• 2 Post By billatq
  • 1 Post By redpoint5

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Traction Devices / Snow Chains

In Washington, going over certain passes sometimes requires snow chains or equivalent ("alternative traction devices") in the winter to be equipped. This could put you in a position where you can cross a pass one way, but weather conditions prevent you from returning.

Unfortunately, the manual has this to say about snow chains:
Quote:
Warning: Do not use tire chains. There is not enough clearance. Tire chains used on a vehicle without the proper amount of clearance can cause damage to the brakes, suspension, or other vehicle parts. The area damaged by the tire chains could cause loss of control and a crash.
Washington state helpfully has a list of traction devices that they approve in place of snow chains: http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/image...ion_device.pdf

Of those on the list, the Autosock, Grip Tex and SOS Grip look the least likely to cause any kind of damage and look pretty easy to use. I'm ordering a Size 4 SOS Grip (008404) for the OEM tires from Amazon.fr for about $75 shipped since that seems to be the cheapest option.

Does anyone else have any experience with these products?
quirkySquirt and just frank like this.

Last edited by billatq; 12-02-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
I'd go with Z-type cable chains. Used properly, they will do no damage and perform very well.

If frequently traveling in snow/ice, I'd get dedicated snow tires.
surgeonFWW likes this.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The Z-chain is interesting if there is enough clearance.

Iím rarely going to drive in snow, but Iíd like to be able to cross the pass per the rules in Washington, and you canít really avoid chains unless unless you have an AWD/4WD vehicle, even with snow tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
have you looked in to "snow socks"/"tire socks"? I have a set for my Volt. Should probably also get some or our Bolt. I haven't had to use them yet so I don't know how well they hold up, but in theory they are reusable. Its literally a layer of cloth so there's no way it would be too thick and interfere with clearance.

having not used mine yet, I cant speak to just how reusable they are, though they claim to be. But its nice to know I have them in my car for an emergency. I'm a Washingtonian as well. It doesn't snow much, but when it does you can be screwed pretty quick if youre not prepared.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdnoe View Post
have you looked in to "snow socks"/"tire socks"? I have a set for my Volt. Should probably also get some or our Bolt. I haven't had to use them yet so I don't know how well they hold up, but in theory they are reusable. Its literally a layer of cloth so there's no way it would be too thick and interfere with clearance.
I ordered some from France, but Amazon.fr is taking it's sweet time to send them. I should probably consider some made domestically.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page