2Likes
  • 2 Post By Edchris

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear parking assist sensor part number

I recently installed a rear bike rack on my Bolt. Unfortunately it blocks the center sensor when folded which forces the parking assist to turn itself off. Does anyone know of a reliable resource to find the correct part number for the sensors mounted in the bumper cover? Even better would be a third-party equivalent as there seem to be several on Amazon in the $30 range. I would like to mount a sensor on the bike rack that I could splice into the harness via a connector when the rack is installed and switch back to the original when it's not.

Last edited by glassTransition; 06-11-2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Does it not also block the camera? Are you sure it's just the sonic sensor that is shutting off the park assist?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No, it doesn't block the camera. I'm not positive that it's the sensor that's shutting off parking assist, but this just started happening right after I put the rack on, and when I fold the rack down I don't get the message. I haven't taken the rack off because it's kind of a pain to remove the bolt that holds it in the hitch receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassTransition View Post
I recently installed a rear bike rack on my Bolt. Unfortunately it blocks the center sensor when folded which forces the parking assist to turn itself off.
What exactly do you mean by "parking assist"? Are you talking about getting beeps and an exclamation point in the rear view camera display when you're getting close to objects? Or the guidelines in the rear view camera that show you the path the vehicle will traverse as you back up? Or something else?

I only install my bike rack when I'm actually carrying bikes, and when I do the rear camera view is so obstructed I ignore it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It is called Park Assist in the manual and it is the sensor system that alerts when the vehicle is less than some predetermined distance from an object - not the guidelines - they still work.

As I mentioned, it's a pain to remove the rack and although I have no option but to ignore it (since it doesn't work), I'd rather have it functioning. I have read other threads here where people are chastized for
relying on these systems. I fall into the category of not relying on them, but accepting their assistance regardless.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
I haven't taken the rack off because it's kind of a pain to remove the bolt that holds it in the hitch receiver.
I would get rid of the bolt. I mean the bolt, not The Bolt
I have hitches on several vehicles, & only require the tow capability a couple times a year. It’s a shin buster having the receiver sticking out. Remove the bolt & just use a pin. The pins come with a hole in the end, to accommodate a “pip pin”, or other such device that prevents the pin from coming out. You just pull out the pip, then pull the hitch pin out & remove the receiver. Takes about 5 seconds.
GregBrew and 121 Kw like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edchris View Post
I would get rid of the bolt. I mean the bolt, not The Bolt
I have hitches on several vehicles, & only require the tow capability a couple times a year. It’s a shin buster having the receiver sticking out. Remove the bolt & just use a pin. The pins come with a hole in the end, to accommodate a “pip pin”, or other such device that prevents the pin from coming out. You just pull out the pip, then pull the hitch pin out & remove the receiver. Takes about 5 seconds.

If the pin is like my Draw-Tite 1.25", the threaded pin insures that whatever you plug into the receiver is absolutely positively tightly in there, with zero rattles. A simpler pin, with it's own cotter pin will likely rattle endlessly, unless a shim is inserted too...

Driving electric since 1997!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Quote:
It is called Park Assist in the manual and it is the sensor system that alerts when the vehicle is less than some predetermined distance from an object - not the guidelines - they still work.
If you have something sticking out from the bumper then I guess I just figure that it's normal that the parking sensors will pick it up. That's pretty much what it's supposed to do, isn't it?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page