User Tag List

38Likes

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission Fluid

Hi all, I just entered the 73k mile mark and can’t stop thinking about the transmission fluid. As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as “lifetime” fluid and was wondering if anyone has changed their transmission fluid? Thank you in advance. Oh and btw, current gas prices in CA are $4 a gallon, super happy with the bolt.
drdiesel1, BruceA1923 and BEOFGOD like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Hi all, I just entered the 73k mile mark and can’t stop thinking about the transmission fluid. As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as “lifetime” fluid and was wondering if anyone has changed their transmission fluid? Thank you in advance. Oh and btw, current gas prices in CA are $4 a gallon, super happy with the bolt.
I agree with you on the fluid needing to be changed even though Chevy doesn't say when. I plan to change mine around 30k to 50k range myself. Weber Auto did a teat down of the motor and in it he talked about how to drain and refill the motor. I would also say getting a service manual wouldn't be a bad idea.

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
I think you are worrying to much. First the transmission in the Bolt is nothing like an ICE transmission. There are far fewer moving parts, far fewer moving interfaces, far less heat and far fewer ways for contaminants to get in. Transmission fluid typically doesn't need to be changed because the fluid itself is bad, its mainly from all the contaminants. Metal particles/pieces from the changing of gears and rubbing of clutches and moisture getting in causing the fluid to be less effective.

I saw on a Volt forum someone sent a sample of their transmission fluid in at 120,000 miles and the tests showed everything was just fine, no evidence of moisture and very low metallic particle content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Garage
The 2018 Chevy Bolt EV Owner Manual has no maintenance schedule event for the transmission fluid change:
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ers-manual.pdf

See page 324 for the schedule and see page 327 for the electric motor drive. As indicated, your dealer knows when to change the fluid according to driven miles and vehicle age. It will probably be after ten years or over 200K miles. The filter will catch most of the metallic particles.

No other vehicle in production has lesser maintenance!

16kW Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed and ready
EVSE registered at PlugShare.com
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
I would trust the engineers who produced the car and follow the maintenance schedule. That saying, I haven't brought my Bolt to the dealership since my second free service. I monitor my fluid levels, change my cabin air filter as scheduled since I live in an area that has bad air quality, and Les Schwab rotates my tires for free. For high mileage drivers the Bolt saves you so much time. Changing oil every 3000 to 5000 miles was a PITA!
Raymondjram, TimBolt and ol3Faz like this.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the input and video.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
I agree with you on the fluid needing to be changed even though Chevy doesn't say when. I plan to change mine around 30k to 50k range myself. Weber Auto did a teat down of the motor and in it he talked about how to drain and refill the motor. I would also say getting a service manual wouldn't be a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APhRPSdmdmk

"teat down" ?

<snicker>
Sibilance likes this.

Driving electric since 1997!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrew View Post
"teat down" ?

<snicker>
Price I pay for typing that on the work computer that doesn't have built in spell check. lol
Sibilance likes this.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Garage
I agree! Lifetime fill is total crap. I plan to change mine at 35K miles.

2017 Loaded Premier in Summit White
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiesel1 View Post
I agree! Lifetime fill is total crap. I plan to change mine at 35K miles.
I agree. Been resisting posting the video showing the "lifetime" transmission fluid, or at least their change it at 150,000 mile, transmission fluid. We still have heat, though not the heat of an ICE vehicle, in these motors and also have gear shearing occuring. I could also show what happened on the BMW R1200 series "lifetime" final drive fluid. Let's just say, it was expensive. Now, it's possible the fluid might last well beyond your owning of the vehicle, but then again it is cheap insurance to just change it. If you would rather not, just get a sample and send it out for analysis which can also tell you if it's time to change.

Oil and grease are cheaper than steal and iron.
drdiesel1 and BruceA1923 like this.

Last edited by Cataract2; 04-19-2019 at 09:17 AM.