Ford is going solid state and 370 miles. - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Terry Hancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ford is going solid state and 370 miles.

Slow to get on the bandwagon, but perhaps working harder for the end game.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/12...es-are-coming/
drdiesel1 likes this.

I've been here. I've been there. And I've been in-between.

Driving Electrics since 1973.
Terry Hancock is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
EV tech seems to be one of those areas where if you wait, you might be rewarded, but you run the risk of falling so far behind that it doesn't matter.

Companies like Ford might be hitting that sweet spot: maintaining popular, high-margin vehicles like their F-150 and only getting into EVs when it is actually profitable to do so. GM is actually not in that bad of a situation either, where they benefit from the free cash necessary to buy into any breaking technology (such as solid-state or semi-solid-state batteries).

I guess we'll have to see what the future brings. Exciting times.
gern_blanston likes this.
NewsCoulomb is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Garage
Ford has a huge lead in domestic sales of hybrids and PHEVs, while GM only has the Volt tech as a PHEV. Bolt EV sales are still low, but growing. Ford will bring six new EVs, both PHEV and BEVs for 2020. So they are the big investors over GM and Tesla now. The PHEV F-150 will be a huge success!
drdiesel1 likes this.

16kW Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed and ready
EVSE registered at PlugShare.com
Raymondjram is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:19 PM
Senior Member
 
gern_blanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: PNW
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsCoulomb View Post
EV tech seems to be one of those areas where if you wait, you might be rewarded, but you run the risk of falling so far behind that it doesn't matter.

Companies like Ford might be hitting that sweet spot: maintaining popular, high-margin vehicles like their F-150 and only getting into EVs when it is actually profitable to do so. GM is actually not in that bad of a situation either, where they benefit from the free cash necessary to buy into any breaking technology (such as solid-state or semi-solid-state batteries).

I guess we'll have to see what the future brings. Exciting times.
Excellent post. Trying to predict the future's difficult, but if you wait JUST long enough...
NewsCoulomb likes this.

If it's not foggy,
& your foglights are on,
you are a doofus.
gern_blanston is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Garage
Solid state batteries will be a game changer. I hope when they become more mainstream GM offers replacement (higher capacity) batteries for the Bolt. Would be awesome in a few years to be able to buy a battery that increases range significantly.
Pete Blair is online now  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Terry Hancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Blair View Post
Solid state batteries will be a game changer. I hope when they become more mainstream GM offers replacement (higher capacity) batteries for the Bolt. Would be awesome in a few years to be able to buy a battery that increases range significantly.
Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the business model. It certainly seems to not be the car maker model. I have a little Miev that I would love to drop a new system into. Then I have my Bolt, a very expensive investment, which will lose almost all its value if solid state or other methods take over. And I suspect that there will be many Bolts on used car lots for sale for local type work. But, I believe more strongly that GM, Tesla, Ford, et al, will just expect us to BUY the new format in the form of a brand new car. And...do that each and every time a change is made.

I've been here. I've been there. And I've been in-between.

Driving Electrics since 1973.
Terry Hancock is online now  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Riverside CA
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Hancock View Post
...But, I believe more strongly that GM, Tesla, Ford, et al, will just expect us to BUY the new format in the form of a brand new car. And...do that each and every time a change is made.
Why not? As a society we've demonstrated an unflagging desire to chase the latest technology, no matter the cost, for most of the last 30 years. Why do you think there are so many used Teslas for sale on their web site. Lease returns, followed by another lease on the latest technology.
NoMoPetrol is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Garage
Well you should both notice I said "hope" as I know it is far from a certainty that they would offer it.
Pete Blair is online now  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
If you are waiting and expecting for a better technology to advance to make an EV, your business model will bankrupt the company. Solid state batteries are not ready for EV's and may not be ready for another 10 years. Tesla is investing in the technology and will be ready for it IF it is ever ready to be used. What Ford is saying here is that we don't want to make EV's. Plain and simple.
discodanman45 is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discodanman45 View Post
If you are waiting and expecting for a better technology to advance to make an EV, your business model will bankrupt the company. Solid state batteries are not ready for EV's and may not be ready for another 10 years. Tesla is investing in the technology and will be ready for it IF it is ever ready to be used. What Ford is saying here is that we don't want to make EV's. Plain and simple.
Another theory is that Ford is attempting to stall the exponential growth of EV's by instilling a wait and see attitude from those sitting on the sidelines about to jump in. Every day they can prolong the inevitable is another day of solvency.
Dyefrog is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome