Unintended Acceleration - Page 4 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Some of your results obviously differ, but in driving the Bolt through two winters in the frozen northwest, we've used L mostly and never experienced any remotely disconcerting behavior, with only two minor owner-operator errors.

We agree one-pedal driving is the single best feature of the Bolt but now we always remember:

1. L with the seatbelt off behaves unexpectedly. Don't do that.
2. L with a full charge behaves unexpectedly on the first few decels. Use mountaintop.

Quote:
On this rainy morning while turning to park in a stall and so I take my food off the accelerator and expected the heavy regenerative braking. Instead it accelerated in to the stall and so I had to brake heavily and it still didn't seem to take hold. Luckily the cement parking block stopped the car albeit I still went over it. No damage but adrenaline.
Quote:
Had to go back and read the original post. There's possibly another cause that can surprise an owner if they're unprepared. If one takes off their seatbelt, the car will not completely stop like it normally does in 'L' mode. It will slow down as normal, but right at about walking speed, it will stop slowing down and even feels like it accelerates. Especially unnerving if you're parking and heading for a barrier. For me, the first time it happened, I was pulling into my garage and suddenly I was heading for the wall.
Saw this happen to another Bolt owner. He released his seatbelt to get his parking pass card out of his wallet, didn't replace his seat belt and had to footbrake panic stop as he was heading for a wall.

jack vines

Last edited by Packard V8; 01-11-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard V8 View Post
Some of your results obviously differ, but in driving the Bolt through two winters in the frozen northwest, we've used L mostly and never experienced any remotely disconcerting behavior, with only two minor owner-operator errors.

We agree one-pedal driving is the single best feature of the Bolt but now we always remember:

2. L with a full charge behaves unexpectedly on the first few decels. Use mountaintop.

Saw this happen to another Bolt owner. He released his seatbelt to get his parking pass card out of his wallet, didn't replace his seat belt and had to footbrake panic stop as he was heading for a wall.

jack vines
With the 2019 if you don't have your seat belt on it still does full regenerative braking. I test this frequently when I stop to get the mail before I pull into the garage.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJon View Post
With the 2019 if you don't have your seat belt on it still does full regenerative braking. I test this frequently when I stop to get the mail before I pull into the garage.
i wish they'd add that via software update for older models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Wow, this is a pretty big game changer and not something to lightly dismiss. If the car was truly accelerating and not just coasting with no regen then there is a software or hardware glitch. Remember the throttle is fly-by-wire as is everything else. The other day my cruise control worked in the morning, not in the evening.
The next day it was working again. I called my dealer and had them make a note in my file in case it turns up again. The Service guy said this is first time he heard of this. Makes me wonder with the whole car being a giant computer how many "this is the first time I hear about this" we are going to hear about. If it was me I would call up the food chain until someone really listens. I'm sure GM would love to avoid a class action lawsuit with a few lines of code.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Unintended Acceleration

If your Bolt has this issue file an incident report with NHTSA.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
cwerdna likes this.

2019 Bolt Premier

Last edited by Boxster1971; 01-11-2019 at 11:08 PM.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJon View Post

But does it behave as normal in "L", or does it behave as if in "D", while in "L" with the seat belt off?

My Bolt does "full regenerative braking" regardless of whether or not I have the seat belt on, or whether I'm in "L" or "D". I just use the left paddle and/or the brake pedal.

Driving electric since 1997!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard V8 View Post

jack vines

A friend bought a Bolt from our dealer and this exact same thing happened to his wife. She popped her seat belt off before being parked and the car released it's regen in L mode and moved forward like a normal ICE would if you didn't control it with the foot brake.

DON'T DO THIS!

I did this too! I was still able to control my car without a problem.

2017 Loaded Premier in Summit White

Last edited by drdiesel1; 01-12-2019 at 05:44 AM.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrew View Post
But does it behave as normal in "L", or does it behave as if in "D", while in "L" with the seat belt off?

My Bolt does "full regenerative braking" regardless of whether or not I have the seat belt on, or whether I'm in "L" or "D". I just use the left paddle and/or the brake pedal.
The 2019 drives like normal "L" with the seat belt off. Trade now and get this feature plus separate heat and AC controls, the ability to limit charge from 40% to 100% by 5% increments and $7,500 TAX CREDIT.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipassgas View Post
So does anyone know the answer to this question please? Do I get the same amount of regenerative braking from D and the brake pedal in normal driving as I get from L in normal driving?

Yes, light braking with the brake pedal in D uses regenerative braking. Heavy braking will go to the friction brakes.

The green/yellow ring in the display will be green during light (regenerative) braking, but will turn yellow if you brake hard enough to go to the friction brakes.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
Very possible for Regen to deactivate in slippery conditions. Hitting a large bump may also disengage Regen, which will feel like the car is actually speeding up (since you are expecting it to decelerate)
I've been thinking about this (I know, that's dangerous). If I'm decelerating in L mode, and I haven't lifted my foot completely off of the "go" pedal when a wheel loses traction and the car instantaneously switches from L to D, it seems to me that the residual depression of the go pedal could cause the car not just to seem to surge, but actually to surge because the go pedal is still depressed. Does that sound like a possibility?
redpoint5 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page