Electric pickup truck - Page 3 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

 17Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Saw this at a public charger outside National Grid headquarters in Waltham, MA a few years ago. Perhaps a prototype.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	23199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	23201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0582.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	23203  
NewsCoulomb likes this.

Last edited by JC Bolt; 11-09-2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: put in larger photos
JC Bolt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
That's an interesting port location.

I hope Chrysler is considering a PHEV truck option. The battery from the Fiat 500e would actually be a really good battery choice for a PHEV truck (with just minor adjustments to the housing). Liquid thermal management, enough capacity for about 40 miles of driving, DCFC not required.
NewsCoulomb is offline  
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 11:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Sean Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
Posts: 3,560
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
Why is a lead acid always listed a PbA? Why not PbH2SO4??? Jack thought he drank H20, but drank H2SO4 and Jack is no more.
Alas for Mr. Tompkins,
He isn't with us any more.
What he was sure was H2O
Was H2SO4
ai4px likes this.
Sean Nelson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
If someone can make a small electric pick up (think mid 90's size Ford Ranger or Dodge Dakota) that will get 200 miles of range I'd buy one. I would like a pick up but I don't even need anything as big as a "mid sized" truck in today's terms. I always liked the size of my dad's old 1996 Dodge Dakota. It had an out of breath 4 banger in it but it was good enough for home depot runs and towing a small bass boat (Pro Team 175). Think about the mid sized trucks of the 16'-19' model years and they are the same size as late 90's full sized trucks its nuts.
ai4px likes this.

2017 Black LT
zhuneycutt is offline  
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuneycutt View Post
If someone can make a small electric pick up (think mid 90's size Ford Ranger or Dodge Dakota) that will get 200 miles of range I'd buy one. I would like a pick up but I don't even need anything as big as a "mid sized" truck in today's terms. I always liked the size of my dad's old 1996 Dodge Dakota. It had an out of breath 4 banger in it but it was good enough for home depot runs and towing a small bass boat (Pro Team 175). Think about the mid sized trucks of the 16'-19' model years and they are the same size as late 90's full sized trucks its nuts.
"Out of breath" is an understatement of the year. Our old 4 cylinder Dodge Dakota could barely make it up an 8% grade (without cargo).

But this is why I think GM should just build a Colorado EV to test the waters. It could literally be the Bolt EV motor and battery pack in a FWD configuration, and I think it would sell well. The main issue is towing, so GM would have to account for that. But otherwise, you'd have a ~200 mile EPA light duty truck that I think a lot of people would find compelling.
NewsCoulomb is offline  
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsCoulomb View Post
"Out of breath" is an understatement of the year. Our old 4 cylinder Dodge Dakota could barely make it up an 8% grade (without cargo).

But this is why I think GM should just build a Colorado EV to test the waters. It could literally be the Bolt EV motor and battery pack in a FWD configuration, and I think it would sell well. The main issue is towing, so GM would have to account for that. But otherwise, you'd have a ~200 mile EPA light duty truck that I think a lot of people would find compelling.
Oh, totally agree on all all fronts that Dakota would top out at like 80 mph with my foot to the floor lol.

Absolutely on the Colorado idea. I personally don't really care about towing but i see how that would be an issue. Problem i see with that though would be that i don't think they could get it out the door for less than 40K.
NewsCoulomb likes this.

2017 Black LT

Last edited by zhuneycutt; 11-10-2018 at 12:29 AM.
zhuneycutt is offline  
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 01:15 AM
Senior Member
 
DucRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
The manufacturer that is flying under the radar is also most likely to be the first to market with a full sized BEV pickup with real range (up to 450 miles) and performance (sub 3 second 0-60). They're not big on hype and announcements, but purchased a former Mitsubishi plant in Illinois and will very likely be shipping vehicles within a year. Haven't seen them mentioned in this thread yet. The Rivian A1T will start at ~$50K for a 200 miler and go up to $90K for the 450 mile 800HP top of the line configuration.
NewsCoulomb likes this.

Gary
2018 Honda Clarity Electric
2014 Honda Fit EV - goodbye after 5 years
(Re)Lease expires Jan 2019
NDEW City Captain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association (OEVA)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DucRider is online now  
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Lin19687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bedford, MA
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
You are correct, not a few are being developed. I don't know of any by GM.

The only manufacturers I'm aware of are Tesla and Workhorse.



A folding Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer would accomplish the things you mention, and could easily be towed by the Bolt. It fits in my 2 car garage along with 2 cars, a motorcycle, 5 bicycles, a futon, air compressor, workbench, and assorted tools.

I've towed 1800 lbs of topsoil with my Prius using one.





Not my garage, but here's what it looks like folded:


true, but then I have to Modify the Bolt and pay for Registration and Inspection every year. Easier to get a truck lol But that is a good idea.



Someone printed me out a sheet of pick ups that are already in production, I think mostly Europe but also Canada !

-Lin
67517, 5-17
Lin19687 is offline  
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucRider View Post
The manufacturer that is flying under the radar is also most likely to be the first to market with a full sized BEV pickup with real range (up to 450 miles) and performance (sub 3 second 0-60). They're not big on hype and announcements, but purchased a former Mitsubishi plant in Illinois and will very likely be shipping vehicles within a year. Haven't seen them mentioned in this thread yet. The Rivian A1T will start at ~$50K for a 200 miler and go up to $90K for the 450 mile 800HP top of the line configuration.
Hmm, very interesting. I am a fan of those who do without feeling the need to talk about it.

From what I've been able to find, it looks like they might be testing with Ford bodies? And it looks like they are testing CCS hardware. This should be sweet.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/13/...ts-ford-f-150/
NewsCoulomb is offline  
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Osceola Arkansas
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin19687 View Post
I will be the 1st to buy and all EV pick up.
I miss my F-350 Diesel but I can squeeze most things in the Bolt. Just would be nice to load up some 20 cinder blocks or plywood sheets and not have to really think about it.
I agree so much!

I had an F-350 Diesel with the largest cab, and an 8' bed (single rear wheel, not a dually)... I would purchase an EV pickup so fast it would make your head spin if the price is low enough. In the meantime I installed a Draw-Tite hitch and purchased a used 5' x 8' utility trailer.

Later,

Keith
Fivedoor is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome