After admiring the Cruze Eco wheels swaps on this forum, I looked around for some good quality, used and cheap Cruze Eco Wheels, I was able to find some “B” Quality wheels without any surface scratches for $99 to $110 a wheel, add to that media blasting and powder coating for $50 a wheel and I was very happy with the look, quality and final price of my Lightweight Forged wheels!
I really hated the stock tires, so one of the first things I did was to swap them out for a set a summer tires, the Riken Raptor ZR. These are great tires, very sticky and quite cheap, unfortunately at 25 lbs they are not the lightest tires around, so I looked on Tire Rack to find the Lightest tire in the stock size, that will still give performance improvements over the stock tires. I settled on the Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S (H or V speed rating) that are at the top of their performance category and at 21 lbs they are one of the lightest tires around, only beaten by the Non-SelfSeal version of the Michelin Energy Saver A/S.
Here is the weight breakdown (all taken with my bathroom scale)
BoltEV Stock Wheel: 23 lbs
Cruze Eco Wheels: 17 lbs
Stock Michelin Energy Saver A/S with SafeSeal: 23 lbs
Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S (H or V speed rating): 21 lbs
Riken Raptor ZR: 25 lbs
Stock Wheels and Tires Combo: 46 lbs
Stock Wheels and Riken Combo: 48 lbs
Cruze Eco Wheels and Goodyear Eagle Sport Combo: 38 lbs
So that combo is a 8 lbs gain per corner (36 lbs total) compared to stock and a full 10 lbs per corner (40 lbs total) compared to my previous setup. That’s a lot!
I am very happy with that setup, it looks great, and is bound to improve every aspects of the car, better range, better ride quality, better acceleration, shorter braking distance, lighter load on the suspension components, etc. I have not tested for performance yet, I will do a few pulls in the upcoming days with Torque...
Update: The new wheels did triggers some inconsistencies with the Blind Spot Indicator as shown in this thread
, theses issues were easily fixed by adding some Dynamat-style material (Butyl-backed alumium foil) over and around the sensor in the rear bumper.
Now we need to find some direct fit 2 pieces brake rotors for the final weight savings on the wheels...