius C which has almost exactly the same form factor as the Bolt. And small hatchbacks have been my choice of car for a few decades now. The reason I wouldn't have bought a Bolt is because I've never been particularly impressed by North American cars. But a Bolt is in my future because GM is the one who's come up with the right kind of car with the right kind of range at a price that's affordable to me.

Last edited by Sean Nelson; 04-24-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page