Warning about latest OnStar emails for free data plan! - Page 2 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmichel View Post
This is a bit of a long explanation, but the phrase "I never understood" triggered me. Well, there is often an assumption that a smart phone is essential to everyone and everyone has one. I have not owned a smart phone since Apple's original incarnation of the iPhone. I gave that thing up in disgust for poor reception on the old cellular network, and the final straw when all my favorite apps suddenly would not upgrade or work unless I bought the next version of the phone. A problem that still exists today, and BTW in Europe Apple has been hauled across hot coals for deliberately slowing down phones so that people will buy new ones.
Speaking of triggers......

Working in tech, I can say that apps not working unless you buy the next version is almost never true. There are several issues at play here. One of those is that app developers, having more powerful CPUs and more memory to work with, write apps that require more of of the device if they are to run. So a lot of that can be put on the shoulders of app developers.

As far as "deliberately" slowing phones, Apple did this, yes, but not not "require" upgrades. Rather, to try and extend battery life. As I'd think folks in this forum would know, battery capacity shrinks over time. Apple thought that as batteries aged, putting less of a load on them might extend their useful life. Apple's error was not communicating this clearly when they did it, probably based on some hubris that no one would notice.

And the network thing is most definitely not Apple's fault. My first iPhone ran on AT&T's 3G network, which, as it turns out, they'd done a horrible job with here in the Bat Area. When I upgraded after a couple of years, I found that they had done a MUCH better job on their 4G/LTE network. Unless there is an actual problem with a specific device's hardware, connectivity issues are almost always the network provider's fault.

That all said, they are not a "need." But considering their capabilities, they make many modern day tasks efficient, easy, and often even pleasant. Which is why when I buy my Bolt, I'll use my iPhone and my Pixel XL for navigation, music, and many of the services that Chevy wants subscription money for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twriter View Post
That all said, they (iphone) are not a "need." But considering their capabilities, they make many modern day tasks efficient, easy, and often even pleasant. Which is why when I buy my Bolt, I'll use my iPhone and my Pixel XL for navigation, music, and many of the services that Chevy wants subscription money for.
Almost, anything an iPhone can do can be done with an iPad. All I do is use an iPad instead of the phone. However, Apple car play does not work with an iPad, so I don't use car play. Is just one app as far as I am concerned. Using OnStar's unlimited wireless internet access and a dumb phone between them let me do anything I need without subscribing to an iPhone. I just subscribe to OnStar instead, it comes out to be a reasonable deal, and I don't have to peer at a small iPhone screen at my advanced age. If you really pushed me into a corner, the iPhone is too small to do all the things I do on my iPads and Macs, and I do a great deal with them, both professionally and for home. I can go on more, but I think I said most of it below. I do think that the OnStar navigation app is vastly underrated. I have used Google Maps for navigation over thousands of miles of long distance driving in my Bolt EV, and switched to OnStar navi with great relief. It really is a robust, clean navigation app, which has worked extremely well for me. Most people comment on OnStar with horror, for reasons that are more reactionary than reasoned, but I find there are no clothes on the critics.

Chevy Bolt EV driver since July 1, 2017
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twriter View Post
And the network thing is most definitely not Apple's fault. My first iPhone ran on AT&T's 3G network, which, as it turns out, they'd done a horrible job with here in the Bat Area. When I upgraded after a couple of years, I found that they had done a MUCH better job on their 4G/LTE network. Unless there is an actual problem with a specific device's hardware, connectivity issues are almost always the network provider's fault.
The original iPhone worked on the 2G network, and it really was horrible. I gave up phoning people in the end, and only used it on a wireless network. Compared to today's iphones, and the then extant dumb phones, it was nasty when used on 2G, but I loved it on wireless networks, because it had a bunch of apps that were portable, one of which was just plain email. However, I stopped traveling as much, and urgency became less of an issue; i could wait to read my emails, so I dumped the beast. I have two or three of them for sale, if you fancy opening a museum..... just remember, the apps don't work....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiesel1 View Post
They tried to get one the first day I activated my trail account. They were very aggressive in trying to get a card.
I've had my car a month now and today I finally signed up for the basic plan. They did try to get my CC data, I told them that I don't use plastic. Then they wanted my bank account info. I declined.
In the same conversation they offered me the data plan for 3 mo's instead of 1 mo free, if I gave them account info. I believe this is the same plan mentioned in this thread. I declined that too, don't need a hotspot when I'm trying to drive.

FWIW, as soon as they activated my account (I was sitting in car) my clock instantly updated the previously incorrect time. Bottom line, Time setting of "Automatic via Cell tower" should really say Automatic via OnStar. Not having an active OnStar account is what was preventing my clock from maintaining accurate time.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon8491 View Post
I've had my car a month now and today I finally signed up for the basic plan......... don't need a hotspot when I'm trying to drive.

