User Tag List

3Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
$60 crossbars

As promised (in the crossbar thread), I installed and tested the TAC Truck Accessories Cross Bars that you can get on Amazon for $57.

The XT5 crossbars that some people were using looked cramped to me, needed modding, and still cost over $150. With these, you just need to enlarge four of the pre-drilled holes and because they're "universal" bars they can still be used on other cars too.

Here's a photo write up:

Here are the bars intact with the locking key.

Slide off the post and pull out the rubber insert.

With a 1/4" bit, enlarge the center hole on the bottom. This is where it'll bolt to the pre-drilled roof rail mounts. I propped the post on a 2x4 before drilling.

After enlarging the hole, reinsert the rubber insert and drill through it again. After that, your bolt should fit perfectly. I had a bunch of bolts in my motorcycle bolt kit but otherwise you'll need a trip to the hardware store (IIRC they're 6 mm).

This is what the post looks like attached.

Here's the inside with the bolt attached

Because of the gap, I cut out some foam inserts from a spare kayak block. Shoving them into the gap also makes sure the crossbars don't twist (since they're only being held with a single bolt).

Here's the finished product.

So far I've tested it over the last three days, putting over 200 miles with speeds up to 75 mph. My 130-mile commute went from 2.7-3.0mi/kwh to 2.6-2.7. Other than that, the bars held up just fine. Slight whistling at 30-35 mph if you have your windows down. Otherwise, windows up, you'll hear wind/whistling with crosswinds or if you're going over 70 mph. I'll post another update when the weather clears up and I can test a roof box or kayaks. Enjoy!
ai4px and MarksBolt like this.

Last edited by Nemy; 12-17-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Have you put a load on the bars? The clamps look like they're plastic in your pictures.

FAIR is a four letter "F" word
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No load test yet because it's been raining too much. Hopefully I can update after this weekend with a loaded/unloaded roof box.

The clamps are plastic but (at least bolted down) they're solidly attached - I tried to force them off the rails and stopped when the roof rails themselves looked like they would come off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
That's quite a deal. I may have to ask Santa for a pair!

You could also use a security type screw on the inside where it attaches to the rails?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Tried to order these on Amazon.com, but TAC won’t ship to Canada. Any suggestions?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwizard View Post
Tried to order these on Amazon.com, but TAC wonít ship to Canada. Any suggestions?
Itís not much of a drive across to Niagara Falls. Order them & list your shipping address as the UPS store on military rd, Niagara Falls.
I do that fairly often with auto parts, or anything that results in ridiculously high rates to get to Canada.
Be aware UpS will charge $5, & $1/day for storage. Be sure to list a phone #, UPS will call when item arrives, so you donít go down for nothing. Declare item on return, they never bothered with anything up to $100 previously, & the limit went higher under NAFTA 2.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwizard View Post
Tried to order these on Amazon.com, but TAC wonít ship to Canada. Any suggestions?
render unto Caesar

2018 Premier
Gray Metallic
May '18

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolterado View Post
That's quite a deal. I may have to ask Santa for a pair!

You could also use a security type screw on the inside where it attaches to the rails?
It actually worked out better for me to use my motorcycle bolts since I can use the same hex key to remove everything. I never keep crossbars on when I'm done using them, though, so I don't generally worry about security.

Even if someone gets the rail bolt off, though, it would take some force to yank it off without removing the inside bolt (which is locked). So it'd be pretty obvious to people passing by and it'd still be locked and useless to the thief.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Anyone know how long the 6mm bolts should be?

2019 Bolt Premier
Cajun Red, exterior, Dark Galvanized Gray interior
DCII, Infotainment, DCFC

Former:

2017 Volt LT (Gen 2)
2012 Volt LT (Gen 1)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksBolt View Post
Anyone know how long the 6mm bolts should be?

For my custom attachment points (that were simple perforated angle iron), I went to Home Depot and got three different sizes of stainless 6mm bolts, based on guessing. I took back the ones that didn't fit right. I think I ended up with 3/4" or so. The threads are counter-sunk a bit, so you do need some depth.

Works well if you have an HD within bicycle distance, have time, and want the exercise.
MarksBolt likes this.

Driving electric since 1997!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.