post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
"Hitting A Pothole In A Tesla Cost $2600"

Quote:
"On my Tesla Model 3 road trip, hitting a pothole cost $2600 & 7 hours."
This is... kind of insane. Someone let Redpoint know... a plug isn't going to fix this. :P

cwerdna likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Ouch, sorry for that!

Now I feel like I got off lucky with one I hit in a P85D we rented last Spring. That cost me $300 by bending back a panel under the front bumper.

I do prefer a little more ground clearance, like in the Bolt EV...

Gary Aulfinger
The Bolt EV LT is our 5th Chevy electric. The best keep getting better!
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaulfinger View Post
Ouch, sorry for that!
No worry, that's not me lol. I'd never buy a Tesla with what I've learned about them over the last year and a half.

I would feel sorry for that guy as well, but he seems to not only take it in stride but I'm guessing can afford to pay that $2600 as no big deal. After all he did say something like "High priced sportscar, high priced costs" or words to that effect.

He probably made it back on his YouTube videos anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
In my 26 months of Bolting I have productively hit 2 potholes. That cost me 3 tires and 2 rims. The first time kEVin was in the shop for 3 working days. The second time - for 22 days, because two rims had been damaged and the 2nd rim took weeks to get. The first time I paid out of the pocket, the second time insurance covered the cost after the deductible; $900+ between the two.

I do not know why GM would fit such ultra finicky wheels and tires on a little nondescript commuter car. After the second pothole I was feeling strongly tempted to get a new, glamour-free set of rims and tires, but with a few thousand miles left on the least I probably won't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
^^^
Ouch. I'll keep that in mind if I run into such issues.

I've had a driver's license since 1991 but wasn't actually commuting full-time for work in car until 1997 and I've yet to ever need to replace a bent or broken wheel. I've had one tire failure but I wasn't driving at the time. Unclear if the driver hit road debris on the ride side of the road or what.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I scratched the lower front left anterior mud flag going up my driveway in my bold already, I don't know is there is a lot of ground clearance.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Sorta embarrassed to admit this, but I had a semi off-road excursion in my Bolt (unplanned of course) not too long ago. I was on the highway, and I started to go down an offramp when I realized at the last minute I needed to stay on the highway, so started merging back onto the highway. I failed to notice that quickly approaching was a grassy area in between the offramp and the highway that had a considerable transition (probably like 5-6 inches height different between the grass and the highway asphalt). The Bolt's left side tires ended up dropping into the grassy area, and when they hit the transition to the asphalt, I heard a loud "BANG!" and the sound of underbody scraping the pavement. I seriously thought I was in danger of flipping over. Luckily, aside from the huge bump, the Bolt stayed on all 4 wheels and I was back on the highway.

At first I was scared I had done some kind of major suspension damage or had blown out a tire or 2, but as I got back my composure, everything seemed fine with the Bolt. No low pressure alerts, no dragging sounds, and the Bolt still went straight down the road. After I got home, I checked under the Bolt and saw that there was large gash and scrapes in the plastic shield covering the battery near the left front wheel, but otherwise everything was fine. Been over 4k miles since the incident, and the Bolt has driven fine. It's a tough little car!

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
It's a tough little car!
I had a similar experience two months after ownership, but at a much, much slower pace.

Was going down an unfamiliar side city alley street when the road abruptly ended, with parking on sides. So I started a K-turn and didn't notice the irregular and broken parking concrete stops that were haphazardly around. (Night time and was tired)

Backed into the middle part of the "K" and "SCRUUUUUUTCCCCHHH!" Now I'm thinking like I was still driving my ICE vehicle; move forward, bust your oilpan or drivetrain. Move backwards to get off... bust your steering or something else. Finally decided on forward since I was halfway through, got off the broken concrete and parked.

Looked under there with the phone and didn't even puncture the plastic.. just scraped it.

I think I drove home like.. 10-15 mph just to be sure because I was so paranoid after that.

Now it's almost a year and nothing ever came of that.

Agree.. tough little car.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
I was just thinking that I spend about 30% of my driving scanning for and avoiding pot holes. I wonder if the "self-driving" cars of the future will have "pot hole avoidance" software. If not, prepare for a bumpy ride and repair expenses...
Raymondjram and Sibilance like this.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyflyjohn View Post
I was just thinking that I spend about 30% of my driving scanning for and avoiding pot holes. I wonder if the "self-driving" cars of the future will have "pot hole avoidance" software. If not, prepare for a bumpy ride and repair expenses...
I agree that newer cars, EVs or ICEVs, should have a small sonar device below the front bumper to detect deep road differences or holes, and probably increase ride height and maybe slow down to take the hole with little or no damage. I doubt a quick slide to avoid the hole would be safer as the vehicle may be traveling with other traffic and any avoidance can cause a new collision.

16kW Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed and ready
EVSE registered at PlugShare.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page