FWIW, as soon as they activated my account (I was sitting in car) my clock instantly updated the previously incorrect time.
I find the hotspot great for my grandchildren's iPads while ferrying them about; for checking google maps from my non-cellular iPad when on long-distance journeys; checking my home security system when away from home; and numerous other small tasks. My own portable hotspot is just magical for me, AND it is a very powerful hotspot - the cellular reception that drives the wireless connection is rock solid.

As for the updating of clocks remotely, I don't remember them being updated remotely in my 1960s and later cars. I always had to adjust the clocks myself - so what's the big deal? What's new is that our cars are data driven. As I said elsewhere on here, we should be given a discount on services if we allow GM to collect our data, and we need a button on the dash to turn off data flow, so we can drive incognito.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I find the hotspot great for my grandchildren's iPads while ferrying them about; for checking google maps from my non-cellular iPad when on long-distance journeys; checking my home security system when away from home; and numerous other small tasks. My own portable hotspot is just magical for me, AND it is a very powerful hotspot - the cellular reception that drives the wireless connection is rock solid.
Certainly those are great uses of a hotspot. I agree it is magical. I am almost never in a position where your listed reasons fit into my life. This past summer I did have a couple of occasions where I needed to use my iPhone as a hotspot when I was traveling. That is rare and I am not willing to pay for a data plan that is only occasionally needed. I share the minimum data plan with my wife's phone. We rarely use more than a few hundred MB/month. When dcfc becomes built out on the routes I am likely to travel then there may be a very good reason to rethink my decision.

Quote:
As for the updating of clocks remotely, I don't remember them being updated remotely in my 1960s and later cars. I always had to adjust the clocks myself - so what's the big deal? What's new is that our cars are data driven. As I said elsewhere on here, we should be given a discount on services if we allow GM to collect our data, and we need a button on the dash to turn off data flow, so we can drive incognito.
You are right, this is the very first car I have ever owned that remotely updates the clock. And it's only the second car (of the dozen or so) I have owned in the last 50 years that even came with a clock. The big deal is that there is no information to indicate that 'via cell tower' does not mean what it implies. Put it is the manual and you would not find the few of us folks who never created an OnStar account asking why their clock didn't reset. One of the reasons I did not want an OnStar account is to drive incognito. Incongnito is the reason my internet connection is heavily filtered to block incoming data. It is the reason my file at 4 credit reporting agencies is frozen. Yesterday I found the GM site that allows me to opt-out. It's bookmarked so next week I can look at it more carefully and selectively increase my privacy.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
I did not give OnStar my CC info to get the additional 2 months of "free service." It would have automatically renewed after the 3 months. So I did not get the Email referenced in this thread. However, I got the same offer by mail last week. $25 per month for unlimited internet and a pitch for additional services. Since I already use and pay for a smartphone with a data package, I really don't see a need for OnStar.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon8491 View Post
..... One of the reasons I did not want an OnStar account is to drive incognito. Incongnito is the reason my internet connection is heavily filtered to block incoming data. It is the reason my file at 4 credit reporting agencies is frozen. Yesterday I found the GM site that allows me to opt-out. It's bookmarked so next week I can look at it more carefully and selectively increase my privacy.
Opt-out of what? Do you have the link? If it is merely opting out of OnStar, its my understanding GM still keeps track of you. You will only be opting out of your use of the internet from your car as far as I understand.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Opt-out of what? Do you have the link? If it is merely opting out of OnStar, its my understanding GM still keeps track of you. You will only be opting out of your use of the internet from your car as far as I understand.
Sorry that my comment was confusing. I was referring to opt out of GM marketing. The page containing that info has about a dozen check boxes, I haven't looked at it yet. I commented on that specifically in reference to 'incognito'. As for OnStar, yes, it is also my understanding that the black box under the dash will track you. In my '06 Truck I unplugged it. I don't think I will do that with the Bolt as there are probably too many interconnected do-dads that rely on the info it tracks.

Referring to the Internet: I believe I would need an OnStar data plan to use the Internet via the onboard cell connection (provided by OnStar). I did give them my payment info so the 1 mo free dataplan will expire after 1 mo. I did not sign up for OnStar until about a month after purchasing the car so I believe it has already expired w/o me ever using it.

AFAIK, I have the 5 yr basic plan that is free. What it covers is spelled out at OnStar's site, I don't specifically recall and it doesn't really matter to me. All I wanted was to know how the clock received it's sync signal and by signing up to OnStar and watching it immediately sync at the moment of account activation confirmed that OnStar does it. Now I can wait until March and see if my free basic plan includes clock sync. I presume it does based on a number of comments I've read from folks that say their clock sync'd and they don't pay OnStar anything. But those folks apparently have an account at OnStar. I even still had an OnStar account in their system for my '05 GMC and I haven't paid them a penny in 10+ yrs. and the device has been unplugged for several years.

The link for GM opt-out is: GM Opt-out

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page