User Tag List

9Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Honda E

Not scheduled for North America, but here's what Honda has going on in the EV space. 125 mile range "minimum". Don't know how that would equate to EPA range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=0VEH9ys655c

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Small city car. Nice for its intended purpose, but for most folks, a range of (a real) 200 miles would likely be a minimum requirement.

For example, I charge my Bolt every couple of days, up to 75% (+200 miles on the GOM). When the GOM shows me around 1/2 charge remaining (about 100 miles left), is when I plug the car back in. Just a piece of mind thing.

Rich

Rich
Cape Cod, MA/Green Valley AZ
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Looks cute (too cute for my tastes, but still)...
Great for a city car. (Probably wouldn't sell in the US, even that it might be fine for bigger cities, which is why they won't release it here.)
Although, the possible prices I've heard seemed way too high for that range...

But who knows. ;-)

2017 Bolt LT - Cajun Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
I would be much more interested in the Sports EV.

https://insideevs.com/news/358131/pa...nda-sports-ev/
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'd be interested if the price was $19,000. Why a small commuter needs to cost so much is beyond me.

125 mile "minimum" range can be interpreted any way. If you consider Wisconsin winters as the minimum, then you're looking at a 250 mile EPA range.

What I want is a $19,000 EV with a 40 kWh battery. Don't really care what it looks like as long as the shape serves a purpose such as aerodynamics or cargo space.
Dimitrij likes this.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post

What I want is a $19,000 EV with a 40 kWh battery. Don't really care what it looks like as long as the shape serves a purpose such as aerodynamics or cargo space.
Everyone says this.. and then they pass on the Bolt because it's "Fine car, good range, decent value but ugly so I want a Tesla." Or they buy these 'cute' cars like this or the Mini EV that's coming, and then say "EVs suck because they have no range".

Last edited by RecessionProofDriver; 07-10-2019 at 06:25 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecessionProofDriver View Post
Everyone says this.. and then they pass on the Bolt because it's "Fine car, good range, decent value but ugly so I want a Tesla." Or they buy these 'cute' cars like this or the Mini EV that's coming, and then say "EVs suck because they have no range".
Yeah. Reminds me of people I knew back in the day that SWORE they cared about a date's personality first, and kept dating beautiful meanspirited hateful people.

Personally I think the Honda E is adorable, and has a fun design.

The problem is that when /I/ think this, it usually means the device is going to be hated by most 'normal' people. Which is fair. Opinions vary, sometimes consistently.

Weird number.

Happily driving The Gonk 70 (Shock Yellow 2019 Bolt)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Everyone says this.. and then they pass on the Bolt because it's "Fine car, good range, decent value but ugly so I want a Tesla."
Chevrolet Spark, a subcompact car, is GM Korea's best selling car. Unfortunately, due to its popularity and somewhat similar design/style, a lot of Koreans mistake Bolt EV as a Spark. So the saying goes, "Fine car, good range, decent value, but looks like a Spark, so I want a (Hyundai) Kona."
Dimitrij likes this.

Range Anxiety?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley View Post
Chevrolet Spark, a subcompact car, is GM Korea's best selling car. Unfortunately, due to its popularity and somewhat similar design/style, a lot of Koreans mistake Bolt EV as a Spark. So the saying goes, "Fine car, good range, decent value, but looks like a Spark, so I want a (Hyundai) Kona."
Just curious but... are Koreans generally more 'practically driven' than Americans?, which is something no one ever mistakes us for being as a group. We choose form over functionality almost every time if given an equal choice. Impractical but sexy at the sacrifice of comfort or price in order to impress or keep up with the Joneses.

I'm wondering if the reason the Spark is the best selling EV is that it's probably the most practical vehicle (size for the country's roads/space, price, dependability, etc) rather than Koreans think it's an 'attractive' car... which is the main thing Americans seem to discount vehicles on.

If we donated a dollar to the National Debt every time someone in the USA claims "I don't care about looks" in a society like ours where it's practically a staple when rejecting things that make sense because of appearance, we'd have no deficit.
Sibilance likes this.

Last edited by RecessionProofDriver; 07-11-2019 at 07:18 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Quote:
Speaking of the US mass market, it's the size that counts. the Bolt, as I have opined before, needs to be at least 2" wider and 8" longer to register with US buyers as a sufficiently roomy, versatile car.

The EPA range of 240 miles/charge would be plenty enough, but the "90 miles in 30 minutes" on L3 (which is 50 miles in cold weather, and if you can find a working DCFC along your route) is clearly a major hindrance for the Bolt and other non-Tesla EV's.

Finally, the Bolt, at least its 2017 version has a whole bouquet of little, but annoying design stupidities and quality problems that should quietly go away if GM's EV is to become a commercially successful product.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page