2Likes

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostrom View Post
Slightly off-topic, I'm very interested to hear you're using the Bolt for ride-sharing. There's quite a bit of concern about ride-sharing increasing CO2 output due to various factors. It's struck me that with its relatively generous internal proportions, nimble behavior in traffic and (of course) superior propulsion system that it's almost ideally suited to this work.The range is enough to exhaust any driver in metropolitan traffic.

Ideally Uber and other firms "helping" drivers into cars would steer them this way, to the point of heavy subsidization.

How is the Bolt working out for you in this duty?

No worries about going off topic as the question has likely been definitely answered.

I was not aware of the pollution concern conversations. Regardless, ride-sharing with a pure EV should have the opposite effect, eh?

I agree with your assessment that the qualities you mentioned make it an ideal car for that endeavor. I've given a few dozen rides now and the car performs beautifully. I was initially concerned about the Bolt's suitability to the task however (front seats, rear passenger comfort, storage), and actually took a couple of ride requests with the car during the day-long test drive the dealer consented to (shh... don't tell Uber). But the front seats were comfortable enough, the passengers were actually impressed with their compartment, although I have yet to test how many pieces of luggage can be crammed into the back. I'm coming off a 4th GEN Prius, which I think had more storage.

btw - a couple of utubers did a comparison of the Bolt and the Kona, and the Kona had far less legroom in the back seat relative to the Bolt (but more rear cargo space). So in my mind the Bolt edged out the Kona (for when it becomes available in the states).

The other thing I like about the Bolt is that it has easier ingress/egress than my Prius. I really like how it sits up off the ground, and although I didn't measure, assumedly has better ground clearance. The Prius was always scraping driveways.

One significant demerit for the Bolt though are the huge-o blind spots, like on the C pillars (the blocked field of view between the rear passenger windows and the back window). At one point yesterday I was needing to be super confident that no objects were near my right rear quadrant, but no matter how much I craned my neck and slid back and forth in the drivers seat, I could not view around a portion of the blind spot. Never aware of that issue in any other car I've driven. Makes me wish I had purchased some of the additional option packages that provide more telemetry.

For me, the ultimate ride-share vehicle is the Model X, because with a 7-passenger config it can qualify for the premium Uber categories. If I was really serious about ride-sharing I would want one. But I'm not at all serious. So on balance, the Bolt is really sweet for ride-sharing. I always give the pedal a steep push at some point in the ride to see if the fare will pick up on the fact they are in an electric car. Almost to a person they do, and that provides a great opportunity to evangelize a bit. :>

Last edited by Coastal_Cruiser; 01-20-2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal_Cruiser View Post
No worries about going off topic as the question has likely been definitely answered.

I was not aware of the pollution concern conversations. Regardless, ride-sharing with a pure EV should have the opposite effect, eh?

I agree with your assessment that the qualities you mentioned make it an ideal car for that endeavor. I've given a few dozen rides now and the car performs beautifully. I was initially concerned about the Bolt's suitability to the task however (front seats, rear passenger comfort, storage), and actually took a couple of ride requests with the car during the day-long test drive the dealer consented to (shh... don't tell Uber). But the front seats were comfortable enough, the passengers were actually impressed with their compartment, although I have yet to test how many pieces of luggage can be crammed into the back. I'm coming off a 4th GEN Prius, which I think had ore storage.

btw - a couple of utubers did a comparison of the Bolt and the Kona, and the Kona had far less legroom in the back seat relative to the Bolt (but more rear cargo space). So in my mind the Bolt edged out the Kona (for when it becomes available in the states).

The other thing I like about the Bolt is that it has easier ingress/egress than my Prius. I really like how it sits up off the ground, and although I didn't measure, assumedly has better ground clearance. The Prius was always scraping driveways.

One significant demerit for the Bolt though are the huge-o blind spots on the C pillars (the blocked field of view between the rear passenger windows and the back window. At one point yesterday I was needing to be super confident that no objects we near my right rear quadrant, but no matter how much I craned my neck and slid back and forth in the drivers seat, I could not view around a portion of the blind spot. Never aware of that issue in any other car I've driven. Makes me wish I had purchased some of the additional option packages that provide more telemetry.

For me, the ultimate ride-share vehicle is the Model X. If I was really serious about rise-sharing I would want one. But I'm not at all serious. So on balance, the Bolt is really sweet for ride-sharing. I always give the pedal a steep push at some point in the ride to see if the fare will pick up on the fact they are in an electric car. Almost to a person they do, and that provides a great opportunity to evangelize a bit. :>
What an excellent synopsis--- thanks!

The ride-share thing is apparently stimulating low-occupancy vehicle usage and as well to some extent taking away some riders from public transit, the latter the equivalent perhaps to redistributing packages for delivery by UPS to many smaller vehicles. So as an engineering problem, providing the advantages of ride-share to customers while not adding to some already acute problems is a challenge that it seems EVs are very well suited to meet, as you say.

Thanks again for a super-informative answer.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Happy to share such info.

By the way, going back to the subject of door locks, I have discovered that there are no door unlock mechanisms on the back doors. Given the shape and recessed attribute of the plunger there seems to be no way for a rear passenger to unlock their own door?

I feel stupid asking the question, but I looked and googled several times. No rear door unlockers. What am I missing?

Last edited by Coastal_Cruiser; 01-20-2019 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page