User Tag List

8Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bilstein shocks available for Bolt?

Browsing for possible shock upgrades, I came across this on JCWhitney: Bilstein Sports that are "In Stock" for the Bolt front suspension.
https://www.jcwhitney.com/details/Bi...L24104050.html
They also list a number of other vendors' shocks for the Bolt: https://www.jcwhitney.com/chevrolet/...strut-assembly

Curiously, the Bilstein web site does not list anything for the Bolt, so this might be a false alarm.

I'm guessing that the Bolt front suspension shares shock absorbers with some other Chevy small car, and some of the vendors have noticed. Anyone care to figure out which G/M partno it is?

Now if I could get Koni to notice and offer their FSDs, I'd be one of the first to buy, for tighter handling and a better ride. If we knew the GM part numbers, perhaps the Koni FSD might substitute after all.

Last edited by One1whaoo.; 06-12-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Garage
Good info.

Though I'm more interested in a minor (~1") drop for now. I'm aware that you're supposed to replace the shocks with lowering springs I figure I can get away with it for 1"

One other thing, I'm not so sure how accurate JCWhitney (aka Warshawsky) is for finding parts for the Bolt. After all they list motor oil and a fuel tank as being compatible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Understood - I've seen non-existent parts listed at JCW in the past. They want you to call...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I didn't call them, but chatted online. They finally admitted that they sell no shocks for the Bolt, in spite of the web page.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been using a vendor in El Cajon for years (Shocks.com) for my Evo and he's always been able to get me shocks that otherwise wouldn't be available. So I've asked him to look into finding me some bilstein's shocks and vogtland coils for the bolt as it looks like the Opel ampera already has aftermarket shocks and springs available.

Wish me luck. If I end up getting good part numbers I'll be sure to post them here.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
That would be excellent, but I'm skeptical, as the shipments for the Ampera are less than 10% of that for the Bolt! I suspect those links are just like the ones I found on JCW.

Last edited by One1whaoo.; 07-11-2018 at 10:26 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpromodraw View Post
I've been using a vendor in El Cajon for years (Shocks.com) for my Evo and he's always been able to get me shocks that otherwise wouldn't be available. So I've asked him to look into finding me some bilstein's shocks and vogtland coils for the bolt as it looks like the Opel ampera already has aftermarket shocks and springs available.

Wish me luck. If I end up getting good part numbers I'll be sure to post them here.
Isn't the Open Ampera the same as the Volt?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Reading through the few Ampera-E Forums, the only "performance" part I found was:

"Chip" your Bolt

...and it's probably not going to happen with the cancellation of the Ampera-E in the EU

Edit:

...oh, and this:

PedalBox for EV's.

Literally a "box" placed under the acceleration pedal that intercepts the electronic signal and "tunes" it. Interesting as it may be a poor mans (Bolt owners) Ludicrous Launch control - allowing a high-torque EV to accelerate smoothly and as fast as possible - yet avoiding slipping of the drive wheels. Ya' know, For when you're not drag racing from street light to street light.

Last edited by shotel; 07-17-2018 at 08:17 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Same thing is available on many ICE cars. It doesn't "tune" anything, just changes the sensitivity curve of the go-pedal, and it has no clue whether or not the wheels are slipping.

It's the same thing that S mode does on the Bolt, only we get it built-in.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Isn't it somehow customization via adjustment?

Example; If I could memorize the correct amount of travel velocity and had the ability to control my right foot, I should be able to apply enough pressure at the right moments to allow a perfect amount of drive wheel rotation just shy of tire slippage (burning rubber) and maintain a near-perfect tire friction with the road. So a device like this one can "tune" to adjust for the many variables such as tire type, road surface, road condition, and such.

I take it traction control does this. But not like a Tesla. When I race my Bolt against my neighbors P100D, even in ludicrous mode, his wheels almost never slip and lose traction. He just mashes the go-pedal and he's off. In traction control, I mash the go-pedal and always wheel slippage. Traction Control off, go-pedal mashed, and the Bolt will burn rubber for 100 feet or more. Even during go-pedal mashing, when wanting to accelerate from a constant 30MPH to merge, the tires most often slip/burn rubber.

If this product isn't, what can be a possible solution?

BTW, in a rolling start at 20MPH, My Bolt kicks my neighbors Tesla butt to 32 MPH! He's gotta drag that extra 1800 lbs. Unfortunately, that's just about the moment he makes the jump to light speed and vanishes from my observable universe.
MarksBolt likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page