User Tag List

85Likes

post #1 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I wish GM was honest

My pet peeve right now is GM's (seeming) lack of honesty about car sales. It's like they aren't even trying with the Bolt! Kinda like they didn't try with the EV1 20 years ago. No advertising, the Bolt isn't at even half of their dealerships and somehow they manage to sell around 20,000 a year. Imagine if they actually /marketed/ the car! Imagine if they actually /tried/ to sell it! A guy on facebook was saying he's Uber'ing with a Bolt and his passengers never heard of it and have all sorts of questions about it really being all electric.

It's funny to me that GM stopped the EV1 in 2001 citing no demand and technology not ready yet. It wasn't 3 years later Tesla picked up and ran with their first car. You mean to tell me Gorilla Motors couldn't put the effort into creating a car better than the upstart did? The only answer here is the GM didn't want to!

So here's another peeve... Ford said they were stopping sales of all cars except for Mustang. GM just followed suit a few weeks ago. Both say that Americans don't want sedans. Look at the table below... sure as heck looks like a lot of people are buying Toyotas and Honda /sedans/. #9 and #10 are the first Ford and Chevy cars. So here's were I'd love honesty... people don't want to buy /chevy/ cars.

Toy Camry 343,000
Hon Civiv 325,000
Toy Corola 303,000
Hon Accord 291,000
Nissan Sentra 213,000
Nissan Altima 209,000
Hyundai Elantra 201,000
Toy Tacoma 188,000
Ford Fusion 173,000
Chevy Malibu 144,000
Chevy Cruise 142,000
Tesla Model 3 139,000
Hyundai sonata 106,000
Chevy Colorado 104,000
Nissan Frontier 59,000

So let's talk about trucks... GM and Ford are giving up on cars and doubling down on trucks. Reminds me of GM giving up on EV1 and doubling down on Hummers 20 years ago. Now there's a new kid in the Truck market called Rivian who's about to release a truck with 800hp, 10300ft/lbs, 5 ton tow capacity and 300 mile range for $61,000. Most of the guys here at work spend >$50,000 on a truck, one has a platinum Ford for $73,000. Guess what's about to happen? Rivian is going to take Ford and GM's lunch money faster than a 4th grade bully on the playground.

I'm guessing that the buggy whip companies who went out of business in the early 1900's also claimed people just didn't want buggy whips any longer.

2017 Bolt LT, 2014 Tesla Model S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Given GM's existing marketing campaigns, I think marketing the Bolt EV would actually do more harm than good.
Dimitrij and Terry Hancock like this.
post #3 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
No argument about GM's honesty. In addition to a basic lack of honesty is their challenge in dealing with an economy that's on the brink of recession. Being an international company, they are additionally stymied by a trade policy that seems to change by the day. They are doing what a lot of Americans are doing - battening down the hatches in order to weather the upcoming storm. I only hope the Bolt survives...
DaV8or likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to surgeonFWW
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyflyjohn View Post
No argument about GM's honesty. In addition to a basic lack of honesty is their challenge in dealing with an economy that's on the brink of recession. Being an international company, they are additionally stymied by a trade policy that seems to change by the day. They are doing what a lot of Americans are doing - battening down the hatches in order to weather the upcoming storm. I only hope the Bolt survives...

If the Bolt does not survive, many other (better?) options are NOW in production. Some with 300 mile range and some with 150 kW (rather than the Bolt's 50 kW maximum) charging capability are here! Some have 4 motors, rather than one. We are promised that, in the near future, both EVSE of providing 350 kW and EVs capable of accepting 350 kW will be available (become the norm?)! EVs with AI, 6-8 LIDAR arrays and a 2.5 teraflop processor are on the drawing boards. Prices are falling as Li-ion battery prices drop. Other types of power sources (graphene batteries, supercapacitors) are in the works. As soon as the Bolt EV was developed and sold, it began the road to obsolescence. It IS the EV of the present, but not of the future.

Rick's blue Bolt
post #5 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsCoulomb View Post
Given GM's existing marketing campaigns, I think marketing the Bolt EV would actually do more harm than good.
Let us count our blessings GM never commissioned Bolt dancers.
https://youtu.be/QF072W52fc0

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
Let us count our blessings GM never commissioned Bolt dancers.
https://youtu.be/QF072W52fc0
WTH??? Was Bob Lutz trying to not sell cars?????

2017 Bolt LT, 2014 Tesla Model S
post #7 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Oh, come on. The Bolt is unattractive, doesn't have great range at the speeds people like to drive at (=>75MPH), and is expensive. GM is tied down by battery technology. It's the automotive equivalent of the Canon D30 DSLR which sold for $3000 back in 2000 with a whopping 3 megapixels. Yes, it offered an advantage over film for certain applications but was mostly a curiosity in the film world. Putting Tesla aside, EVs are best for super commuters and people who just like new technology. For the average person the advantages are not advantages---just as if you only shot 6-12 rolls of film a year, spending $8,000 for a Canon 1Ds DSLR in 2001 didn't make any sense.
Dimitrij, hatchy and ZoomZoom like this.
post #8 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Well, if we're going to take the history of digital cameras as prognostication on EVs, we should all be quite delighted as we see IC vehicles supplanted by something better.

That said, GM's challenge is to not be Kodak. Parts of the company seem to get it, of course, while other parts don't.

Many years ago I worked on a project to retrofit Bear pollution inspection stations with digital cameras, so that Pennsylvania's regulators could randomly check that the car that was claimed to be attached to a pollution inspection station actually was that car (inspections had problems with "clean cars" available for a bribe to customers of shops providing pollution inspections). I worked with guy at Kodak who totally understood the handwriting on the wall, was urgently trying to steer the company to digital photography but was working against a powerful current of inertia, complacency etc. Even though I got total support from this fellow (lots of free sample cameras, access to proprietary API for talking to Kodak's digital camera offerings and some other hard lifts) and their few DC offerings were decently suited for the job, we ended up not using Kodak equipment because it was clear this guy was a fluke and we wouldn't be able to depend on Kodak at large.

That's probably the picture at GM today. A horrific legacy burden.
jlsoaz likes this.
post #9 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
A problem central to GM's seeming ambivalence towards their Bolt EV, as well as their disastrous conclusion to the EV1 experiment of the late '90s, is the makeup of their corporate Board. Approximately 35% of its stakeholders are oil or oil-related entities. So while Mary Barra wants an all-electric future for GM, the Board of Directors (whose job it is to give the CEO her marching orders) is reluctant to embrace the shift in technology that will damage the cash flow of those oil interests. It's one of the hazards of being a publicly traded company.
Dimitrij likes this.
post #10 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoPetrol View Post
A problem central to GM's seeming ambivalence towards their Bolt EV, as well as their disastrous conclusion to the EV1 experiment of the late '90s, is the makeup of their corporate Board. Approximately 35% of its stakeholders are oil or oil-related entities. So while Mary Barra wants an all-electric future for GM, the Board of Directors (whose job it is to give the CEO her marching orders) is reluctant to embrace the shift in technology that will damage the cash flow of those oil interests. It's one of the hazards of being a publicly traded company.
GM is committing billions of dollars to EV development.

Billions.

I’m sure the GM Board is aware of these expenditures.

2017 Kinetic Blue LT, 1998 Merckx Ti

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page