User Tag List

6Likes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Suspension?

Yes, I'm that Bolt owner who would lower the suspension. Not slam it, I'd like to see it down about 1-1.5". Would likely help aerodynamics (=range) and handling a bit, along with some better handling tires (I'm really hoping that no season, low rolling resistance tires improve!). Not especially concerned about the batteries vs road hazards as the Bolt seems to sit quite a bit higher than the Volt and Teslas. Hoping someone comes out with an inexpensive and sane aftermarket solution. And maybe a replacement rear spoiler with a slight lip or incline (instead of decline)?
raitchison likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Hm.. It would be interesting to see a bolt lowered to a close to flush fitment lol. I can guarantee someone will get around to making it happen but you may have to wait a while
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
I can't see why the aftermarket companies won't come out with some kind of Bolt lowering kit if there are lowering springs for the Volt which sits lower than the Bolt. Would be interesting to read a mileage comparison review from you after the suspension changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
If we can see some coilovers, not only will the vehicle sit lower, it'll be lighter in components which will aid as well theoretically
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I've really liked the coilovers in my TT, (H&R), but have not taken advantage of raising and lowering the suspension for winter/summer, more of a set it and forget it kind of thing. Went with a good sport spring/shock combo for our family wagon (A4) and have been very happy. A coordinated combo like that would be the best combo for economy vs. performance in the Bolt, imho. That is, if I can find a decent set of LRR tires that I can live with.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Garage
Try the system that uses airbags to lift and lower the suspension on other GM vehicles. Maybe they will have a kit for the Bolt EV, so you can lower it when needed and also lift it when traveling over rough roads and climbing curbs.

16kW Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed and ready
EVSE registered at PlugShare.com
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltar View Post
I've really liked the coilovers in my TT, (H&R), but have not taken advantage of raising and lowering the suspension for winter/summer, more of a set it and forget it kind of thing. Went with a good sport spring/shock combo for our family wagon (A4) and have been very happy. A coordinated combo like that would be the best combo for economy vs. performance in the Bolt, imho. That is, if I can find a decent set of LRR tires that I can live with.
The enclosed underbelly of the Bolt might present some challenges with suspension changes, but won't likely know until you get your hands on one to check it out. It'll be plastic and easy to cut/modify, but might sacrifice some aero.
Re: LRR tires. If performance is your priority, ditch them completely and buy what you want. Teslas don't come with them, and on the owners forums those that have switched get about 2-4% more range (over the OEM). But only at the beginning of tire life. As tires wear, rolling resistance decreases and by the end of the tires life they are very similar. When fitting new tires (OEM), they report a drop in range from the worn out ones.

Gary
2018 Honda Clarity Electric
2014 Honda Fit EV - goodbye after 5 years
(Re)Lease expires Jan 2019
NDEW City Captain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association (OEVA)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
I tried to look for a picture of the chevy bolt's undercarriage to see if thee's enough uncovered space for suspension access but it's like trying to find a unicorn. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Very interesting thoughts, you two, thanks. I'm sure they'll do some aero work underneath, yes, but hopefully not so much in the wheel well/suspension areas? Eventually the springs and shocks would have to be replaced, so they have to be able to come out. A little lower (again, not looking to slam it, maybe 1-1.5" lower) would probably help the Cd anyway. I know the suspension engineers know their stuff better than me, but they're also beholden to the wish to try to present this car lifted as a "CUV", and I just want it to handle as good as it can. Use that nice low center of gravity for handling more like a Tesla. Springs, shocks, ?thicker rear stabilizer bar

Wonder when a repair manual will come out for this car? I'll be looking carefully at available space in the rear end of the car anyway to look for additional cargo area space for a small subwoofer (and additional cargo). From the cutout / chassis pics I've seen, it's not clear to me that all available space behind the rear axle has been captured in the cargo bay. We will see! : )
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
I'm sure you're familiar with the black airflow deflectors under the front of most cars (front bumper and partway under the engine compartment). Imagine that extending to cover the entire underside of the car and you'll have a pretty good idea of what you'll find on the Bolt (and many other EV's).
It's a 2 piece job on the Fit EV - parts diagram:

You can see the notches for the rear suspension near the back and the channel for the drive shafts in the front section.

Gary
2018 Honda Clarity Electric
2014 Honda Fit EV - goodbye after 5 years
(Re)Lease expires Jan 2019
NDEW City Captain

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association (OEVA)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page