Energy efficiency experiences after about 1 month - Page 3 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

10Likes

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
My IP tells me that I have a 2.6 average, I reset it once but that was way back when the car only had a few miles on it, I would say most of the 1300 or so miles driven are reflected in this average.

I do like my cars very warm inside 80 is a common inside car temp for me, believe me I do not mind getting less mileage if my car is warm enough.

I charge on an average of 3 times a week, I keep hilltop reserve on, that gives me a full charge on the GOM of just under 200 miles.

I recharge when I see under 100 miles on my Gom, I can charge at anytime since I pay a single rate of around 7 cents but I let it charge in the wee hours when I have less energy use going on.

My home is an all electric well insulated brick home built in the 60's, my utility provider has only one rate without a special rate for an electric vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davioh2001 View Post
I've had this car for about 1 month and 1500 miles;
The lowest I got was this week @ 20 degree freezing temps with ice and with a lot of "idling" and HVAC used waiting on Amazon package to arrive at my local Amazon store. The Result; only 2.3 miles per kWh.
800 mile trip to and back from Dallas, TX averaged around 4.0 miles per kWh highway speeds 55-75 mph no HVAC to help range out. I did find out near the end after it dips to below 10 miles they no longer even give You a milage remaining just a frantic low battery light blinking and that was unnerving!
A few weeks ago at a temperate 70 degree temps with no HVAC and careful city driving @40 mph. The result an incredible 7.2 miles per kWh over around 30 miles or so. Are such wild variances in efficiency to be expected?
Yes, that is my experience too. Only 23 days but I'm confident I'm over 1500 miles by now. I went on a day trip with my wife. 80 miles there at about 65mph (the speed limit, to keep with the flow of traffic) and 75 miles back at varying speeds through the towns and villages. I forget the exact numbers but it was under 4 to drive there and close to 5 on my way back simply because of slower average speed. I went back the way I did both to compare and also because my wife likes the more scenic route. (It was low traffic density being late on a Sunday evening.)

Point is, speed matters. The car has to push air molecules out of the way.

One reason winter mileage is worse is because the air molecules are more densely "packet" which means there's more mass for the car to push out of the way. Another reason is road grip. I get worse mileage in heavy rain. (Plus I need the A/C to dehumidify the windshield so that I can see.)

2017 Bolt Premier, Cajun Red
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
As an update with warm weather but forcing myself to live without AC to max out the efficiency of it. GOM reading avg 315 miles with 5.5 miles per KWH- in city it's astoundingly good!
redpoint5 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Quote:
As an update with warm weather but forcing myself to live without AC to max out the efficiency of it. GOM reading avg 315 miles with 5.5 miles per KWH- in city it's astoundingly good!
Have you had the powertrain control module recall update done? some have noted a drop in their numbers after the update.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ12 View Post
Quote:
Have you had the powertrain control module recall update done? some have noted a drop in their numbers after the update.
No I didn't do that as to be honest the car has given me no troubles in that area and I'm afraid it could possibly do me more harm than good!
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Quote:
Awesome! I think the best I ever did was 5.1. I ran w/o AC for a day or two and used the trip meter to check my "mileage". I do have a kWh meter on my EVSE and where I used to spend $25 / wk on gas, I now spend $11, so screw it, I'm running the AC!

2017 Bolt LT, 2014 Tesla Model S
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not a fan of air conditioning, I would rather be hot, driving the car with the drivers window half way down and the rear windows down a few inches is all I need to be comfortable.

Now that its warm I charge my car once a week, I am averaging 5.1 miles Kwh.

I wasn't resetting my average that is why my average was so low (2.6) it was over all the miles I had driven some somewhere around 4K miles.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page