9Likes

post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
There's just really no way to make those stickers look good...Best you can do is pick a corner and stick them there.
Why can't they just require one instead of three?
Because it's a state bureaucracy. The program and stickers were no doubt designed by committee. It was probably such a nightmare for them, that they likely have no interest in revisiting the issue. We're likely stuck with it for at least another decade.

Maybe Elon Musk can talk to the state about the way his cars are being defaced and offer to come up with something better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
Because it's a state bureaucracy. The program and stickers were no doubt designed by committee. It was probably such a nightmare for them, that they likely have no interest in revisiting the issue. We're likely stuck with it for at least another decade.
I kind of hope you're right about the decade. Because all the stickers are currently scheduled to expire in less than 22 months.
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil0909 View Post
I kind of hope you're right about the decade. Because all the stickers are currently scheduled to expire in less than 22 months.
My bet is the white sticker program will be extended, but the green sticker program will sunset.

2012 Plug-in Prius
2016 Highlander Hybrid
2017 Chevy Bolt (delivered 2/4/2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devbolt View Post
My bet is the white sticker program will be extended, but the green sticker program will sunset.
Your guess is as good as mine, but that would be very different from what was done last year. It seems difficult to predict what the politicians will do on this. Nothing would surprise me, from complete sunset as of 12/31/18 to an extension through 2025 for both colors.
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Quote:
I did not know that. I looked it up and they expire 1/1/19, so basically we have the rest of this year and all of next year. I also noted that this program requires federal approval. They could kill it even sooner if they want. With the GOP hate for promoting EVs, I really wonder about renewal.

So we get to keep the stickers on just long enough for the paint to fade, so when we take them off, we can see the ghost HOV past and remember back when...
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devbolt View Post
If a cop is in a mood, you can get ticketed for not having the right number of stickers on the car. The likelihood of that happening is super low, but still exists. Dunno if it would be a simple cheap fix-it ticket, or a spendy carpool-lane violation. I've never been brave enough to find out the hard way and just put the stickers on like it was shown.
Funny story. I was at a BBQ one day talking to a friend who is a traffic cop. I was asking him about sticker placement/count, and he apparently had never heard of them. The next time I saw him, he said he pulled someone over who was in the HOV lane (I assume for something unrelated), and would not have known what the stickers actually were had he not heard about them from me.

I don't know how HOV/EV-educated regular, city cops like him are, but I assume the CHP knows whats up, because I see them hanging out at the end of my special off-ramp, ticketing people, and yet I've passed them several times while they're waiting for violators, without getting hassled.
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Why can't they just require one instead of three?
So that the stickers can be seen by a car to the right of, to the left of, and also behind the EV, independent of any glare or sun position ?!!?
devbolt likes this.
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Quote:
Your guess is as good as mine, but that would be very different from what was done last year. It seems difficult to predict what the politicians will do on this. Nothing would surprise me, from complete sunset as of 12/31/18 to an extension through 2025 for both colors.
The white sticker program has been around since before the yellow sticker program. It has always had an unlimited number of stickers, unlike the yellow program, and until recently, the green sticker program. The yellow sticker program was eventually allowed to sunset, but the white sticker program was extended. This happened when the green sticker program came into being.

2012 Plug-in Prius
2016 Highlander Hybrid
2017 Chevy Bolt (delivered 2/4/2017)
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Since the bolt doesn't have an exhaust pipe, would it be ugly to put them where those indents are at the very bottom of the Bolt?
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I agree that they are not at all attractive. I have always just kept mine in an envelope in the glove box. My commute does not involve a freeway with an HOV lane, so I don't use them. Funny though, the first thing the dealer does when I trade the car is slap the stickers on it (It's happened twice)! I guess that's so they don't get lost... Anyway, I am awaiting my 3rd set. And they'll go in the glove box again. Maybe someday they'll put in a carpool lane on Hwy 101 (on the peninsula) and I can use 'em!

2012 Volt
2014 Cadillac ELR
2017 Bolt Premier (delivered 2/26/17)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page