User Tag List

103Likes

post #1 of 432 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Chevrolet Bolt OBD2 PIDs

At long last, here is my work in progress! Please only share the link and not the values directly. I would like to make this a collaborative effort to discover and learn more about the car. I have included some basic recommendations and directions on how to get started for both Apple and Android.

Feedback is welcome!

Shortlink to google spreadsheet: http://bit.ly/ChevyBoltPIDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 432 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telek View Post
At long last, here is my work in progress!
First, THANK YOU!

I had to tweak the CSV file to make it load in EngineLink (it wanted the columns arranged differently).

Can you tell us a bit more about how you went about getting these PIDs? A source? Detective work? Is there a good way to scan for possibly useful PIDs?

You asked people to send you their reading from the Battery Capacity output. Mine says 60.43 kWh. One thing I noticed was that in BlackBolt's post on pack capacity, the “Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Capacity” was in Amp Hours, not kWh, so I wonder if this is the same PID used there, or if there is another one somewhere.
post #3 of 432 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Quote:
At long last, here is my work in progress! Please only share the link and not the values directly. I would like to make this a collaborative effort to discover and learn more about the car. I have included some basic recommendations and directions on how to get started for both Apple and Android.

Feedback is welcome!

Great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertiformed View Post
First, THANK YOU!

I had to tweak the CSV file to make it load in EngineLink (it wanted the columns arranged differently).

Can you tell us a bit more about how you went about getting these PIDs? A source? Detective work? Is there a good way to scan for possibly useful PIDs?

You asked people to send you their reading from the Battery Capacity output. Mine says 60.43 kWh. One thing I noticed was that in BlackBolt's post on pack capacity, the “Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Capacity” was in Amp Hours, not kWh, so I wonder if this is the same PID used there, or if there is another one somewhere.
By chance, was your Bolt fully charged when you got the 60.43 kWh reading?
Telek likes this.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 432 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
By chance, was your Bolt fully charged when you got the 60.43 kWh reading?
Nope. I almost never fully charge. I actually do live at the top of a hill.
post #5 of 432 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Feedback is welcome!

Great effort for this community to all those involved. Well done Telek!
Telek likes this.

ICU
post #6 of 432 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Very nice. Thank you all for working on this. I will be watching closely. Once it is all sorted out for us computer illiterates, I will be thrilled to plug 'n' play.
Telek likes this.
post #7 of 432 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertiformed View Post
First, THANK YOU!

You're welcome

What did you have to change to get EngineLink to work? I'll add another page and reorder the columns then.

I used a random custom app written by a guy I found on another forum. It's just a really simple android app. I'll see if he's willing to "advertise" it, or maybe post the code on github so that we can improve it.

****, I wish that I had seen BlackBolt's post earlier. Yes, it's almost certainly the same PID, but I question if it's Ah. I think that /30 to get kWh makes more sense, as it gives us almost exactly 60kWh for everyone so far. The reason that I'm skeptical is because using this as Ah would be too high for pack capacity, considering that we know it's a "57kWh" rated pack. I can believe that we can squeeze 60 out of it, but 64 is too high.

This is a topic of much debate over on the Facebook group!

Last edited by Telek; 03-31-2018 at 07:46 PM.
post #8 of 432 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
What did you have to change to get EngineLink to work? I'll add another page and reorder the columns then.
Here's their format. (Guesswork on my part, based on files they provide. I thought it was supposed to read Torque Pro files, but it didn't seem to work when I tried it.)

Quote:
I used a random custom app written by a guy I found on another forum. It's just a really simple android app. I'll see if he's willing to "advertise" it, or maybe post the code on github so that we can improve it.
That's be great.

Quote:
****, I wish that I had seen BlackBolt's post earlier. Yes, it's almost certainly the same PID, but I question if it's Ah. I think that /30 to get kWh makes more sense, as it gives us almost exactly 60kWh for everyone so far. The reason that I'm skeptical is because using this as Ah would be too high for pack capacity, considering that we know it's a "57kWh" rated pack. I can believe that we can squeeze 60 out of it, but 64 is too high.
See my post in the other thread!

Quote:
This is a topic of much debate over on the Facebook group!
I wouldn't know. I don't do Facebook, never have. (I thought it'd only last as long as myspace before the next thing came along. I guess I was wrong about that, but still feel pretty good about not going down that rabbit hole.)
post #9 of 432 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:35 PM

BTW, in my GM_Volt.csv (that came with EngineLink), I have:

222429,HV Volts,0,400,V,(Signed(A)*256+b)/64,7e1

In your Bolt CSV, that's marked as an unknown, but as I recall, this has provided meaningful-looking voltage measurements, and this is how Inst Kpower is calculated for the Volt and seemed to work fine for my Bolt, specifically it's

,Inst. kPower,-100,100,kW,[HV Volts]*[HV Discharge Amps]/1000,0

Is there some reason you're not using this one?
post #10 of 432 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Especially great job on providing a help page for others to purchase readers, Telek!
gern_blanston and Telek like this.

2017 Summit White Bolt LT, VIN #83351, built 8/2017 (real range anxiety now).
2017 Kinetic Blue Volt LT, VIN #11925, built 6/2016. (loved it, only fake range anxiety, but traded due to annoying misfires)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page