los angeles to las vegas ? - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
los angeles to las vegas ?

planning on going to vegas and need advice ...


i'll be getting to Victorville with about 90 miles driven ~60% charge left?
planning on charging with the evgo charger dcfast in Victorville
then 190 miles to my hotel in vegas


doable without to many compromises in speed and climate control?


i'm planning on not using climate and to travel with the flow of traffic ...


any advice? has anyone done it? how long will it take to charge from 60% to 100%? any other tips? it's a "hilly" freeway, does the charger at stateline work?


thanks!
flmgrip is offline  
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:23 AM
Member
 
DrZip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Here is a quick video of the Bolt on that trip.


Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
planning on going to vegas and need advice ...


i'll be getting to Victorville with about 90 miles driven ~60% charge left?
planning on charging with the evgo charger dcfast in Victorville
then 190 miles to my hotel in vegas


doable without to many compromises in speed and climate control?


i'm planning on not using climate and to travel with the flow of traffic ...


any advice? has anyone done it? how long will it take to charge from 60% to 100%? any other tips? it's a "hilly" freeway, does the charger at stateline work?


thanks!
DrZip is online now  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Glad to know Best Western got on board with the EV charging stations, more companies need to start doing that since its a win win situation, more potential up sells for them to make and convenience for us.

Some Starbucks locations have chargers, so that's another option along a trip like this.
eops is offline  
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Member
 
David M O'Rourke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Plug-share is the app you need to plan this - it will show you where chargers are located all along your route - plan appropriately and remember there are some nasty uphill grades from LA to Vegas which will dramatically increase your consumption.

I've done the drive twice in a Tesla (before the Mojave charger was available) and the run from Tejon to Barstow, and Barstow to Vegas is a real nail bitter - watch for cold weather you'll use 15-30% more if the temps are below 50F…
David M O'Rourke is online now  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Once the proposed DCFCs go in in Baker, it will be a piece of cake (ChargePoint is slated to install 4 DCFC chargers in Baker). The two DCFCs slated to go in at Barstow, and the other two at Yermo will help as well - but the 4 at Baker, pretty much halfway to vegas, will be the key.
SparkE is online now  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Advice? Sure. Don't torture yourself trying to drive an electric car beyond its range. Rent or borrow a gas car, and enjoy the drive!
phil0909 is online now  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZip View Post
Here is a quick video of the Bolt on that trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_wtafxmcTA
Did you charge in Victorville? And did you make it all the way to Vegas or did you stop in Primm to get a charge ?

How was your energy consumption thru the grades?

thanks
flmgrip is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil0909 View Post
Advice? Sure. Don't torture yourself trying to drive an electric car beyond its range. Rent or borrow a gas car, and enjoy the drive!
Thanks but that's not the point - I have a volt too ... but i "want" to make this trip on pure eelectric.

I'm asking for eexperience of anyone who has done this trip - especially the 190 miles Victorville to Las Vegas - i know i have the "slow" charger iin Primm if it doesn't look good but I'd rather not stop there ...
flmgrip is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Member
 
DrZip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Not my utube video, but the man who did the video gives all the details, he did charge in Victorville and made it easily to Las Vegas in his Bolt, he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
Did you charge in Victorville? And did you make it all the way to Vegas or did you stop in Primm to get a charge ?

How was your energy consumption thru the grades?

thanks
flmgrip likes this.
DrZip is online now  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
Thanks but that's not the point - I have a volt too ... but i "want" to make this trip on pure eelectric.

I'm asking for eexperience of anyone who has done this trip - especially the 190 miles Victorville to Las Vegas - i know i have the "slow" charger iin Primm if it doesn't look good but I'd rather not stop there ...
You're welcome! Enjoy your trip.
phil0909 is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome