User Tag List

33Likes

post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Lightweight Wheels and Tires combo (38lbs vs 46lbs Stock)

After admiring the Cruze Eco wheels swaps on this forum, I looked around for some good quality, used and cheap Cruze Eco Wheels, I was able to find some “B” Quality wheels without any surface scratches for $99 to $110 a wheel, add to that media blasting and powder coating for $50 a wheel and I was very happy with the look, quality and final price of my Lightweight Forged wheels!

I really hated the stock tires, so one of the first things I did was to swap them out for a set a summer tires, the Riken Raptor ZR. These are great tires, very sticky and quite cheap, unfortunately at 25 lbs they are not the lightest tires around, so I looked on Tire Rack to find the Lightest tire in the stock size, that will still give performance improvements over the stock tires. I settled on the Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S (H or V speed rating) that are at the top of their performance category and at 21 lbs they are one of the lightest tires around, only beaten by the Non-SelfSeal version of the Michelin Energy Saver A/S.

Here is the weight breakdown (all taken with my bathroom scale)
BoltEV Stock Wheel: 23 lbs
Cruze Eco Wheels: 17 lbs

Stock Michelin Energy Saver A/S with SafeSeal: 23 lbs
Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S (H or V speed rating): 21 lbs

Riken Raptor ZR: 25 lbs

Stock Wheels and Tires Combo: 46 lbs
Stock Wheels and Riken Combo: 48 lbs
Cruze Eco Wheels and Goodyear Eagle Sport Combo: 38 lbs

So that combo is a 8 lbs gain per corner (36 lbs total) compared to stock and a full 10 lbs per corner (40 lbs total) compared to my previous setup. That’s a lot!

I am very happy with that setup, it looks great, and is bound to improve every aspects of the car, better range, better ride quality, better acceleration, shorter braking distance, lighter load on the suspension components, etc. I have not tested for performance yet, I will do a few pulls in the upcoming days with Torque...

Update: The new wheels did triggers some inconsistencies with the Blind Spot Indicator as shown in this thread, theses issues were easily fixed by adding some Dynamat-style material (Butyl-backed alumium foil) over and around the sensor in the rear bumper.

Now we need to find some direct fit 2 pieces brake rotors for the final weight savings on the wheels...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current: '17 Bolt EV | '13 Honda Civic Hybrid
Previous: '14 Rav 4 EV |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| '12 Mercedes GL450 |
| '08 Lexus LS460 |

Last edited by timeToy; 03-29-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
I'd expect that the ride would improve considerably vs. stock, with a 10lb./corner weight reduction.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Good on you for checking tire weights. I posted about that a few times, MOI blah blah. Gains are going to show up in stop&go if any where. Possibly better ability of suspension to control up/down wheel movement. May ride better. And better to 60.

Losses may show up in steady state cruise stuff. Because increased friction.

Please report results!

BTW where did you score the wheels?
GreenGo17 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh man, those look great! Big thanks for posting this and I second hatchy's requests.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchy View Post
(...)BTW where did you score the wheels?
Junkyards, try your local junkyard or eBay.
For some reason the junkyards' inventory software are calling theses wheels "Wheel VIN P 4th Digit Limited 17x7 15 Spoke Opt Rtn" so that what you want to put in eBay search field

| '12 Mercedes GL450 |
| '08 Lexus LS460 |
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:21 PM

Those wheels look great in black. BTW, Chevy offers black center caps with a small silver bowtie.

Quote:
Because increased friction.
What increased friction?
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One1whaoo. View Post
Those wheels look great in black. BTW, Chevy offers black center caps with a small silver bowtie.

What increased friction?
I know but I don't think it looks good, as the logo is the ONLY gold element on the side.

Increase friction due to the performance oriented tires.

| '12 Mercedes GL450 |
| '08 Lexus LS460 |
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
...with a small silver bowtie.
Yeah, I lost some range with the same tires, and decided that ride and noise were as important to me as ultimate performance.
I replaced them with a set of Continental PureContact All-Seasons, which have a wider temperature range so I can use them for a few weeks longer before/after snow-tire season.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One1whaoo. View Post
(...)small silver bowtie.
Ah ah, Brain Fart. Silver bowtie will be nice indeed. I'll check them.

| '12 Mercedes GL450 |
| '08 Lexus LS460 |
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Very nice work. A one inch lowering would look so nice. Love the white/black wheels. I have a similar wheel weight setup on my Volt. I have fastwheels fc04 17x8 with 215/55/17 Conti DWS 06 at 37.8 lbs. Wheels are 16.2 lbs and tires 21.6 lbs. Really love these tires. They have the same treadwear as your Goodyear at 560.

For the front rotors, you could contact Wilwood. They could sell you 11 inch 2 piece front rotors to the Bolt spec. Bolt use the same rotors as Cruze. It will not be cheap. 11 inch rotors should be around 500$ the pair. Maybe more. The nice thing is that you can choose plain rotors. Most aftermarket sell them with sloted or drilled which is not needed for street use. Just the rotors should save about 3 lbs each.

Then if you go with a full kit like this: http://pbbrakes.com/chevrolet-cruze-...brake-kit.html , the aluminum 4 pot calipers should save another 8 lbs for the pair. the smallest rotors that kit uses is 12inch /305mm. That size fits easily with 16inch wheels.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page